First timers showtime and advice - McDeyess Reno attempt

Greetings all,

Long time reader, random and infrequent poster here :D

My partner and I have bought a house in Brisbane. We are looking to do a basic reno and rent it out when we are done. The house is a 3 bedroom chamferboard we are doing what we can ourselves - removing wallpaper, painting, flat-pac kitchen etc.

I have previously read posts from members who provided details of their reno and thought I would try and do the same as I found it very interesting and inspiring. We have already done some work and I will post some pic's

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
McDeyess

Some pics as promised

Hello again all,

And now for some pics. I think I have done this correctly, apologies if not.

Original pics

House
Photo0082.jpg

Kitchen
bilsand_009.jpg

Bathroom - tough to get a good pic
bilsand_015.jpg

Living off Kitchen
bilsand_006.jpg

Cheers,
McDeyess

Some work we have done

Anyhow to bring people up to speed. We have been working for about 3 weekends so far.

- Tidied up the front of the house a bit
- Backyard also mostly cleaned up
- All wallpaper removed
- 2 of 10 windows stripped back
- Kitchen removed

Here are some updated pics

IMG00025.jpg

IMG00023.jpg

Major tasks outstanding
Install kitchen
renovate bathroom (builder)
Replace front stairs and balcony rail (rotten and illegal) - also builder
Painting
removing carpet
polishing floorboards
Install garage roller door

No doubt there is stuff I am missing - just writing off the top of my head atm

Cheers,
McDeyess

Well the outside looks fantastic compared to the original, well done.

I'm sure the inside will look as good.

reno

The front of the house looks so much better. I actually had to scroll back up to see what you had changed.

It's not a lot actually but it looks so much better after a clean up.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with that bathroom. It's a beauty. :)

Looks like it will turn out great. Where is it? Looks like its on a decent size plot. Do you mind posting your ballpark figures ie how much you think you will have to spend, how much you expect value to increase etc. It would be helpful for others thinking of taking the plunge...

Some figures

Coolie has asked me to provide some figures and further details... being a private person I am a little hesitant however much of this information is in the public domain anyhow.

The house is on a 600m2 block about 7km south of Brisbane city.
Paid $440K for it
Originally budgeted $20K to fix it up.... (though that was blown out of the water yesterday)

When done we hope it is valued at around $510 - $520

That isn't a huge increase but being our first reno attempt we still have a lot to learn.

Lesson one is builders and quotes. I have a builder who I like but I feel I may be getting ripped a bit on price as we are getting close to xmas and it is hard to get a tradie. Basically he wants $6K to install new front steps and railing + replace some rotten floor boards - that was kind of a huge shock to me as when I had the building inspection I asked the guy how much he reckoned they would cost to replace and he said about $3K.

For a new bathroom I am looking at almost $7K... that is to rip out most of the asbestos walls and tile, install a completely new shower and do the plumbing new taps for bath, vanity etc + supply and install a toilet. The bath stays and the floor doesn't need to be tiled. The bathroom is really small so I was expecting closer to $5K

Kitchen is another great lesson - such variety. I originally and am still looking at the bunnings flat pac stuff. I wanted a white vinyl wrap with laminate benchtop - that would probably cost about $3500 + getting someone to cut/install the benchtop + handles.
I have looked at a few other suppliers around Brisbane of varying quality and prices - up to $6K. I found an interesting guy this weekend who has good quality 2-pac kitchens (some are crap and chip) - he would supply all cupboards and handles of my choice for $3400. He doesn't do laminate benchtops but seems to have Granite available at a price that is very competitve with laminate!!! (never thought I would find that). The problem is that installing Granite is much more expensive than getting my tradie to install the laminate.

So yeah some tough financial decisions this week. I am looking at talking to my tradie about his prices and maybe trying to get another quote for the deck at least. .... anyone know someone in Brisbane who makes decks/stairs?

Cheers McDeyess,

PS. Hoping my trifecta comes through in the cup today... that might make these decisions a bit easier :D

Thanks for your comments

Thanks to everyone for their kind words and encouragement.

Regarding the front of the place we didn't think it would take much to see a big improvement. We removed all the crap to let some light in as the house gets good shade anyhow. Opening up the deck made a huge difference to the inside of the house as well. Once the new strairs and railing are in + a garage door it should be sweet. The outside could do with a lick of a paint (plus my partner hates the colours) but that can wait till next year the inside is the real project.

Cleaning up the garden was a big thing as well, they had planted some HUGE tree's right next to the house so I had some fun with the chainsaw :D So many leaves as well and we still have a huge pile up the back we need to get rid of

Cheers,
McDeyess

Tradie update

Well I have had a bit of luck with the front deck and found another tradie who is between jobs due to the rain and is willing to do the front (to a better standard I think) for $4K - as always goes to show that shopping around gets it done.

For the bathroom I have bit the bullet and accepted the quote, I managed to negotiate a few extra's. The guy admits he isn't the cheapest but does great work and it will all be done before xmas .... lesson learnt though

Cheers,
McDeyess

Well Done,a deck would set the front of that house,just wondering if theproperty is in Tarragindi,and on one of the hills that face the city or out west try and take the deck out as far as you can, that's a good size block for tarragindi,btw you paid a good price for that property tarragindi is inner city bluechip,what you miss in rental return
you will pick up in c-g;)..willair..IMHO..

the master plan

Thanks willair. You are correct it is in Tarragindi on the hill. There are some views from the front deck out west, overlooks toohey reserve area I think. We thought the price was ok. For the moment we are just trying to update and get it rentable. In the future we may raise and build under... depends on how the market goes. There is a back deck as well, it is currently enclosed as a type of sun room, if we go up we would extend the rear deck.

To me it is the worst house in a pretty good street. Particularly the qlder next door which is basically my dream house *drools* We are hoping to see some capital gains but who knows what is happening with this market... certainly not me. We are looking at holding it for the long term so really our hope is time in the market is our friend as opposed to timing

Cheers,
McDeyess

Front of the house has improved already. Good strategy to work on the front - street presence. Also kitchen and bathroom are the key areas. Great work. I noticed there were many leaves at the front and managing that is a great outcome. :)

F

Front of the house looks great, but watch out for that western sun. Usually awnings and blinds like in the original pictures are only installed if the house faces west and has problems with heat/glare. Without shade protection the house could be a hot box in summer. You may have to install some shading that is more visually appealing.
Marg

Very good point about the shade. I did wonder if that is why they had the screens up ..... yet many neighbours didn't. I spent some time their at different times of the day and the sun comes into the deck but not the living area so it is a great light source that really opened the place up. In the main bedroom (to the left of the stairs) very minimal light gets in as their is good shade from some tree's and that isn't the true western wall anyhow.

Actually funny story the light really comes in from the left of the house (as you look from the front. Their are only 3 small windows on that side and the house next door also gives some shade. The small window in the master bed has actually had a cupboard installed over the top of it.... but they kept the window. It was pretty funny when we found it - you open the cupboard in the master bedroom and their is this small window looking at you. I will take a pic before we board it up.

Cheers,
McDeyess

Hi mcdeyess

It's coming along nicely, you will always be learning when it come to reno's.

I gather the windows are wooden, the thing I have learned is not to gap fill until I have done the following - only strip the really bad bits, after a scrape with a paint scrapper, then a good sand with 40 grit, (don't forget a mask incase of lead paint) then a coat of 1-2-3 primer taubmans. It will cover the majority of gaps and flaws and gives a good base for your top coat.

I also no longer tape the glass I paint the 1-2-3 right into the edges all around the frame and glass (so I have about 5-10mm of paint on the glass), I even paint the top coat on to the glass, but cut in where the frame butts the wall, Then I scrap the paint off the window. I find it quicker than masking and cleaner.

I do the same with door frames paint the 1-2-3 all over the frames and into the gaps between the wall and frame, it fill so much. Save a lot of time and money on gap filler.

Hope this helps :D

Mcdeyess,

The progress looks great.

Just curious to know what the name and contact details are for your kitchen contact? Im just about to do mine, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Should have some more pics by mid next week. The frigging on again off again rain on the weekends has been a real obstacle to our painting plans for the front stairs :mad:

As for our kitchen, it isn't the cheapest place but I reckon the quality is pretty good and it doesn't take 6 weeks to be ready. They do have limited stock only white gloss 2-pac or wooden kitchens. I didn't even know this place did kitchens it is called YATO home improvements and is located in Rocklea. Managers name is Jack Wong from memory. Really great and friendly guy, of all the kitchen people I spoke to he seemed to really understand how they are put together - seemed to me like he had done a few installs himself. I was very impressed by his knowledge. His stuff isn't for everyone but is certainly worth a look.

I recommend people also check out the second hand kitchen place at Kangaroo point. They had some great stock, the prices were a little higher than I expected but as the stock revolves it is basically pot luck to see if they have something you need. It is called Second hand kitchen warehouse

I went to an Auction as well held by Greys. Some pretty good kitchens there too once again pot luck as to whether they will work for you. I thought the expensive kitchens went for good prices, while the cheapies seemed to not be such a bargain. Then again it could have just been the day I went out. Tender disposals down south is also pretty good depending on what they have in stock.

Bunnings is of course your basic option and their new range looks much better than their old stuff.

In Brisbane I also looked at Barry's, Kit Kitchens and Mr Cupboard - they were all either too expensive or poor quality IMHO - obviously I am not kitchen expert.

Cheers,
McDeyess

Been a while

Yeah I know I have been slack. Things have been moving slower than expected. The pic below shows the property at the front currently.

We have done some other things;
Bathroom has a new vanity, shower and has been re-tiled (will probably paint it next weekend)

New front door

Most of the sanding has been done (just never seems to end with all the doors, skirting boards and window/door frames)

Floor - finally finished sanding the floor and start to seal and finish it tonight

Few more pics when I get these odds and ends sorted out I hope. The rain continues to slow down painting the stairs.

Cheers,
McDeyess

IMG00046.jpg

Back