First time renovator! New kitchen - Rental increase?

Hi all,

Am currently in the process of renovating my old mans rental and interested to know people thoughts on potential rental increase. Unit is in Glen Waverley and is currently bringing in $400pw. The unit is a 2-1-1 brick veneer. I have added a few before & after images for those interested. If in his position would you increase rent? and what increase is reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• kitchen before.png
    kitchen before.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 148
  • kitchen2.jpg
    kitchen2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 137
A property Manager from the area would be able to give you an accurate figure, or just jump on realestate.com and have a look at comparable rentals.

very nice

how much was the kitchen ?

Thanks TMNT,

Kaboodle (bunnings) carcass, doors, handles etc was $4k (surprisingly easy to work with - I used to be a cabinet maker so am reasonably fussy with quality). Benchtop was done by a local cabinet maker, haven't got the invoice for that yet ha! Then there was a couple of hours for a plasterer and appliances were around $800..

I'd say end figure will be around $7k-ish.. This isn't including any of my labour which is $0 as I'm working off my years of free rent (still living at home). Not far off being completed then I've got my own 2nd rental to renovate. Cannot wait!

Lovely looking kitchen - great work! I used an Ikea kitchen 5 years ago. Still looks excellent.
Ask your PM about increasing the rent. However: This Jan, i went on RE.com and saw that the average rental for my IP type and area was $350wk, mine was going to be listed at $340wk ( its in very average condition). The PM said she would struggle to get $350 but i refused to drop to $340. Took her 2 days and new tenants were signed up for $355 before the old tenants had even vacated. So i guess it depends on your PM.
Cheers, nat

Back