First house n land, general question

Being a first time buyer in this category, I signed the contract yesterday and Im intending to put a pool in the backyard,

Forgive me but the propper term has slipped my mind,
on the plans there is a 3 metre mark starting at the fence along the whole side until it hits the end and also the back fence that I cannot build on, its sewerage pipes or drains, do most houses have this legality or is it more a case of just mine? . . :cool:

Its a bit of a pain because I really wanted the pool at the rear of the yard but it may have to go out the front to the side of the yard.

That would be an easement. There would be a house in almost every street with an easement. Yeah it is a bit of a pain but not much you can do about it. You should call up the authority (Power & Water) who own the easement and find out how close to the easement you can dig a pool.

From what I have found easments at rear yards are usually sewer or stormwater. Unusual to have power cables running there.

My PPOR has a stormwater easement pipe to one side. The home had to be built 900mm to the side of this. And you cannot build over it.

Did not really worry me and the saving of $20k on the block made it even better.

There are covenat things about the pipe being dug up etc if needed. But it is only new and I cannot se aany drama with it whilst i am here.

As well most new technology for pipe cleaning and re-furbishment is No Dig.

Check with whoever has the easment for conditions of building close to the pipe etc.

Gee Cee

Greg

If putting a pool in then don't go over the easement but you can put other things within reason as long as you understand if they need access it will be removed.

Also if this is an IP then don't put in a pool unless you plan on moving in your self later and wait until the last possible moment to put the pool in. Tenants have a bad habit of stuffing up pools and filter systems. Also make sure if you do put in a pool it is covered by your insurance. When you renew your insurance make sure the pool is still covered as insurance companies make a habit of changing the policies and if you don't read the policy carefully you could come undone.

Back