Excavating land

I have recently put a refundable deposit on some land in mernda. The issue we now have is that is has slightly more than 2m fall and metricon wont build on it. They will however build if we can get it excavated to a flat surface. Is there a loan available that has an allowance for excavation as our current one wont loan against excavation that isnt linked to metricon.

I am getting quotes at the moment to level the block but if it does exceed 10-15k the problem would then be the amount of deposit we have left. I would much rather get it built into a loan. Would it be worth getting a personal loan then refinancing it into the mortgage loan once the house is secured.

Get a few quotes, I had my backyard leveled by a BOBCAT and 50 cubic square meters of crap removed from my yard all for $1k cash. First bloke quoted $2k

I have a feeling that it will cost more than 2k as there is around 300m2 of dirt that needs to be levelled and probably a little bit of filling as well. I will be getting quotes this weekend so will hopefully have a better idea then. There may also be rock removal involed which could add up.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of serious retaining walls.

And check that levelling won't create water or erosion problems for other blocks in serious rain otherwise you will be up for remedial expenses to prevent that.
Marg

Hi,

Have you talked to Metricon about paying a little extra for them to include excavation on this site??

I find it difficult to fathom that in the current economic climate that they would risk losing a sale over a little bit of excavation on a site.

bye

I strongly reccomend that you do not build with metricon!
Avoid like a blood stained hungry vampire that breathes out fire.

There are a few people that have had good luck with them in the past, but plenty of people i know over the last 7 or 8 years have had some absolute horror stories.

Well at first glance the houses seemed perfect, but on close inspection there were heaps of absolutely disgracefull problems! From studs being over 600mm apart on a double story house, to bricks not being level, or parrallel, mortar missing, plaster not being glued on, etc. All these problems are just from a house that was just "finished" but the unhappy purchaser is still trying to get issues fixed. His house started getting built over a year ago.

Heaps of issues that you may possibly not notice on final inspection, but as the years go on they will become obvious. They have a big warranty, but even bigger is the number of pages and loopholes within.

Have heard good things about various smaller builders, but of all the people i know that have built a house, metirconartists are the only builder i have heard negative feedback from.

Also consider that in a cut and fill situation, the foundations will have to go deeper on the filled portion of the land or a more substantial house slab (read more expensive) is required.

I initially had a budget of 15k for site cost I think this should cover most of it. But I will find out from metricon later this week. I have heard horror stories from all volume builders and my personaly builder will be checking the site as often as he can so I am confident we wont get as many hassles as an unassuming client.

Back