First-time buyers take advantage of grants

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...ntage-of-grants/2009/02/06/1233423496702.html

FIRST-HOME owners are buying property in greater numbers than for the past six years after the recent boost in Government grants.

About 8380 first-home buyers in NSW received $103 million from state and federal governments in the two months to December 31.

The majority, about 5483, each received $14,000, the NSW Office of State Revenue said. Just 225 received the full $24,000 grant.

The renewed competition for new home buyers has prompted the developer Australand to entice first-home buyers with cheaper food and petrol through a $6000 Woolworths gift card.

For the first time in six years, first-home buyers make up more than 20 per cent of buyers.

The first timers represented 23.6 per cent of the housing market in November, up from 19.5 per cent in October when the Rudd Government announced the doubling of the $7000 first-home owner grant to $14,000 for an existing house.

Another $7000 is available for a newly built house.

The NSW Government also announced in November an additional $3000 for first-home buyers purchasing a newly built house or building a house.

Grant numbers averaged 3610 a month since the first home scheme was introduced in 2000.

Loans to first-home buyers rose to 30.5 per cent in NSW last month, double the 15.2 per cent in July, after the sixth consecutive monthly rise, Mark Hewitt, the general manager of sales at the mortgage broker Australian Financial Group, said.

"Younger people with reasonably secure jobs have become an important force in the property market during the past few months," Mr Hewitt said. "You have the Government's subsidy, you have prices coming down, and interest rates are low."

Despite the fillip from first-home buyers, vendors are not securing their asking prices.

At Caringbah a two-bedroom Gardere Street townhouse, listed last October at $490,000, sold late last month at $430,000, a 12 per cent discount on the asking price.

It was sold by an investor getting $420 a week and was bought by first-home buyers who have been renting in the area.

"Young buyers have decided to get into the market while the Government has the bigger first-home grant on offer," the selling agent, Peter Fennell, said.

Real estate agents suggest the longer the property has been on the market, the bigger the drop in asking price as vendors re-acclimatise to price levels.

Agents report some quick sales to first-home buyers.

At Lane Cove a $397,600 sale was secured two weeks after a two-bedroom Burns Bay Road investment unit hit the market.

Rented out at $340 a week, it last traded at $362,000 in 2002.

But a Sylvania agent, Michelle Michell, said vendors were often needing to extend the five-day cooling-off period to allow first-home buyers enough time to get bank approvals.

"It might take a bit longer, but we haven't had a deal fall over because of finance," a Gymea agent, Dino Salvatore, said.

"I have only had one recent buyer needing finance who managed to get bank approval within the five-day period," Mr Salvatore said.

The Real Estate Institute of Australia has called on the Federal Government to extend the grants beyond its proposed June 30 cut-off.

"The boost has sparked increased interest in home ownership," the institute's president, Noel Dyett, said. "But the lag in the supply response by builders and developers means much of this increased demand will not be satisfied until the second half of the year at the earliest."

Me: I wonder if this take up of the FHB grants/boost is responsible for rising vacancy rates in some areas?

FIRST-HOME owners are buying property in greater numbers than for the past six years after the recent boost in Government grants.

For the first time in six years, first-home buyers make up more than 20 per cent of buyers.

I smell some industry BS here. Absolute sales numbers to FHB and percentage of buyers that are FHB are different measures. Could it be a miraculous coincidence that BOTH hit a 6 year record ?? I suspect the only reason FHBs are up as a percentage is that total sales have collapsed making their share bigger but that is about it.

I suspect the only reason FHBs are up as a percentage is that total sales have collapsed making their share bigger but that is about it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. There are lots of FHB's and the prices are still being discounted ~10%. FHB's are controlling the lower market like crazy at the moment.

I'm trying to buy my first property by the end of the month. Wish me luck :)

Chris

I smell some industry BS here. Absolute sales numbers to FHB and percentage of buyers that are FHB are different measures. Could it be a miraculous coincidence that BOTH hit a 6 year record ?? I suspect the only reason FHBs are up as a percentage is that total sales have collapsed making their share bigger but that is about it.

I agree YM.

My local real estate agent mate tells me the buyers have left the building. Houses are sitting there way longer, but still getting decent prices generally (not much panic selling down our way which is good), but the volume of sales is way down. I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a couple of agencies here in the next 6 months if the sales stay low.

And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work it out - less credit available, tighter lending criteria, global downturn, negative sentiment, daily media reports of more massive job losses - all these factors create a scenario where most people become both unable and unwilling to buy a property.

The average wage earner is scared of losing their job. They are also heavily in consumer debt as an average, so won't have much of a deposit saved for a house. Many are already owners, so they are ineligible for the grants and are scared/unable to trade up.

The high wage earner is similar to the above, but there are less of them in the community anyway, so their percentage of sales is small overall at the best of times. They have probably taken massive losses in the stock market, as this section of the community are able to invest more into super and shares. Many high income earners don't save either, so their deposits are seriously challenged as with the middle/lower income earners.

Many investors are nervous and are sitting on their hands waiting for some sign that it's safe to enter the water, many have high LVR's and are scared or unable to go higher, and yields in many areas are still not great, so a lot of the cashflow investors have left the building for the time being.

This leaves the FHB's. Many are on decent wages, so their servicability is good, even though they often have saved no money. They can virtually move into a home with no money required whatsoever.

So, you're left with those few who are able to access their equity, a few FHB's and few normal and higher income people who have managed to keep building their savings for a real deposit, and a few empty-nesters who are scaling down. A good number of these are not selling though as they can't get a decent price for their current PPoR, so aren't buying until they sell.

It's ironic that we are entering such a terrific low interest rate climate, and yet much of the population won't be able to take advantage of it.

From my experience I disagree, our agency sells property in one of Melbournes most expensive suburbs, the volume of buyers has decreased significantly over the last few months in our area for properties 800k +, but with properties under 400k we have seen great numbers of FHO enquiries.

However, our other offices in suburbs with average property prices around 400-500k have had some of their best months on record.

Hi Andrew de a

Have to agree with you.

Bought a villa unit in a block of 8 in November for low 400k's, as a IP, myself and 2 FHBs
were the interested parties.

Another unit in the block sold to a FHB in December for $470000 but the deal fellover
due to finance.

This unit was again put on the market with 1 open for inspection on the 24th Jan.,
6 contracts were taken, all by first home buyers and sold the following week for
$480000.

Cheers

Pete

my sister just bought a house on friday night.
~$340K, in Glendenning (western sydney).

The house was listed at 3pm on friday arvo. When we went thru the house at 5pm, we were the 3rd people thru, and another 2 groups went in whilst we were negotiating with the vendor.
Offer was accepted by 5.45pm, and 0.25% deposit paid and contract signed by 6.30pm.

I was absolutely stunned at the demand. ALL were FHBs (my sister included).

Then when i was looking around in Quakers Hill, i looked at a house listed for $299K. It was ok, but nothing flash at all. I wanted to pay $260-265K.
About 3-4 groups of FHBers came through, and one offered $290K... and ended up buying it for $295K.

I've never seen it like this. Normally i go to an open home and there's like 2-3 people there... this weekend there was 5-10.

I think that the news of 5% interest rates has brought so many more people onto the market - rental yield in these areas is usually >5%, so its going to cost them about the same to own as it does to rent.

I think it depends on the suburb, but there is definately ALOT of interest up on the Redcliffe peninsula, yet I hear Brisbane is pretty quiet.

Anything between 300-500k in a reasonable suburb with access to good facilities.

Regards Jo

FHB interest is insane, but anything higher is dead. If you live in an FHB type property that you have paid off and are looking to upgrade this is a once in a lifetime opportunity IMO.

Just realising that people reporting that not much is happening in their area are tending to be in Victoria, NSW and QLd people seem to be seeing more action - is this because Victoria was going nuts before things went pearshaped?

Just realising that people reporting that not much is happening in their area are tending to be in Victoria, NSW and QLd people seem to be seeing more action - is this because Victoria was going nuts before things went pearshaped?

Hi Sparky

??...Out of 7 positive reports on this thread 2 are from Vic., none from QLD.

Cheers

Pete

Wider observation not just in this thread, certainly not meaning that nothing is happening in Vic. No doubt it is suburb specific in all states. Seems that some of the $600,000 to $1.2m properties are on the move too at least in NSW.

I found it a little odd to hear a radio advertisement to first home buyers on the weekend that was written and authorized by the federal government. The content was information about grants that may be available to purchase property.

I thought that was the job of big property developers.

Back