Extension on settlement

Hi all, newby here. My house is due to settle tomorrow, but my buyer is being a bit picky saying my workshop is still not clean enough and there is some junk laying around in there. Now I work away and not due home until the 19th. Can I ask my settlement agent to extend settlement date until I get home?

Dale
WA

Tomorrow????
How about hiring a cleaner asap?
You can ask. They can say no.
Depends if the cleanliness is reasonable grounds - i am guessing it's not reasonable grounds for refusal of settlement by the buyer.
If it's only a little bit dirty, perhaps settle and offer to pay for cleaning?
If it's very dirty, buyer may be entitled to charge for cleaning?
I don't have a legal background. This is my common sense interpretation of the situation.

Hi all, newby here. My house is due to settle tomorrow, but my buyer is being a bit picky saying my workshop is still not clean enough and there is some junk laying around in there. Now I work away and not due home until the 19th. Can I ask my settlement agent to extend settlement date until I get home?

Dale
WA

2 things you can do

1. In WA you have 3 days to delay settlement without penalty. Find someone within that time who can clean up the junk and give it a quick once over

2. Offer to Settle 'as is' and give them $200 back at Settlement for them to clean it up

I'd probably vote for #2.

Agreed. What does "not tidy" enough mean?

There's one thing to have some dust and then another thing to have actual large items that are a hard to move and dispose of.

When i settled, i withheld $1,000 from the vendor because he left a garage full of his junk (im not talking a shelf and couple bags etc, im talking a single garage completely full of his junk that couldn't walk in without tripping).

If its just a dusty and has a few thats can be picked up, tell him to go away and that you will rescind for him being an idiot (that's assuming the market is hot where you are and you'll find another buyer quickly for even more money!)

Thanks for the response guys, the workshop is huge, 40 feet by 30 feet, and the floors are all clear, but there's a couple of items I left behind because I couldn't take them with me, like beer fridge, drop saw and a few other bits and pieces that would give his man cave a head start.

I kind of see their point. I'd love a beer fridge and drop saw in my man cave, but some people prefer to make it into a hairdressing studio. They don't understand that a drop saw is a perfectly valid tool for trimming a fringe.

The fridge aint exactly light.
That said, scrap metal guys would take this for free in a heartbeat!

Maybe give them a call and get them to come around asap?

Oh. fair of the buyer to insist on Vacant possession then.
1. Pay someone to dispose of for you asap
2. Offer to pick them up when you get back. Hire a truck.

Thanks guys, I've used west minsters suggestion, I've just advised my real estate guy I'm delaying settlement for 3 days, that's going to set the cat among the pigeons. :D

Thanks guys, I've used west minsters suggestion, I've just advised my real estate guy I'm delaying settlement for 3 days, that's going to set the cat among the pigeons. :D

That still doesn't achieve anything. Why not just clear our your stuff?

I cleared it up pretty well but at present I'm about 800ks away at work and will be until the 19th. By extending we can get someone there on Saturday to sort some things out.

Back