Finance for wraps in Australia

Finance for wraps in Australia does seem to be an issue. A lot of people keep saying use a broker, but no one seems to be able to answer the question of does full disclosure legally need to be given to the lender (or mortgage insurers). Are there any solicitors out there who can answer this from a legal perspective?

Hi Bub

Does full disclosure need to be given .............

When forming a contract between two parties and one party purposefully omits information which would materially change the risk to the lender or the insurer, you would be in breach of your mortgage contract.

That type of breach is similar to a default meaning that the lender can pull their loan out from under you with a repayable on demand (say 30 days) provision.

Ta

rolf

Thanks for the reply Rolf,

So how does one get around this as every lender and bank that I have spoken to seems happy to do finance for wraps as long as you don't say this is what the property is for?

Bub

Hi,

Ask your solicitor what would need to be signed by them to allow you to claim against their professional liabilty insurance, to cover the loan amount if ever the bank decides you encumbered their mortgage without their "written" prior approval.

Just explain as a business operator, this is an insurance policy you need to take to ensure the secure running of your business, and that if they are happy with providing finance on particular terms (what you said before), then they should have no problem signing such a statutory declaration.

Again seek legal advice, ask them about disclosure of encumberance of mortgage, and how easy it is for lender to ask for full recall of finance.

Call it "sleep well at night insurance"

Just a thought
Michael G

Bub,

You may also want to read Section 178 of the crimes act in NSW

In Vic Section 73 & Section 74.

"Obtaining financial advantage by deception or obtaining property by deception."

The way I see it, even as Rolf says, you would void your contract and the Bank could call in the loan; the Bank could also report you under the above acts and you could end up on a holiday for a few years.

I looked at wrapping and saw the problems with disclosure and my "sleep at night" factor was exceeded.

I have great admiration in the wrappers who are successful with full disclosure, but with the financiers I spoke to, I found that the truth needed to be bent a little too much for my comfort factor.

PS...if you are going to bend the truth, you would want to make it a whole lot more rewarding than $20 per week!!.

Cheers,

Noddy

Back