Family Holiday - Gold Coast

Currently looking at accommodation, car hire etc for a family holiday on the Gold Coast early OCTOBER this year.

Turns out its been more than year now since the last two week break :(

We are taking a family holiday (wife & 2 girls- 5 yrs and 3 yrs), the girls loved the first trip last year where we stayed at Paradise Resort, however, this year we are looking at something self contained where we can also do our own meals (the 5 year old is currently on a gluten & dairy free eating plan).

Last years trip was only a week in QLD and we caught up with the in-laws who where travelling around Australia again (and love QLD).

Paradise Resort was great and well located for our purposes, thanks to everyone for thier posts last year.

We visited the theme parks and Tamborine Mountain, took the girls to see the glow worms and took a ride on the aqua-duck. Southport RSL amongst others was also great

Kid friendly, activities for the kids and self contained is the goal this year so appreciate any feedback or posts from Forum members

We will fly into Brisbane and pick up a hire car (yet to decide which company) and then look to depart to the Gold coast with a view to visiting the theme parks, shops and local attractions....may even take a trip down to Tweed Heads to say hello to the Mexicans ;)

Have had a look at what's on in OCTOBER, looks like we will miss the V8 crowd, anything else to be aware of over this period?

If anyone has any tips, places to visit etc please feel free to post below; appreciate any personal recommendations

Hi Redwing,

If you don't mind the travel then Byron Bay and surrounds have plenty to offer. Byron is probably 1hr south of GC. Mt Warning is nice but would be tough on the young girls. When you say glow worms I take it you meant Natural Bridge/Arch? Brunswick Heads is nice and laid back. Invstor stayed there a while back. Tea Tree Plantation near Ballina has an interesting Sculpture walk through a rainforest. Minyon Falls are worth a look - again with bushwalks if you fancy.

Hi Redwing,

If you don't mind the travel then Byron Bay and surrounds have plenty to offer. Byron is probably 1hr south of GC. Mt Warning is nice but would be tough on the young girls. When you say glow worms I take it you meant Natural Bridge/Arch? Brunswick Heads is nice and laid back. Invstor stayed there a while back. Tea Tree Plantation near Ballina has an interesting Sculpture walk through a rainforest. Minyon Falls are worth a look - again with bushwalks if you fancy.

Thanks Rockstar

Never been to Byron Bay, though used to work with a guy from Mullinbimby who raved about the area

The glow-worm cave we took the kids to was this one at Cedar Creek

Will check out the places mentioned on the net

If your kids are younger - say, 14 and under, I reckon you can't go past Treasure Island. It's a resort on extensive landscaped grounds including camping sites, caravan sites, and cabins of a variety of sizes. We had an extended family holiday (3 generations) there a few months ago, and truly, it was fabulous. It's not cheap, but you have everything you could want on site, and you can let the kids run free, confident that they're safe within the resort.

The activities which don't cost any extra - the huge bouncing mat, the swimming pool and spa, and riding bikes around the resort - were a huge hit with our kids. They also have a mini-golf on site, and I can't remember what it cost but it was very reasonable; I remember thinking you wouldn't mind paying to play every day. You can hire pedal karts, but that was a bit more expensive ($10 per hour), and there's also a video games arcade. Oh, and they have kids craft and other activities each day in a "kids club", though our kids didn't partake. The on-site restaurant/cafe is excellent value. The staff in every department were outstanding. We'll definitely be going back.

Oh, and you can walk across the road to Harbourtown, if you enjoy a spot of shopping. ;)

Thanks Rockstar

Never been to Byron Bay, though used to work with a guy from Mullinbimby who raved about the area

The glow-worm cave we took the kids to was this one at Cedar Creek

The area is very beautiful indeed - I live about 10 min from Mullum. The drive from Nerang to Murwillumbah is spectacular and you can visit Natural Arch on this drive - which is not Cedar Creek. This is an easy walk for the younguns.

We have been to the Gold Coast on a regular basis as we often have skating events there. I always get accommodation through Realestate.com. http://www.realholidays.com.au/ There is an extensive holiday letting section up there and I will usually rent a 2 bedroom furnished unit for whatever time I need, whether it be only a week or longer. They have stuff for every budget and I have never been disappointed. You have to bring your own linen, or you can hire it while there.

Hi Redwing,

Brunswick Heads is a really nice laid back spot. There are cabins with river views and you can hire a tinny and go fishing in the river. If you come across any tarzan swings hanging off trees on the side of the river bank I'd advise staying off them. That's how I broke my leg!! Ouch! :D

This is where we stayed
http://www.masseygreene.com.au/

If your kids are younger - say, 14 and under, I reckon you can't go past Treasure Island. It's a resort on extensive landscaped grounds including camping sites, caravan sites, and cabins of a variety of sizes. We had an extended family holiday (3 generations) there a few months ago, and truly, it was fabulous. It's not cheap, but you have everything you could want on site, and you can let the kids run free, confident that they're safe within the resort.

The activities which don't cost any extra - the huge bouncing mat, the swimming pool and spa, and riding bikes around the resort - were a huge hit with our kids. They also have a mini-golf on site, and I can't remember what it cost but it was very reasonable; I remember thinking you wouldn't mind paying to play every day. You can hire pedal karts, but that was a bit more expensive ($10 per hour), and there's also a video games arcade. Oh, and they have kids craft and other activities each day in a "kids club", though our kids didn't partake. The on-site restaurant/cafe is excellent value. The staff in every department were outstanding. We'll definitely be going back.

Oh, and you can walk across the road to Harbourtown, if you enjoy a spot of shopping. ;)

Thanks also Ozperp, appreciate the feedback checking out Treasure Island now. Definitely looking for things the kids can do on the grounds, as well as having the self contained facilities

The area is very beautiful indeed - I live about 10 min from Mullum. The drive from Nerang to Murwillumbah is spectacular and you can visit Natural Arch on this drive - which is not Cedar Creek. This is an easy walk for the younguns.

Thanks again rockstar

Thats some serious gear the guy in the photo has for an easy walk, looks like a harness and climbing rope :eek:

We have been to the Gold Coast on a regular basis as we often have skating events there. I always get accommodation through Realestate.com. http://www.realholidays.com.au/ There is an extensive holiday letting section up there and I will usually rent a 2 bedroom furnished unit for whatever time I need, whether it be only a week or longer. They have stuff for every budget and I have never been disappointed. You have to bring your own linen, or you can hire it while there.

Thanks Skater, thought I would check this out for a price comparison angle; Did a search on the gold coast (by map) and tried self contained cottage (0 results) so have tried searching on "all types"

The bonus of one of the other areas is that there are activities and facilities to occupy the kids (and big kids :D) whilst mundane things like the washings being done ;)

Plus I'm usually up early as are the kids, so I can take the kids out to play whilst the wife gets ready

Brunswick Heads is a really nice laid back spot. There are cabins with river views and you can hire a tinny and go fishing in the river. If you come across any tarzan swings hanging off trees on the side of the river bank I'd advise staying off them. That's how I broke my leg!! Ouch! :D

This is where we stayed
http://www.masseygreene.com.au/

Ouch indeed, had to race a guy to hospital when younger as he dropped of a tarzan swing and landed on a branch sticking up in the river bed..straight into his foot

looking at the link now, thanks Invstor

Unashamed plug!

Try www.surferswaterways.com.au.

Great quality built 23 storey building beautifully maintained, reasonably priced, in central surfers on the main river (with private pontoon). All are very large 2 or 3 bedroom/2 bathroom units. Chevron renaissance shopping ctr (wth coles) across the street. No kids clubs etc though. And 70% owner occupied.

This is a great place because i own one in there, and availble to holiday let:D:D:D:D:D.

PM me if you want contact details for my unit (2 Bedroom, 2 bathroom, AC, 15th floor, NE aspect-morning sun).

Last edited:
My choice would be the Chevron Renaissance.
If you look it up on stayz.com.au , you should be able to find some good deals there. We loved it , its very central to everything and has a great lagoon on the 5th floor!

I love the area around the Chevron and Circle. The Chevron is particularly good for families; just be aware of all the construction going on there at the moment.

Also, the foreshore is being refurbished, which means a longer walk to the beach as sections are closed off.

RK

I love the area around the Chevron and Circle. The Chevron is particularly good for families; just be aware of all the construction going on there at the moment.

Also, the foreshore is being refurbished, which means a longer walk to the beach as sections are closed off.

RK

looks great!

Not for the family holiday though, the wife is not keen on high rise with the little un's

May be great for a business trip I have planned over that way to attend a conference

we just booked the Wotif 1br mystery apartment for $80 per night in the sept school holidays. It's the Australia Sovereign Resort. Low rise, free car park...it's cheap and close to everything. I think it's really close to Paradise Resort.

It's supposedly quite spacious with some apts having a sofa bed in the lounge room. I am bringing a blow up air mattress for the kids just in case.

It's also fri and sat night so a real bargain.

In Gold Coast....google Natural Bridge. It's a short hike, easy to do for kids and the arch is beautiful. Great for photography. Also, have you been to O'Reily's? google it. Tree top walk. The kids will love it and it's free.

Did you go to the Carrara Markets? It's huge and open daily. Love it...just browsing and they have pony rides.

Go for some chocolate indulgence at Max Brenner in Marina Mirage (not sure if you have Max Brenner in WA).

I also love the Top One Yum Cha at Australia Fair Shopping Centre. You can see it from the road. It's really good, even better than the Yum Chas in Brisbane. then head over across the road to the playground by stunning Broadwater in Southport. There's a flying fox.

Just be careful of the property spruikers. I attended a free exclusive investment property update after some joker knocked on my apartment door... I said yes as it involved a free breakfast.. These guys were slick and were selling 2br properties at prices I thought were a bit high... When it came to our one on one with an investment property experts he said my wages and equity would easily afford me this exclusive property he was talking about and when the girlfriend finishes uni we could buy another one... My girlfriend who is a bit reserved and bored said to this dude " how many properties do you own" he worked his way around the question and offered us an exclusive property inspection....
. You would really be a fool to sign up with these experts

Back