Favourite Aussie batter

Was reading the top order thread and it gave me a flashback to various points in time of Aussie batters.

We have had loads of fantastic batters.

Who is your favourite?

Mine is hard to narrow down, because I've been watching cricket since about 1970, and there are a lot of great cricketers since that era.

I got given a book about the Aus Ashes tour of England for Xmas (I think Bill Lawry was the captain), and Keith Stackpole was one of the better batsmen in the team. Ian Redpath was pretty handy too. And Doug Walters.

I think my favourite is Adam Gilchrist. Good to watch, and a pretty good bloke.

But, you can't ignore Alan Border, Greg Chappell, Ricki Ponting amongst others.

Last edited:
Yeah, Gilchrist. Whenever he came out to bat the opposition had a noticeable flinch and worried look that spoke volumes.

Ponting could really crack the ball with an amazing sound that echoed to eternity it seemed.

Mark Waugh was elegant and pretty to watch.

Steve Waugh and AB scored the hard yard runs when needed. (What we lack right now).

Pup Clarke is in the making and looks to be improving since taking on Captaincy.
This series will be a defining moment for him.

My favourite to watch - Mark Waugh. Would rather have Steve in my team though.

Greg Chappell was right up there too though. Very stylish.

Hussey seemed to always rescue us when everyone else failed
Bevan, Gilchrist, Waugh spring to mind

In conclusion, we're but a shadow of yesteryears team

My favourite isn't Australian but I wished he was because i loved to hate Ian Botham and the way he could take the bowlers by the scruff of the neck and change a game.

Best, Viv Richards, I doubt I would like him, such an arrogance about him but he just oozed confidence and sooo..... stylish:)

Best recent Ozzie, Adam Gilchrist, the fact that he kept wickets for a day or 2 and still had the energy to massacre an attack :D Makes some of our current batters look like powder puffs :eek:

I also think that Haddin is doing the same thing, the so called batsmen stand around and field a ball every now and then while Haddin works hard behind the stumps, then he has to rescue the side with the bat:(

Best, Viv Richards, I doubt I would like him, such an arrogance about him but he just oozed confidence and sooo..... stylish:)

Best recent Ozzie, Adam Gilchrist, the fact that he kept wickets for a day or 2 and still had the energy to massacre an attack :D Makes some of our current batters look like powder puffs :eek:

I also think that Haddin is doing the same thing, the so called batsmen stand around and field a ball every now and then while Haddin works hard behind the stumps, then he has to rescue the side with the bat:(
I grew up with the Viv Richards, Alvin Kalichuran, Clive Lloyd, Barry Richards, etc...

Viv was unbelievable, and could turn a match in a session. Came across as a bit arrogant, but was a thorough gentleman of the game.

Another favourite of mine - but much maligned - was Richard Hadlee. Also another gentleman.

Damper would be my favourite Aussie batter. But I do like buttermilk pancake batter too.
Our usual Sunday morning brunch...yum.

3 pancakes, berries/strawberries simmered to a pulpy sauce and poured over slices of bananas on top.

Topped with a generous helping of cream (occasionally ice-cream), lashings of maple syrup (the real stuff) and garnished with that really fine sugar powder.

Sometimes I add bacon on the side. ;)

Beat that for a cholestoral bomb....

Back