Facebook - little help??

Hi all,

So I've put up a Facebook page for my business. I've never used FB before, can anyone tell me how it works in regards to the following...

Lots of businesses have FB pages which I've seen. They post on their wall and you can see what they write, specials they offer etc. All good - I get that part and have already put a few posts on the wall and have a 'like' button on my businesses website to direct people to the FB page.

Can someone tell me how it works though for people who 'like' me? ie. I've just put another post on my wall this morning and it hasn't shown up on the walls of people who 'like' me. How are people who 'like' my page and are interested in finding out specials when they happen supposed to know when I've posted something?

Surely it can't just be they have to physically check my wall every so often in case something new has been posted???

Sorry if this is a basic question, but as I said - never used it before! :eek:

The Like button I believe lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook. For example, when the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user's friends' News Feed with a link back to your website.

The Like button I believe lets a user share your content with friends on Facebook. For example, when the user clicks the Like button on your site, a story appears in the user's friends' News Feed with a link back to your website.

You can like a post ohn Facebook - like you can give a post Kudos here

Right. So what happens after someone has 'liked' my post either via the website or from a post on my FB page?

ie. will they ever see anything from me again without actually manually clicking through to my wall of their own accord?

eg. I have 2 million people who 'like' me and I post a special saying 'for the next 10mins $68 for a brand new Mercedes' - unless someone happens to be glancing at my wall at the time, those 2 million people won't be aware of my special will they? ie. they receive no notification that a new post has been made on my wall?

Can someone tell me how it works though for people who 'like' me? ie. I've just put another post on my wall this morning and it hasn't shown up on the walls of people who 'like' me. How are people who 'like' my page and are interested in finding out specials when they happen supposed to know when I've posted something?

If someone 'likes' your facebook page, then any new content that you add from time to time should show up on their newsfeed; but, not their wall. Things only show up on a person's public wall when they choose to add things (or when they have a virus). The newsfeed is the list of activity that someone sees when they first log into facebook.

If it's not showing up on their newsfeed, though, it could be one of a few things;

• their settings are for most popular posts, not most recent posts;
  • your settings are too tight and don't allow for other users to see / interact with your content (click 'edit page' and then 'settings' and 'permissions' to check that one out); or,
  • they've hidden your posts (I've done that to a few pages, like Everton FC, just because they just spam updates too often during matches).

What JamesGG said. Essentially your posts and such will show up on their news feed - something you cannot see.

If you want to see how this works, why don't you set up a dummy account and like your business, then you can understand how people will interact and receive information from your business facebook page.

Thanks for that James.

Have checked my setting and I have no restrictions so that's all good.

I can't really help how people set their own preferences, but good to know. :)

No one has blocked me yet as it's only my staff and a mate so far till I sort it out more. ;)

You've made me feel a bit better though with that newsfeed info. So I don't have any friends on it yet, so I wouldn't have a news feed. Will get on of my girls to login to hers now and check her news feed, but she's not totally up with it either - where is the newsfeed on a persons FB ie. a splash screen when they loggin, or on the left right hand side etc?

Thanks for that James.

Have checked my setting and I have no restrictions so that's all good.

I can't really help how people set their own preferences, but good to know. :)

No one has blocked me yet as it's only my staff and a mate so far till I sort it out more. ;)

You've made me feel a bit better though with that newsfeed info. So I don't have any friends on it yet, so I wouldn't have a news feed. Will get on of my girls to login to hers now and check her news feed, but she's not totally up with it either - where is the newsfeed on a persons FB ie. a splash screen when they loggin, or on the left right hand side etc?

Steve,

Are you on facebook yourself ?

You will then see exactly what eveyrone else who likes you will see, including the newsfeed

Yeah I am, the business page is through me an an administrator as FB don't let a business sign up by itself unless you're willing to pump cash into ads etc. (as far as I'm aware).

I understand what James means about the 'Top News' vs 'Most Recent' finally! That's pretty much what I was after and why people weren't seeing my update - I think default and most people have it set to 'most popular' news.

Doesn't help the problem as I have no friends and not many likes, but at least I've identified what the issue is.

what i want to know is how to un-"like" a company or group that i liked in the past, but am sick of getting millions of posts, that are of no use to me, on my page from them.

Lizzie -run your mouse over top right hand corner. an X will appear - click on it. it will give you option to unlike, delete this message, etc.

thanks invstr - was thinking it was be like de-friending, where went into the "like" section and de-liked them but couldn't find out how to work it ... but apparently not :rolleyes:

i am soooooo unsavvy

Back