Fencing

I am about to buy a vacant block of land from a developer, which has already been fenced on two sides, presumably by the people who have bought the other two blocks. Is the developer responsible for paying the owners of the other two blocks half of their fencing costs, since he owned the block at the time the fencing was done? ie I don't want to be sent a bill for half the fencing by the owners of the other two blocks.

Thanks

Hi Poppy

I'm not sure about the ACT but in WA you would be responsible for half the costs only if they had paid for the fence themselves.

If the neighbours built within time frame the developer throws in the cost of the fence.

In my case i bought my block second hand and not from developer and it already had fences on both sides but none at back as it was also a vacant block, so I asked the owner of rear block to pay half, which they did. I have not been asked to pay half of the side fences as the houses were built within the time frame required.

Have a look at this although it is for WA maybe something similiar in ACT.

http://www.dhw.wa.gov.au/policy/policy_dividingfences.cfm

Regards

Regrow

Poppy

If you are about to buy the land, this is a question to ask your conveyancing lawyer.

I had a similar question after I had bought my PPOR- my solicitor provided advice free, despite me asking him for a bill. So it should be a normal part of conveyancing enquiries.

Back