Feedback on Ashfield, Perth

I attended a meeting today regarding the future direction of Ashfield. I was wondering if investors/people have heard of this suburb and opinions of it?

well it's pretty close to town, the river, train line. pick up a second hand home of some bleeding vendor and you could do well over the long run

Industrial along Guildford road.
Mix of state housing and new housing in the middle
Good area river side of Hardy Road

The industrial entrance to the suburb is a little off-putting. Nice walk along the river.

So, what came of the meeting? Any immediate plans? Any zoning changes?

Spot on TB and Ausprop.

Outcome - majority of people want less Homeswest - troublesome homeswest tenants moved on, an entrance to Ashfield - industrial entrance changed, safer community - security patrols, upgraded/new rail facilities and parking, village centre - more shops, cafes, etc around Coulston Road shops, low density housing at river end - higher desity around village end.

There will be more meetings held for residents and stakeholders over coming months. Ashfield is first priority for Maylands-Guildford Network city.

Last edited:
not a bad spot but a bit industrial

The industrial entrance to the suburb is a little off-putting

majority of people want.....industrial entrance changed, more shops, cafes

Sounds like a hell of a good idea.

Waltz into an area that has been productive, providing employment, manufactured products and value added wealth for a myriad of businesses, having been zoned industrial for the last 130 years or so....this is how it goes ;

Step 1.

State Govt pops a bunch of Homeswest houses there in the 50's and 60's cos the poor sods can't / refuse to afford anything else in a decent residential area, and they cannot afford the train fare or get organised to get to work on time.

Step 2.

Some ontrapranure decides it's a great little lark, buying run down hovels, knocking them over and pops up something flash and swish.

Step 3.

Said ontraprenure flogs off horrid new cottage on 300sqm to the highest bidder.

Step 4.

Highest bidder then bands together with other introduced cottage dwellers, demanding equal amenity and rights as enjoyed by the Claremont toffee brigade.....although they only paid 1/6th the price. Just who do they think they are, looking down their nose at us - we demand equal rights they scream.

Step 5.

Council members are infiltrated by nuvo riche cottage brigade. All agree that the industrial zoned property is smelly and looks awful. It must be excised from the "upcoming" area.

Step 6.

Get rid of the factories / warehouses / yards / businesses generating employment and wealth for all and sundry.

Step 7.

Replace with a dazzling array of little cottages and units, and oh so nice quaint cafe strips.

Step 8....the pinnacle of society.

Everyone can "relax" and drink coffee in a most socially acceptable manner whilst discussing the plebs of the world, working somewhere else, just as long as it's not within a bulls roar of their cottage.

A bit of trendy shopping in the afternoon for some YSL or Gucci with the credit card. Transformation complete.

Gentrification I thinks it's called. What a crock.

Hi Dazz - Industrial entrance to Ashfield changed. Possibly create a new main street leading to river, French Street? They certainly won't be getting rid of industrial area, much the opposite. The DPI site has a lot more info.

Quote from DPI:

The Ashfield area therefore represents a prime opportunity for a major employment based and transit oriented activity centre. Potential development concepts for the area include:

significantly higher densities for existing residential areas;
major redevelopment of the existing and vacant industrial areas in proximity to the Ashfield train station for higher order and higher activity industrial uses;
a strong employment focus;
an eco-industrial village;
education precinct type uses (TAFE, second chance college, training facilities); and
an opportunity to closely integrate the centre with the station through design.

there is a big hoohah about Ashfield - i feel it will be a major boom suburb like maylands was 10 years ago.

they can't and WON'T pull the light industry out of ashfield. wouldn't make fiscal sense to the CofB.

really? Ashfield must be a bl00dy small suburb then! - i thought it incorporated east of Tonkin, like Katanning and Moojebing? or is that bit bayswater too....?

ah well - you learn something new every day.

Yes, tiny suburb. Katanning is Bayswater, part of Moojebing St is Ashfield.
Hardy Road runs through Bayswater, Ashfield and Bassendean.

:eek: It gives the kids a thrill!

When my little boy was three I pointed at a plane that was way up high in the sky and said, "See that plane up there, we're going to fly in one of those next week." He looked at me and shook his head and said, "no, that's too little."
Priceless

Back