Executive dodges $76,000 in train fares and pays it back after getting caught

:eek: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/executive-dodges-76000-in-train-fares-and-pays-it-back-after-getting-caught/story-fni0cp8i-1226884165574 - Indeerdeep Bains - Daily Mail - April 14, 2014

A CITY executive dodged almost 43,000 ($76,000) in train fares for his daily commute to London ? and paid it all back in just three days after being caught.

Over five years, the fund manager avoided buying a 21.50 ticket each day when travelling from his home in the sought-after village of Stonegate, East Sussex.

The unnamed commuter ' believed to be the biggest fare dodger in history ' exploited a loophole that let him pay only a third of the cost of his 1 hour 22 minute journey.

...Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, said in a report: 'It is not only extraordinary that the biggest fare dodger in railway history got away with it for so long, but has also now escaped criminal prosecution as well.':p

Last edited:
Amazing he had the money to pay it back, it was just there in his piggy bank.

I think I am a tram dodger, but only in Melbourne, my last visit catching trams, I could not work out the system at the end I just gave up and jumped on... Do they do spot checks for tickets in Melb, how does this work.:confused:

How did they work out he had been doing it for years? Why didn't he just get fined for the instance he was caught?

Over five years, the fund manager avoided buying a ?21.50 ticket each day when travelling from his home in the sought-after village of Stonegate, East Sussex.

The unnamed commuter ? believed to be the biggest fare dodger in history ? exploited a loophole that let him pay only a third of the cost of his 1 hour 22 minute journey. He caught the commuter train from Stonegate ? a rural station with no barriers ? without purchasing a ticket.

Once in London he was able to pass through the barriers at Cannon Street by simply ?tapping out? with an Oyster travelcard, paying just ?7.20.

Assuming the ticket inspector checked his ticket with a handheld reader while on the train and he was heading towards stonegate, would his ticket not have been valid as he would have tapped on at London.

On the other hand, if he didn't tap on at London, he could have just said he has no ticket and paid the fine...

Almost sounds like he poured his heart out to the inspector and revealed everything no for reason!

Back