Exit/Vacate/Pre-Rental Cleaning

Hello all, I'm renting out my first investment property, and my property manager did not mention anything about hiring a professional vacate cleaning service, but I'm wondering if it is common for landlords to do a pre-rental cleaning?

Any good ones servicing Melbourne area? What would be the acceptable cost for 3Br house?

First open inspection is scheduled very soon, so I'd like to make sure it is well presented.

As a landlord you probably want to set a precedent for the occupants to follow suit. PMs usually have cleaners on their books and yours can probably recommend someone.

Ask your PM for a good cleaner. If not, Keen to Clean are pretty good and reasonably priced, they will go just about anywhere :).

Only time I recommend this is if the home was not cleaned when you vacated.

How long has it been vacant? Was it occupied previously? What condition is it in? ie does it need it because it was left as a mess when you settled, is the stove/bathroom clean or has it been vacant and is dusty?

How long has it been vacant? Was it occupied previously? What condition is it in? ie does it need it because it was left as a mess when you settled, is the stove/bathroom clean or has it been vacant and is dusty?

Not long, previous owner used to live there.

1. Couple of nails (to hang pictures) on the wall, which also left some rust marks around.
2. Dusty cabinet
3. Debrises at the backyard

In short, it's not terrible, but may not be spotless. A vacate cleaning only cost $300-ish, no?

Depends if they need to clean carpets as well? $300 not enough

"They" are not ex-tenants but ex-owners by the sounds of the post (unless I'm mistaken). I'm guessing this is how they left the house when they sold it to chunho01 who is now getting it ready to rent?

Which means this cost will be born by chunho01 as a new landlord wanting to present the house well.

Unless I'm mistaken in how I read the post, I would say that if this was my IP, I would be cleaning it myself and saving myself the $300.

Bit of dust and picking up some rubbish from the yard. Easy.

"They" are not ex-tenants but ex-owners by the sounds of the post (unless I'm mistaken). I'm guessing this is how they left the house when they sold it to chunho01 who is now getting it ready to rent?

Which means this cost will be born by chunho01 as a new landlord wanting to present the house well.

Unless I'm mistaken in how I read the post, I would say that if this was my IP, I would be cleaning it myself and saving myself the $300.

Bit of dust and picking up some rubbish from the yard. Easy.

You interpreted it right. :)

I personally think a pre-clean is good. The cleaner the house for inspections the better tenants you are likely to attract. There are too many dirty rental properties that clean ones can really help attract good tenants.

Spotless is the key.

Start the cycle now, so when the next tenants move out, you make sure they leave it spotless for the following tenants.

To the OP:
I agree with others who have said leaving it spotless sets a good precedent.
I have cleaned my own IPs myself in the past. Based on my own experience, I would not clean things that require heavy chemicals again. I'd rather pay to get it done.
Things like steaming the carpet, cleaning the oven, bleaching the bathroom.
Wiping, scrubbing and mopping (I use natural vegetable soap, not chemicals) and gardening is OK, albeit exhausting.

Back