Fairfax media 30 article limit

As many will know there's a limit on the number of articles you can read online in a month with various Fairfax newspapers including The Age, Brisbane Times, Sydney Morning Herald, WA Today & Canberra Times.

Once you read about 25 articles it starts to tell you that you're approaching their limit. At 30 articles per month it stops you, encourages you to subscribe and then redirects you to the home page. It appears that they're tracking this via your computers IP address.

I've discovered a few ways to work around this challenge (call it a social hack).

The easiest way is to simply read a different affiliated newspaper. They all share articles so the same national headlines tend to replicate across all the publications in the group. You do tend to miss out on local news, but the 30 article limit isn't counted across different publications (so far).

The other way is to browse privately. I've only tested it on the Firefox brower but I presume it's available on other browsers. In Firefox, right click on the link and select, "Open in new private window". A new window appears with full access to the article (although commenting might be a challenge).

I've been playing with this for a few days without a problem. If you open more than 30 articles in a single sitting you'll hit the limit again, but simply close all instances of the browser and the counter appears to reset. :)

The easiest way to get around this is to clear your cookies which is a good idea to do anyway on a regular basis.
Firefox > Settings > Privacy >

Also for those users of the free Firefox addon Adblock Plus a custom filter means you never see the article limit overlay.

||fairfax.com.au^

that's
pipe symbol pipe symbol fairfax.com.au caret symbol

If they are going to generate less hits I wonder will they reduce advertising costs, probably not :rolleyes:

I agree, and I do object to paying for SMH when it is so full of ads, seems to be a double dip.

I use Chrome and just block cookies for that site, unfortunately can't do the same with mobile browser and have to clear all cookies. Silly system really, can't see it will make any money the way it is.

I just tried to read an article about the blade runner in SA and was blocked, so I simply googled the headline and was offered the story from heaps of sites.

Use two different browsers also works - I've fit my limit in Firefox so use IE when reading now (until the end of the month anyway).

Regards,

Jason

I just pay the subscription. It's not much. I've read the SMH since I was a kid and be disappointed if it went under. I still buy the hard copy every day, too.

Fair enough, we should pay for the news like any other service if we expect it to continue. I just object to paying AND getting a page full of ads, some popping up in your face with video.

Also, I assume subscribers have to log in now? So they are also getting free tracking info as well.

I already pay for Aunty. I'm happy with the value I get from that. I'm more than happy to avoid Murdoch / Fairfax / etc. The wife insists on getting the Weekend Australian though in physical form - I hate spending money on such tripe when less than 10% of the paper actually has any accuracy. I wonder if they get the date right sometimes... but she does insist, for reasons she can't even articulate! How are you supposed to argue with that? :rolleyes:

The other way is to browse privately. I've only tested it on the Firefox brower but I presume it's available on other browsers. In Firefox, right click on the link and select, "Open in new private window". A new window appears with full access to the article (although commenting might be a challenge).
Chrome has a "New incognito window" option.

Back