Fhog?

This is Happy's husband...

It seems the govt want ppl to buy first homes with the amount of $$$ the FHOG offers...

However, this is my situation...

My wife has never owned a house but I have in a previous marriage (bought in 2002, sold in 2003). Is there any way we can take advantage of the FHOG legally or creatively? ;) It doesn't seem fair my wife is now disadvantged, could she buy it in her own name and claim the FHOG or maybe we could divorce, she buys, then marry again!!! :D

My wife has never owned a house but I have in a previous marriage (bought in 2002, sold in 2003). Is there any way we can take advantage of the FHOG legally or creatively? ;)
In a word, No.

It doesn't seem fair my wife is now disadvantged,

FHOG are for FIRST home owners. Why should you as happy's husband get 2 bites of the cherry? You wife has by marriage taken on both your surname and your home buying/owing status from before....and whatever other baggage you carried into the relationship. :)

could she buy it in her own name and claim the FHOG
Nope, nah, not going to happen:rolleyes:

or maybe we could divorce, she buys, then marry again!!! :D
She might not want to re-marry again....be careful!:p

Sorry Happy's hubby but I don't think you'll find any joy with this one.

http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/

I assumed SA was similar to Vic and took a peek. Under FAQ it states....

Spouses/Domestic Partners
My spouse/domestic partner has previously owned a home. Am I eligible?

If your spouse/domestic partner owned the home prior to 1/7/2000 you are not eligible. If the home was purchased on or after 1/7/2000, and your spouse/domestic partner did not occupy the home, you may be eligible. Your spouse/domestic partner must be included on your application.

Same with us, I bought my first two houses back before the boom when things were cheap, now I have a first-home-buying partner and houses are expensive and we don't have much of a deposit, we get diddly squat from the government to help out. My PPoR is worth so little that if I sold it I'd barely get a grant's worth of profit out of it.

So we're making our own deposit with dubious property development schemings instead, although we're doing it the hard way. Next year we're throwing ourselves into a business, and at the end of the year we should be done enough to justify selling the house and the land to fund our release. So in 2 years we'll either be filthy rich on our own island, or bankrupt and still here in my PPoR with no IP.

Back