Feb 13th...Sorry Day

Ok but why would any government implement such a policy if it was not in the best interest of the children? What did they have to gain?

It's common knowledge that child abuse exists even today and aboriginal leaders generally turn a blind eye to it.

Think about this one for a moment because it is us who also turn a blind eye to it and we let it continue.

The government saw the aboriginies as a dying race so set up the reserves to take care of them as Wards of the State (with the corresponding lack of rights) and then as a matter of policy systematically removed children, especially those of mixed race.

The issues were discussed quite openly.

For example.

Royal Commission 1913

A Royal Commission was established in 1913 `to inquire into and report upon the control, organisation and management of institutions ... set aside for the benefit of Aborigines'.

There was discussion about the appropriate age at which children of mixed descent should be taken from their families.

The more of those half-caste children you can take away from their parents and place under the care of the State the better ... When they are a couple of years of age they do not require so much attention and they are young enough to be attractive. I am quite aware that you are depriving the mothers of their children, and the mothers are very fond of their children; but I think it must be the rising generation who have to be considered. They are the people who are going to live on (quoted by Mattingley and Hampton 1992 on page 160).

Last edited:
I have been saying all along : sorry now, pay later. All these aborigine b.s, it's all about money, stupid !!!!! One day after the sorry saga, there already a man suing for compensation. Gee, can't they wait until the body get cold first. We hardworking aussies are so gullable that not only some less than honorable people in this country take advantage of, in fact even people overseas (eg. SOME "refugees"). Two hundred years ago it was a very different world where human rights and democracy did not exist. If we were to turn back the clock, I guess U.S. will have to give back California to the Mexican, British and many other nations pay compensation to the Chinese, etc etc.

Last edited:
I'm totally gobsmacked that some people will rely on their "personal experience and their stereotyped beliefs " when it comes to this very important issue, yet you will read every report and ask intelligent questions of experts in the field when it comes to property investment!!

For goddness sake, educate yourselves and take advantage of the access to knowledge and expertise you've been offered in this and several other threads.

I just can't comprehend why some of you show an absolute lack of analytical skills while you defend your racist beliefs. Open up your minds and learn.

Just wondering which party was in office when the act was passed in 1923?

"Aborigines (Training of Children) Act 1923 was enacted specifically to allow Indigenous children to be `trained' in a children's institution and sent out to work. Any Indigenous child could be committed to any child welfare institution and once committed could be dealt with as if `neglected' under the State Children's Act 1895, which meant that the child could be apprenticed. The removal of a non-Indigenous child required a court finding of `neglect' or `destitution'. The 1923 Act dispensed with this requirement for Indigenous children. This was justified on the basis that it was less traumatic for Indigenous children."
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/special/rsjproject/rsjlibrary/hreoc/stolen/stolen14.html

ALP or NAT?
Hughes, William MorrisALP27.10.1915 - 09.02.1923

Bruce, Stanley MelbourneNAT109.02.1923 - 22.10.1929

http://www.aec.gov.au/Elections/Australian_Electoral_History/pm.htm

Depending on who was in power at the time of passing the act, might shed some light on who said "sorry" and why!

I just can't comprehend why some of you show an absolute lack of analytical skills while you defend your racist beliefs. Open up your minds and learn.
Here we go again, very quick to label anyone with different view to yours "racist" (because of lack of sensible arguments ?!!!). My mind is wide open, and I am a very learned man, thank you very much. Pouring another billions $$ to the aborigine people is not the solution. They need to integrate to the wider community and move on. If the anglo-saxons were not in this country today, the aborigines still have to move with time and become a modern society. With all these superficial kindness we are keeping them from becoming self sufficient.

Last edited:
What a shame these threads are being allowed to continue. I have not complained nor asked for any posts to be withdrawn but I have asked people before to give it a rest, all a waste of type it seems.

In my opinion Somersoft is rapidly losing what makes it such a unique forum with the continuation of these "debates". The divisions you are creating will stay with you all for a long time. Every time people see certain usernames they will automatically think "Oh it's the racist/Bleeding heart again" .... destructive.

For those bleating about free speech and not being responsible for others reactions, all I can say is grow up. This forum should not be a free for all and you do not have the right to perpetuate stereotypes. Not just about races but also about landlords, ie mean spirited, greedy, selfish etc etc.. Don't forget others are reading this as well.

A history lesson for those too young or not nerdy enough to remember Usenet - forums that were around long before the browser, when you needed at least a half a brain to get online and post a comment.

The standard that was self applied was "don't say anything you wouldn't in an international airport lounge". We seem to have gone a long way from those days and I'm not referring to the technology.

Some members seem intent on pushing fear and loathing and the moderators are standing by afraid to act for fear of being labeled censors :confused: that is your job! Sorry Mods, I know you are hard working, unpaid etc... and appreciate the effort, but allowing these threads to continue is destroying the very things that makes the SS forum what it is.

That's it for me. I'm off Somersoft now, I may come back when this crap has finally run it's course but for the moment it's being added to the list of banned sites in the net nanny where I list all sites containing poison I don't want my kids seeing.

I'll leave you with the lyrics of a favourite band of mine who sum up my feelings perfectly, "They Might be Giants"...

Cheers,
Beef.

This is where the party ends
I can't stand here listening to you
And your racist friend
I know politics bore you
But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you
And your racist friend

It was the loveliest party that I've ever attended
If anything was broken I'm sure it could be mended
My head can't tolerate this bobbing and pretending
Listen to some bullet-head and the madness that he's saying

I'll just sit here wondering how you
Can stand by your racist friend
I know politics bore you
You and your racist friend

Out from the kitchen to the bedroom to the hallway
Your friend apologizes, he could see it my way
He let the contents of the bottle do the thinking
Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding

I can't stand here listening to you
And your racist friend
I know politics bore you
And your racist friend

"This message has been deleted by ani. Reason: rude"

Well, at least you didn't delete the whole thread...yet!

I would like an open explanation Ani, as to why my post, and no others on this thread, was rude.

It takes all types I guess Beefy but judging by your nic, you're a bit irreverent yourself and I'm surprised the mods have allowed it. Odd that you push the limits yourself but want to be protected from others.

I'm totally gobsmacked that some people will rely on their "personal experience and their stereotyped beliefs " when it comes to this very important issue, yet you will read every report and ask intelligent questions of experts in the field when it comes to property investment!!

For goddness sake, educate yourselves and take advantage of the access to knowledge and expertise you've been offered in this and several other threads.

I just plain don't care.

On the other hand, I read about property investment because I'm passionate about it.

I am very disappointed that an issue such as this has created such divisions in the Somersoft community. Personally, I am a strong advocate of saying “Sorry” when ever and where ever it is appropriate and in this instance, I think it is very appropriate.

I very much agree with Goanna…

I am gobsmacked that those of us who have and believe in such abundance should have so little empathy, compassion and generosity of spirit.

I think that we live in a lucky country and have a lot to be thankful for. Life is far too short to dwell on the wrongs of past generations, but that is no reason for not acknowledging them and planning a positive future together.

I genuinely feel sorry for those in this community who seem obsessed with potential compensation claims. To them I say… focus on the big picture and don’t sweat the small stuff.

This forum was created with a view to helping each other, albeit with a focus on fellow property investors. While the discussion in this Coffee Lounge is far more wide ranging, it seems very hypocritical to me to see community members acting in such a them-and-us mode.

It is time to move on. From here on, I would ask you all to act in a far more dignified and respectful manner and as Beef_Hooked puts it…

"... don't say anything you wouldn't in an international airport lounge".

I am also asking the moderators to lock this thread at the end of today and asking all of you to think in a more positive and constructive manner going forward. I am sure it will do wonders for both your personal and financial well-being.

Ian Somers

The only division I'm concerned with is why when we talk of real life events; events that we don't create; but just happen to involve Aborigines, and we simply just comment on, this is deemed racist and gets the chop. It's BS.

When someone starts to infringe on my freedom of speech is when I have a division with them.

Thanks for the lecture Ian.

I sometimes wonder what the Ozzy citizens and Govt of 2065 will be saying about the outrageous decisions that were made way back in 2008.

I hope they don't judge us too harshly.....for we right now, have no idea what standards and morals and all those other opinionated hazy things they'll be using to measure us against.

apparently there are already about 40 compo cases queuing up already in victoria - the very reason why howard didn't say "sorry".

but if we are to apologise about all the wrongdoings of the past, the list would be never ending - there were the children forced from their families during ww2 and bought to australia because it was deemed safer; the migrants from europe put in very substandard itinerant camps during the 1950's; the vietnam vets who were forced overseas to fight (be injured and die) in a war that didn't involve us as a nation and they didn't necessarily agree on.

i don't mind saying sorry, but i don't "get" why the aborigines think they should get special compensation.

Last edited:
apparently there are already about 40 compo cases queuing up already in victoria - the very reason why howard didn't say "sorry".

but if we are to apologise about all the wrongdoings of the past, the list would be never ending - there were the children forced from their children during ww2 and bought to australia because it was deemed safer; the migrants from europe put in very substandard itinerant camps during the 1950's; the vietnam vets who were forced overseas to fight (be injured and die) in a war that didn't involve us as a nation and they didn't necessarily agree on.

i don't mind saying sorry, but i don't "get" why the aborigines think they should get special compensation.

Fully agree with you Lizzie. I lived in Auckland for 6 yrs, and certainly didn't feel that Waitangi Day did much good for NZ in general apart from paying Maoris respect they deserve.

I lived in Auckland for 6 yrs, and certainly didn't feel that Waitangi Day did much good for NZ in general apart from paying Maoris respect they deserve.

i covered that in the "sandpit" thread - being from nz, and still having family there, i believe saying "sorry" to the maoris was a big mistake.

massive compo claims, land rights, you name it if it wasn't nailed down ... to the detriment of the country.

only reason the maoris didn't have to say "sorry" to anyone is that they killed and ate all the original moriori settlers when they invaded the country (yes, maoris were cannibals).

Back