F111s flying over Brisbane right now

Anybody in Brisbane just hear the F111s fly over. We are in Coorparoo. It went right over our house and circled around to the city. I'm guessing it is something to do with River Festival (or whatever it is called these days) which is this weekend.

Whilst typing this, they flew right over our house again. We could see the bellies of the planes. Boy they are loud!

You should have twittered it then you wouldn't have missed them fly over again while you were posting about it.

You should have twittered it then you wouldn't have missed them fly over again while you were posting about it.

I wouldn't have a clue about twitter. I didn't miss them. We heard them coming back and ran out to our verandah to see them coming over again. We got a bit of warning the second time.

Loud doesn't quite cover the noise they make :D.

Thanks Prop. F18s hey? It made me think about how scary being a civilian in a war torn country would be. So much noise from just two planes.

28 Sep 12
FA-18F
Riverfire practice
Brisbane
12:30 - 1:00pm

29Sep 12
FA-18F
Riverfire
Brisbane
Flypasts:
single ship, approx 3pm
two- ship, approx 5:30pm
two- ship approx 7:59pm, timed to precede fireworks commencement

Loud doesn't quite cover the noise they make :D.

When I was 21 I was at sea on a large trawler just west of Wessel Islands NT it was beauitful calm day. We were heading for Darwin to unload a full freezer. The auto pilot had failed so we had to hand steer which was mind deadening task.
The trick was not to continually watch the compass and adjust the helm with small flick every now and again, but also it was also a bit of a game being on watch with the straightest wake.
I was on watch and had checked the radar and then the wake went down to the galley and made a coffee. The rest of the crew were asleep as we had been working the vessel 24hours. I got back up to the wheelhouse level turned around and checked my wake nice and straight.
Put my coffee on the helm and backed up to the Skippers seat and sat down grabbed my coffee, and the noise that come from behind was absolutely terrifying, the boat had both booms out that are roughly 5 – 6 metres from the surface, on both sides two F18’s (I’m told) flew under them. The fighters had their own wake in the water they were that low.
They flew directly past us and both spiralled around ahead and headed straight back under the booms I could see the pilot on the starboard side give me the thumbs up you can imagine my reply , by then I was out at the bow rail. You could almost reach out and touch them
The look on the crews faces as they did not see a thing only heard them.
It was certainly an impressive sight, but I have often wondered how it would be on the wrong side of one.

Mayb it's the start of the Chinese invasion ?
Had a few fighter jets fly underneath me once when I was hang gliding in California, spooky, hope they saw me (was at 15000 ft).

*sigh* I really miss the F111's dump and burn at riverfire. It just isn't worth going now without it. We went to the last one that had the F111's and my daughter made a youtube video of the night. I just love it! I love the roar as they fly over and the way the sky really lights up from the flames. Over the years I have watched it from Mt Cootha, in hotels and on the riverfront. Riverfront in the gardens is the best.

I saw three helicopters near the army barracks, not quite as fast :)

Driving past RAAF Gurbutt some years ago and saw the Eurocopter [it was out here strutting it stuff] do a full loop. Now that's a bit rare.

Later that day out at Lavarack Brks they "dropped" it. The company pilot and the Aussie both said "Your aircraft" at the same time we were told. They both walked away OK.

I was in the dentist's chair when they went over, and although we didn't see them we certainly heard them. Luckily the dentist wasn't using a drill or needle at the time!

Lotta fun Wylie.

I was lucky to see the shuttle in LA, last week:

2i23h8x.jpg

Earplugs + earmuffs = no hearing loss!
And yes, these are required to meet OH&S regulations for such noisy environments.
Maybe today but I never saw muffs when I was there.

When the old Canberras were being parked the driver followed the guy with the bat's signals and applied the brakes when signaled, but did NOT power down. Two guys on each wing would then approach outboard of the engines, duck under them and chock the wheels. Only then would the a/c be powered down.

When I said "duck under" I meant it. There was only a thin sheet of metal between our ears and the turbines, six inches away. But I think my hearing loss is mainly attributable to mucking about off the 3m diving board as a kid. I'll be honest.

Back