First Time Investor - Re-Finance

I am married with 3 kids (like tv show) our PPOR is worth $650k and we owe $440k... I have an income of $105k pa!

What are my options? How much equity do i access? Or do I need a new loan / Line of credit?

Thank you for help!

Hi Hawks100,

What options are you considering? Do you mean you want to purchase an IP? Why are you looking at re-financing?

Regards,
M&M

Do you have any savings? Does your wife work? Are you looking at shares? Property?

With good debt serviceability you have quite a few options

I am married with 3 kids (like tv show) our PPOR is worth $650k and we owe $440k... I have an income of $105k pa! How much equity do i access?
If you can get an 80% LVR loan, it would work out to $650,000*0.8 = 520,000. Pay out the $440,000 you owe and you are left with $80,000 of available equity to invest......more if you want to ramp it up to 90%LVR (if you qualify and if you pay mortgage insurance).

Every lender has different serviceabilty criteria. Speak to a good MB about your options.

I am really interested investing in property; just not sure if the $80k equity is enough to start me out or if I need to wait? As we don't have any savings we could put towards it and wife is home with kids at this stage!

I am really interested investing in property; just not sure if the $80k equity is enough to start me out or if I need to wait? As we don't have any savings we could put towards it and wife is home with kids at this stage!

$80K is stacks to start out with. If you are clever you can use that one deposit over and over again for each IP.

I had 5 kids and a stay-at-home wife when I started - and only then with a $30K deposit (from a PPOR equity draw-down). I've never saved a deposit in my life - apart from the very first for a PPOR.

You just need a strategy :)

Hiya

Important that u decide on a goal and a financing strategy to achieve it.

The refinance bit is only one Small ( but important) bit of the puzzle

You have to have an idea of where you want to go so u can choose the right vehicle.

ta
rolf

Would be very interest to know more about how you were able to use the same deposit etc over and over again???

I have read a lot about people arranging lines of credit for deposits etc is this a good way to go?

And if I have $70k-$80k equity am I best to split and maybe look at purchasing two ip's? I guess one of our major concerns is more cash flow.

woah

slow down a little :)

Work out where you want to go and what you can afford.

The build your finance structure around your needs.

If you are having issues working through what you want, most brokers from this forum will be able to take you through a "guided discovery process" that will help u to work out whats possible

ta
rolf

Great advice from Rolf - as always!

If you are on a high salary & paying a fair whack of tax, you can look at whether some of the benefits of negative gearing may be for you.

Alternately, you could look for a property where the rent pretty much covers the bills so you're holding costs are maybe $20 a week or lower.

I think you need to decide which investing strategy suits your family's needs.

You can set up an income tax withholding variation form which will give you the estimated tax dollars back in your pocket every week instead of waiting for a return at the end of the year. This helps with the cost of holding an IP.

You could set up a LOC secured against the IP loan to cover the holding costs of the property...but as Rolf said, that's down the track a bit when you have decided on a strategy.

Don't just assume buying a place will give you dollars in the bank. You need to buy the right place in the right location etc etc for you!...research, research, research....do figures on places & calculate how much they would make you/how much you need to cover in the short term......then contemplate buying :)

Back