Everyone is quiet now

I still tune in to the forum but don't post a lot as I too got sick of the constant negativity from the D&Gs. I miss Alexlee whose posts always made me think.
Me too!

Thankfully, Alex and I still bounce emails around so I have access to his views and insight. I won't betray his trust by sharing those thoughts publicly though as that's his right.

What I will say though, is that there really are a lot of positive investors out there right now buying up, or at least positioning themselves to do so in the near future. I am personally at my servicability limits at present with interest rates where they are, but have pre-approval to develop my MUH site in Mona Vale. I'm just waiting for sentiment to turn, probably on the back of a few interest rate cuts, before I tender and build. I'm really excited about the positive prospects, particularly for Sydney property, and can't wait to start developing around mid-2009.

In the meantime, I share what I can and remain active on the forum, even though my investment strategy is locked in and requires no action in the short term beyond watching and waiting.

Cheers,
Michael

For as long as the media was full of spruikers spending millions advertising to teach people how to make millions in a few years, everyone in interested in RE. You will also find that most never end up doing much more than reading about it. And when markets are depressed, interest just dies.
Some of those that have invested then seem to believe those spruikers that RE never goes down, and you cant lose in RE. As soon as they buy, all the reasons in the world for RE to boom come out. Any hint of disagreeing, then your a negative person who see's only doom & gloom. They cannot see anything other than black or white.

Well markets go up, and markets go down. You can find all the reasons you want to justify why, but that's how it always happens.
And it's normal that during a boom (stock or RE) nobody pays any attention to the downside risks.
There's a market saying:

Those with the money end up with the experience, and those with experience end up with the money

--

What's more interesting is you look beyond the present: the son with girlfriend is 24 years old. The daughter goes to Uni next year. Fast forward 5 years. You need 2 more houses.
KY

We have less people per household than most countries, looks like they are gonna have to learn to get along with and live their family instead of being selfish want it all's :)

They told me they could only increase 10% every year.

I did'nt know we now had the Price Police here.

Those with the money end up with the experience, and those with experience end up with the money
kudos!

I'm sig'ing that quote... :D

A bit like, you've got to be in it to win it, or obstacles are put in our way to test just how much we really want to succeed. But that quote is far more precise.

Cheers,
Michael

I am positive about investing regardless of my bearish view of the present ecomomic environment.

Personally I think downturns can be great opportunities to assess investments and lay foundations ready for the next up turn. I like hearing from those more bearish posters that have knowlegde and experience in ways to adjust and capitalize in such environments.

It's the D&Gers that come here to stir, show resentment and distain, and blame PI's for all the ills of society :rolleyes:, that annoys me. They are not constructive in anyway and more effort should be made to ignore them.

I also miss Alexlees posts and hope he returns.

I don't have a problem with the D&Gers... it is good to hear both sides of the story. In my many many arguments with D&Gers I have actually learned quite a lot, mainly because they force me to conduct further research in order to properly refute their gloomy assertions.

I was actually a GHPC member for about 6 months, but they banned me in the end... apparently my bullish views on property were deemed too disruptive over there! :D

To the people who don't want to read the Bull vs Bear arguments... just don't read those threads. Those arguments tend to only appear in two areas of the forum anyway... this sub-forum, and the 'Property Market Economics' sub-forum.

Shadow.

I agree... the constant to-ing and fro-ing about whether the world will end and what interest rates will do next becomes tedious.

But the world WILL end.

A guy I bumped into on the street the other day said so.

He said it would end yesterday.

I actually don't mind the D&G'ers; they add some contrary views, and that's fine.

I like to post against them in the attempt to provide info for the newbies who are reading, and generally just to show them up for their lack of real-life knowledge when they start to get ridiculous.

Anyone can say the market's gunna crash and you'll all lose, but it takes experience to be able to say that a crash is good, bring it on so I can make some more money. That's what the GHPC D&G'ers can't bring to the discussion.

What annoys me with them is how they only say the future is black, when we know that you can do well when the markets are down - maybe not in yields (although rents keep going up), or cap gain, but in purchase price, or in a development project etc, and setting yourself up for the next wave. And there always is another wave.

So I'll still hang around, annoy the idiots and attempt to help the real learners.

Last edited:
I can't for the life of me think why someone would want a property and investing forum where everyone was only interested in good news and boom times and property never drops.
But you DO get a nice warm feeling pithing in each other's pockets. :D (Sorry about the speech defect)

Dont get me wrong but if I was a newbie and saw some of these posts I'd be finding something else to read or surfing for another website for info.

From review of some of the other sites this would appear to be the case and it seems that the knowledge base on the forum has eroded significantly.

So yes Gato, IMO youre right.

The D & G on Somersoft of late is just an interesting reflection of people's sentiment out in the real world at this time. It doesn't bother me, it is useful. I was hoping it would go on a while longer and prices would take a real hammering so I can buy very well, plenty of sellers, stuff all buyers, good price and great yeild. We have done very well buying under these circumstances in the past, just the opportunity hasn't been there for quite some time.

Louise

I just joined this forum so i am finding my way around, however, my initial impression is that there are some seriously knowledgable people here and that is why most of us are here - to share our knowledge and learn from each other.
Wherever you go you will have D&G - that's life as they say - let them have their say and use their negativity to drive us optimists forward!
Long 88 - top post, thanks for that!
LA Aussie - same!

I joined up in January 2008 and have noticed the "slump" on Somersoft. Like property, forums go through cycles too and when interest rates start falling and property starts to rise again, watch the enthusiasm and excitement come back! I think a lot of people are feeling the effects right now of having lost money and this is showing by the lack of posts.

Anyone can say the market's gunna crash and you'll all lose, but it takes experience to be able to say that a crash is good, bring it on so I can make some more money. That's what the GHPC D&G'ers can't bring to the discussion.

What annoys me with them is how they only say the future is black, when we know that you can do well when the markets are down - maybe not in yields (although rents keep going up), or cap gain, but in purchase price, or in a development project etc, and setting yourself up for the next wave. And there always is another wave.

So I'll still hang around, annoy the idiots and attempt to help the real learners.

1. Of course a crash is good - for those not in it, but wanting to get in it. Or for those already in it, those who don't mind losing a little to gain a lot, a crash is probably even better... Of course all GHPC posters are different, but it seems to me that the majority of them (us?) have no issue with long term property investors - but rather those who overleveraged speculators, who ignored record low yields, on the expectation of endless capital gain, on endlessly cheap capital.

For the more malicious GHPCers, it's something akin to getting late to a buffet, with no food left, only to see the health inspectors declare that whoever scraped the bottom of the dishes, probably got a good dose of salmonella. For some, there is a sense of schaedenfraude (sp? German is not that good) with a sense of revenge for those who missed out.

I bear nobody any ill will. However, I have no sympathy for anyone who borrowed at 7% at the edge of their finances, and didn't budget for a substantial interest rate rise. I have been pestered by parentss and other well wisers since 2005 to buy a Sydney house... I didn't think rates would stay this low forever - although the slowness at which the rates rose, and the market fell, surprised me. In some of the suburbs I'm looking at, I'm already ahead 25%, without even considering what my money was earning me in the bank. In others, property values have held nominal values, or even gained a few percent but are down in real terms...

So tell me, did my skepticism and "doom and gloomness" cost me much?

2. Of course you can do well when the market is down - but is it down? Half of Somersoft is claiming the market is still growing, half are claiming it's already crashed, and therefore a great time to get back in. GHPCers are relatively unified on the fact that the pain has only begun - that it's not one single market, but a cascading falling market, which moves from the outer suburbs to the inner.

I hate the phrase "I'm in this for the long term". Bull. (and not the market condition either). Any investor that doesn't at least look at opportunity cost is nothing more than an uneducated speculator riding on the back of a good wave. If it takes 3 years for you to regain a 5% loss, (1 year loss, 1 year flat, 1 year gain), then that's 3 years where you were paying interest, and not earning money in another asset class.

Sure, the entry and exit costs might not justify an exit. No point paying 10% in entry and exit costs if your loss was only going to be 5%, but then why would you buy "just before the crash" and say "I'm in this for the long term"? Heck, if you bought just before black tuesday, you would have been waiting 9 years to get your money back in nominal terms, let alone real terms. In it for the long term indeed.

Both sides of the equations have their herd followers, their dreamers, and their idiots... You only have to look at some SS posts asking ridiculous questions that demonstrate an absolute ignorance of accounting, business and law, but thankfully, they're not the majority.

Being pessimistic in this environment is a survival trait, not idiocy.

Not sure where everyone has went, but i sure hope folks dont stop sharing on this forum. I have so much stuff to learn and ask, that only a forum like this can help.

As for the the 'DG'ers. They might be unpopular according to some, but I appreciate the different perspectives.
Even if the only positive thing about their posts is that it provokes the 'opposition' to chime in and reiterate whatever facts - its a learning process either way.

So where ever u buggers are, come back soon! :D

Forums go through cycles

I joined up in January 2008 and have noticed the "slump" on Somersoft. Like property, forums go through cycles too and when interest rates start falling and property starts to rise again, watch the enthusiasm and excitement come back! I think a lot of people are feeling the effects right now of having lost money and this is showing by the lack of posts.

Thats kind of what I was getting at. Has the market really crashed that badly that people are losing money though? Doesnt seem to be down that much? (thats probably the topic for a different thread).
I wonder if the renovating threads are more active now? People still own portfolios dont they? I guess there's less talk about the logistics of buying.

I think you are right Bludger.

I for one have been studying and as a result of Interest Rates ahve had to go back to work a few days a week. I'm also researching shares as another form of income. I log in between jobs, but tend to only reply on something I can give a quickish answer on.

I also have started to avoid the really philosophical threads, or ones I have to read over carefully. I just haven't got the time these days.

Regards Jo:)

Has the market really crashed that badly that people are losing money though?

By losing money, I also mean having lost equity in your home and IP's, the ability to borrow to buy more IP's due to the credit crunch and the daily dose of doom and gloom in the media. I mean, what's there to get excited and talk about? It's like watching your favourite football team lose the Grand Final. Bet you wouldn't be talking footy for a while until the following season where they are on a roll and have won the first 10 games!

sorry guys, im quiet here...

i cant get internet connection to my bunker, i been spending all my time in there as i belive the sky is falling in and want to be in a safe spot from debris. and when im outside i quickly run onto GHPC to see what i should do next and when it safe to move back into the house..

Good Post Sunder.

I've put some responses in red.

1. Of course a crash is good - for those not in it, but wanting to get in it. Or for those already in it, those who don't mind losing a little to gain a lot, a crash is probably even better... Of course all GHPC posters are different, but it seems to me that the majority of them (us?) have no issue with long term property investors - but rather those who overleveraged speculators, who ignored record low yields, on the expectation of endless capital gain, on endlessly cheap capital.
I'm in this supposed crash, and not selling anything. In fact, I'm looking to buy more. But, the cashflow has to be good, and fortunately I've got the low LVR to be able to buy.
The over-leveraged always exist, and at both ends of the wealth spectrum. They get burned one way or another; it's part of life unfortunately. What I deplore is the D&G'ers who plonk everyone in this basket, assume we are all massively over-leveraged neg geared specufestor Ponzi Nazis, and tell us we will ALL go down, yet they own no properties. HUH?

For the more malicious GHPCers, it's something akin to getting late to a buffet, with no food left, only to see the health inspectors declare that whoever scraped the bottom of the dishes, probably got a good dose of salmonella. For some, there is a sense of schaedenfraude (sp? German is not that good) with a sense of revenge for those who missed out.
It's obvious from the tone of many of their posts that they are bitter, or angry, or jealous etc on missing out on the last boom, or the one before etc. Too bad. I wish I'd bought Microsoft in 1985 instead of my first PPoR, but I'm not saying HA HA at the share investors in the current crash.

I bear nobody any ill will. However, I have no sympathy for anyone who borrowed at 7% at the edge of their finances, and didn't budget for a substantial interest rate rise. I have been pestered by parentss and other well wisers since 2005 to buy a Sydney house... I didn't think rates would stay this low forever - although the slowness at which the rates rose, and the market fell, surprised me. In some of the suburbs I'm looking at, I'm already ahead 25%, without even considering what my money was earning me in the bank. In others, property values have held nominal values, or even gained a few percent but are down in real terms...
So, if they are down in real terms, are you going shopping soon?

So tell me, did my skepticism and "doom and gloomness" cost me much?
Probably not, but how would you have felt if the market had doubled again in the last 3 years when you didn't buy? The thing about listening to D&Gers is there are always going to be some around, and it will be in every area of your life. Most of the more important accomplishments in life were by people who wouldn't be told NO. You cannot listen to negative sentiment, because for ever person not investing in a down market, there is another who is, and who will do well if they have the knowledge.

2. Of course you can do well when the market is down - but is it down? Half of Somersoft is claiming the market is still growing, half are claiming it's already crashed, and therefore a great time to get back in. GHPCers are relatively unified on the fact that the pain has only begun - that it's not one single market, but a cascading falling market, which moves from the outer suburbs to the inner.
It's all about your point of view. The experienced investors are saying a slowdown, and are looking forward to it, the D&Gers are saying run for the hills, and are hoping they can pick up a house for 50% of what it costs now, because that's what they believe (hope) the properties are really worth.
I agree that there is a slow-down coming; higher rates, neg sentiment, no easy finance anymore - it's gotta lead to a period of no or little growth, or even dropping values (in some areas). The important thing is; what are you going to do about it? The D&Gers say "park you cash in the Bank, buy gold, property is crashing".
Me; I'm thinking "wow; cheaper properties, better yields, less competition; let's go shopping". This is a totally different mindset; I'm thinking forward to the next cycle and how to capitalise on the upcoming slowdown.

I hate the phrase "I'm in this for the long term". Bull. (and not the market condition either). Any investor that doesn't at least look at opportunity cost is nothing more than an uneducated speculator riding on the back of a good wave. If it takes 3 years for you to regain a 5% loss, (1 year loss, 1 year flat, 1 year gain), then that's 3 years where you were paying interest, and not earning money in another asset class.
True, but if you are looking at property as a longer term asset (say; 10 years or more), then to buy in a slump and wait a few years for the next growth cycle is part of the strategy. It doesn't work for short-term flipping or trading in this climate, but flipping and trading is not investing.
Also, don't forget that you can create your own growth through buying low, doing renos, increasing the rents, adding value, depreciation etc. These factors maximise the return, and allow the investor to outperform the market and go against the trend/sentiment. Sorta like buying the worst house in the best street and stuff like that.

Sure, the entry and exit costs might not justify an exit. No point paying 10% in entry and exit costs if your loss was only going to be 5%, but then why would you buy "just before the crash" and say "I'm in this for the long term"? Heck, if you bought just before black tuesday, you would have been waiting 9 years to get your money back in nominal terms, let alone real terms. In it for the long term indeed.
But how far did the stock market crash on that Tuesday?
People who buy at the wrong time have to say they're in it for the long term to make themselves feel better, and keep the hope going. It's like the share investor who says "It's only a paper loss; I'll only lose if I sell". Unfortunately, sometimes the shares remain worthless forever. At least with property, it does come back, and I'm yet to see any property go down so much in value that it won't get back to the normal growth rates after 10 years. The seller in any given time frame can make a big loss, but they sell at the wrong time and in unfavourable circumstances. It's not the house's fault. It's still there in 20 years time. It's operator error.

Both sides of the equations have their herd followers, their dreamers, and their idiots... You only have to look at some SS posts asking ridiculous questions that demonstrate an absolute ignorance of accounting, business and law, but thankfully, they're not the majority.

Being pessimistic in this environment is a survival trait, not idiocy.
I don't agree. Being pessimistic with no real-life knowledge will cost you a chance to make money in a down market. Then what happens is these types are late to the party when the next one starts, and often have to sell out because they got caught up in the euphoria, but couldn't hold the investment. They then sell at a loss, and blame the world. Real-life experience allows you to see the opportunities in a down market, and capitalise.
I have no problem with ignorance. My whole working life has been dealing with people who can't play golf and want to know how to do it. I'm happy to teach them if they are willing to learn, and not try to tell me how it should be done from a position of less skill and less knowledge. The problem with many of these D&Gers, is this is what they do here. They don't have any real life experience, and don't want accept the words of the ones who do. They quote models and stats, and keep arguing the point and keep answering with "yes, but, I read this paper, and I saw this graph, and the SMH said..." without the real life experience to make informed comments.

Good Post Sunder.

I've put some responses in red.

Well thought out responses LAA. There's nothing there I'd choose to butt horns against, even if there may be a slight difference in our final conclusions of things... It seems we both agree that ignorance is no way to get rich, and there are ignoramuses who got in at the peak, and ignoramuses who will never get in. It seems we both agree that ignorant people also shouldn't be teaching. It does seem however, we're chosing to single out the teaching ignoramuses on the opposite side, and perhaps that causes more friction than necessary. If I didn't think there were a majority of experienced, intelligent people here, I wouldn't waste my time here. Same on GHPC.

In response to one question, yes, I am buying soon. So far I have missed one house which I thought was a great investment - not because I wasn't willing to bid enough, but because I missed a turn off and got in just as the hammer was coming down... There have been a couple other "If you'd just drop another 7% off your asking price, I'd buy it", with no cigar.

So... Soon. Very soon.

Back