Finding tenants

Hi all,

Just thought it would be interesting to find out what rental strategies are working for people in these time when vacancy rates could be rising.

Furnish/unfurnish
rental reduction/ xx weeks free

What are your thoughts?

Aikido,

We haven't had to use any strategies to keep properties full as we are careful to buy in areas with low vacancy rates.

However we do send our tenants movie tickets or similar a few times a year to let them know how much we appreciate them.

Prevention is better than cure :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Likewise,

I beleive that the best strategy would be to purchase in low vacancy areas that have more pros than cons, close proximity to schools, shops , beach etc. a place that 9 out of 10 people would walk into and say 'I wouldn't mind renting here'

Acey, The Movie tickets is a great idea. A nice touch. I've heard of landlords leaving a fresh fruit platter for their new tennants.

I once recieved a packet of microwave popcorn whilst I was renting. It had a note attached saying 'impressed with the inspection and how clean the place is, keep up the good work"
A little quirky and I wasn't sure whether to feel rewarded or insulted .
I ate it all the same : )

Marco

With my (good) tenants I will give them a weeks free rent at xmas. Movie Tickets are a great idea, scratchies can work too.

Furnishing a property to rent it always seems problematic to me. If they want the furniture they don't look after it. If they don't want it you have to store it. Depends on your area I guess.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Dear Aikido,

Agree with Kev regarding the furniture.

Unless you are specifically trying to appeal to a "student market" with the inherent vacancies during holidays periods I would stay away from supplying furniture.

Furniture will always attract a more transient tenant and increase your vacancy rate. Practically consider this..... If you don't have any furniture then it is easier for you to move. However if you have a heap of furniture a tenant would think twice before moving because of the physical effort and cost involved.

Also agree with Aceyducey on the prevention issue.

Therefore BEFORE buying it is critical to purchase a property that you think will continually have a low vacancy rate and will always be in demand. This is a key part of your initial due diligence.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

There is an agency here who will find tennants for free. I haven't looked into it yet, so don't know how much (if any) advertising that'll include. It did say it included potential tennant checks.

In a newspaper article when asked what the catch was, they responded that there wasn't any, although following the service, most ppl signed them up as the PM's - although it wasn't obligatory.

Back