Exciting times ahead

Because a lender pulled out of Canada, when one of our mortgages came up for renewal, we are required to find a new one.
We figured we might as borrow all we can from this property's equity.The left over funds are going to finance downpayments on a few more houses. (that's the plan anyways)
We put an ad on our version of Gumtree, saying we are willing to do Rent to Owns.Prices are down, so it seemed like a great time.Response was unbelievable.In 10 days we have had 53 replies asking for help, of which 30 seem to be serious.We will be lucky to be able to help 4. (not bad for about $40 K)
There is also a property I like, that is a money making machine. This will be my first purchase, because of the cash flow.It won't be a Rent to Own initially.
Price of property is $150K for a 4 bedroom house, and 4 mobile homes (14X 60) all on 2.23 acres. Just on the outskirts of town. Perfect location.The owner collects $2430 a month.Mortgage would be $986 month. Taxes and insurance would be about $5k a year. That's cashflow of $1443 a month. His rents are grossly undervalued.
Without a raise in an eyebrow, we would easily get an extra $650 a month. This is why we will need to ask for vacanct possession.

For the Rent to Own's, we needed a straight forward formula. Here is what we think will work.
Listed price + 20%= purchase price
Purchase price amortized 20 yrs @ 5% = Rent (month)
Downpayment is 1 % purchase price
Option amount is 4 % of purchase price divided by 24 mo.

We will have $25 K minimum for our profit
We will have $800 a month minimum for rent

These in a couple of years will fund even more properties, and the snowball effect will have began.

At first , with our Rent to Own we have now, I wanted the tenant to fail. She did, and we gave her a second chance.It was only four months into it....she had another 20 months to go. Figured we would let the banks decide, and see if she qualifies when it is time for her to purchase the property.

We have had such a positive feedback from these applicants from our Gumtree. They are all so truly excited they may be able to get them into a home. All they need is a bit of help.It makes a person feel great.

We have purchased 2 properties with vendor holding the mortgage 90 % with us providing 10% down.Another vendor held a second mortgage.So we did have help ourselves. (of course it was to the vendor's advantage to sell these properties, that were on the market forever...)

I know these profits don't sound large compared to Australia's properties, but for this part of Nova Scotia, it is very acceptable.
Should the tenant fail, we also get to keep the 5% downpayment on top of the market rent we enjoyed for those 24 months. No repairs or maintenace while the tenant is there.
Unless they trash the property, there is no downfall. Any regular tenant can do that, but these tenants would want to take care of a home they think will be theirs.

Interesting concept, Kathryn. There are so many questions spring to mind but I'll keep my eye on the thread and I'm sure they will be answered.

I haven't followed the market north of the border but I haven't heard you had the property boom there that we in the rest of the world did, so I take it that you don't see the chance of a bust. It's hard to imagine the prices you mention falling further.

What you are doing sounds remarkably like writing covered calls on shares but with an extra zero and longer time frames. Could writing calls on shares be easier?

Sunfish,
Not sure what writing calls on shares means.
I guess everyone invests in areas they feel confident in.

I try to explain and encourage my co worker to try a Rent to Own.She looks at me and says honestly, "I have no idea what you are talking about half of the time, with this financial stuff". I try to tell her you can't save your way to wealth.
To me it seems simple, straight forward and very exciting.

With the house and 4 mobile package, it replaces the income from my "regular 8-4 job".After we purchase it, I will tell her that.

Our prices have fallen about 10-15 % probably. Average price for an average house would be $125 k range now.
Much harder to obtain financing here . It's been 6 weeks, and still don't have my original mortgage approved.MB says any day, and doesn't expect any problems.

Trying to understand the structure I think this what we would call a wrap in Australia.

You purchase a dwelling and rent it to a tenant on a higher than market rent (which is CF+ to you being more than your cost of funds) on the basis that they cannot get finance due to their credit rating.

So long as they make repayments for a stated period, the property is sold to them and they get finance based on their rent / repayment history. Do I understand correctly?

how to find a tenant with rent to own

HI guys
can someone give me a tip how /where to find tenants with rent to own options
Thanks
MJ

We find almost all of our tenants on Kijiji, which is similar to your Gumtree.

We just put an ad that stated we are willing to do Rent to Own. I then send them our details of how we do them.

Sorry Kath I'm very confused now. I take it you are not doing a wrap but something different. I don't understand the difference between a wrap and rent to own can you please explain a bit more.

Not sure either Boomtown.A wrap mst be very similar?

We buy a property. We rent it to a tenant at fair market value (in Canada it is required to be CF+)
We promise to sell this property to them in 2 yrs at an agreed price.They also pay an monthly Option payment This Option and Downpayment will be shown to their lender in 2 yrs that they have made a downpayment to us on this property.Should the tenant decide not to buy the property after 2 yrs, we keep the initial downpayment and all Option monies, and it is considered rent.

Example:
$134,500 we buy a property

$1060 rent per month
$161,400 we agree as the selling price to tenant
$1614 Downpayment
$270 Option monthly

In 2 years time tenant goes to a Lender and borrows
$153,306
(270X24=6480 + 1614=8094 downpayments)

If, for whatever reason they cannot obtain financing everything they paid to us is considered rent.They may hate the neighbourhood,find owning a home too expensive etc. They are not required to buy. We are just not permitted to sell to anyone else. Of course the tenant hopes the value of the property will increase substantially.

Our lawyer provides us with a 3 part contract.
Residential Lease, Option to Buy, Purchase Agreement.

Hey, this is a money spinner!

Not only do you get (what seems to me, anyway), good, healthy rental returns, you get a bit of growth, (for short term, is good, not sure if market falls?). You still are all in your contract prices for property, whatever happens to housing prices after 2 years. Plus those other little tidbits, downpayment + option. A relative small outlay, (your 10%), all repairs etc and upon onus of tenant!!

Say if you had someone that did trash, are you able to insure anyway? eg landlord insurance? So, bit of $$ protection there?

And! if that person decides they might want to shift to the Carribean after all that, walk away from the deal, it's "beauty!!"

This is great, good on you guys.

Kathryn is there much in the way of costs for you in acquiring the property initially? eg stamp duty, transfer fee? setting the buy up/contracts etc? and also in selling, do you get hit with any sale (much) sale costs?

This sounds great, I like it. Would be kind to cashflow, and just be ongoing, okie dokie, did that one, let's get another couple?

Canada is a huge place, but I found out the majority of population live in the bottom bit, almost near the border to USA? Due to the tough climate conditions...so that's a lot of people crammed into areas, needing housing, sort of different circumstances to here, it is really interesting.

This is just like an option on stock: The purchaser has the right, but not the obligation, to buy an asset at an agreed price at an agreed date in the future.

Again, like a (covered call) stock option, if the price of the underlying asset drops the holder loses value, but that is softened by the premium received when selling the option.

Is this common in Canada Kathryn? Does anyone see legal (or other) problems here or is it just something we haven't thought of?

Edit: A search found this.... an Oz site.
http://www.ownyourhome.com.au/Resources/post/The-Basics-of-a-Rent-to-Own-Contract.aspx

Last edited:
Don't know about people around your neck of the woods Sunfish but in Adelaide, our local paper always has several adds from people offering these types of deals. They don't include much detail in their adds I guess you find out if you're serious enough to call. I don't know if they see it as a way to ensure a healthy sale price in two years time when there is an expectation that the market won't rise or...?
I have no clue if it's similar to a wrap as I have not researched how a wrap works. Right or wrong I've always been under the impression that in S.A they are't legal.

hi boomtown
it is a wrap
its just a different name.
and yes they are not anything unusual.
I have been looking at this market for a little while and the idea comes in lots of forms
here wraps are not seen in a good light if done wrong.
but the idea is the same.
the problem is that you have to find the correct tennant and maintain the rental to service the loan.
tehre are alot of wrappers on this forum
and I did post for a cheap wrapper manual as I am looking at it not from a wrappers point of view but as a funder for that wrapper market.
so it very interesting
but in essence the principle is the same

Technically, its not a wrap but has a lot of similarities. There are differences but the goal of both is to assist people who are genuine about becoming home owners and at the same time make your investment positive cashflow.

Its been great for us to convert two negatively geared properties in this current economic climate.:)

A google search should pop up renttoownhome.com.au which seems to be the best site if you are looking for a property you can buy this way. There you can also get contacts of people doing this in your area.
The numbers are a bit bigger than those in Canada by all accounts.
cheers
Dianne

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer Di, but I'm confused as I thought the consensus was that rent to own and wraps were the same thing.
Can anyone explain the difference - or where I can find details of how to do this as the owner of a property wanting to rent to a "tenant" for that person to then own the property at a point in the future?
Thanks.

Hi Glucose,
IMHO the expert in this field is Rick Otton.You can buy his rent to own or wrap packs at rickotton.com
sometimes you can find the odd copy on ebay

I do this as a business as do others so what you're asking is like asking an accountant to tell you all the rules and regulations they implement when filling in your tax return.
I am quite happy for you to give me a call and we can nut out a scenario.

cheers
Dianne

Last edited by a moderator:
OO,
I don't even expect to outlay the 10%. I need to re finance a mortgage, so taking all the equity I can. This is for my downpayments.

If a tenant trashes the place, we would take them to Residential Tenancy Board, just like any other tenant.
As far as I know, we don't have Landlord Insurance, such as Australia does.
We would make sure the tenants have jobs, and go after them for payment.

Costs for buying property are fairly inexpensive. We pay 1.5 % of purchase for transfer tax.All together I count about 4-5 k for closing costs.We then have property taxes every year to pay.($1400 would be for an average 100k house)
Selling the proerty would just involve paying the lawyer fees. Wouldn't be much.

Nova Scotia has about 909,000 people.We are about 3/4 the size of Tasmania.
We really don't have any city here.Our biggest city, is Geelong in size.Mostly rural and small towns.

We have lots of low income people, like us, who just want a place of their own.Financially, we can help some of these people realize their dreams, while still making a profit. Everyone is happy.
If they can't buy the property at the end of it, they didn't work hard enough fixing their credit problems, but they did get to live in a nice house.

This seems like an easy way to replace my income, without all the hassles from tenants.
If possible we would like to do this when we move to Aus in a couple of years.If not, we will live off our profits from Canada.

Who pays rates and water charges, maintenance costs and so on?

The tenant pays for all utilities. We pay the property taxes and maintain property insurance. They are required to have Tenant Insurance. This is for their liability and personal belongings.

Back