Fishbowl / Wide Angle Lenses and Photoshopping

Or closing the blind. Or not including the window in shot.

It's not for selling the house, it's for personal use.

HDR can work for taking pictures which are stitched together but it's not available on the easier to use pano options.

HDR has nothing to do with stitching photos together to give the illusion of a wide angle lens being used. It stands for High Dynamic Range where the one photo or composition is taken at (usually) 3 different exposure levels to capture the low lights and the high lights then merged together in a photo editing program. Done properly the end result is a nicely exposed photo where the low lights and high lights (the usually under and over exposed) parts of the photo are correctly exposed making for a well exposed photo.

Most of the smart phones these days come with the HDR function built in to the camera and the quality isn't too bad for what it is.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Photos taken using HDR can be better quality than just single shots, especially as you say with light exposure variations.

Photos taken using HDR can be subsequently stitched together using HDR. However pano apps which allow you to continuously take a picture, rather than stitching photos together, can't take advantage of HDR techniques.

And therefore a pro is needed to both stitch and HDR a wide angle shot.

I know it's for personal use, but saying for anyone thinking of marketing that's all.

I can take the 3 bracketed shots along the line of pano positions and have it all stitched seamlessley and all in HDR. Leave the windows open and capture the scenes/view outside as well.

It's easy to tell the REA's that have pros doing their photography.

The phone cameras may be able to do HDR but each shot will be HDR'd on it's own set of light parameters coming into the sensor.

When a pro does this manually, they have a set bracket of exposure across the whole scene giving no different shades of light but all even and as close to what the eye sees as possible.

Can make 360 deg shots this way also showing the roof, floor, basically the whole scene using stitched still shots.

Amazing tech these days.:)

The link at
http://www.realestateview.com.au/Re...Property-Details-buy-residential-7571544.html
gives a property at 113 Holmes Road Bendigo. Look at the hybrid map and note the factory or shops or the like opposite. Then look at the street view - it's another street. The street view says "12 Henkel St, Long Gully, Victoria
Address is approximate" and has houses both sides. Must have been an accident showing a better street.

Showing the wrong street in street view is very questionable and arguably illegal.

Nek, it may be human error but I have seen this a few times, always with a similar somewhat dismal streetscape at the property for sale and always with a better streetscape in the street view. Under consumer law the product does not match the picture, and that is a breach.

Australia-wide legislation with penalties linked to the value of the property and paid by the REA would be good. Penalties that increase with each offence would concentrate minds.

Pretty much luck of the draw - if you don't do proper due dilligence you may not notice that there are high tension powerlines over the back of the block, that council has removed the heavy traffic road restrictions etc if you haven't checked.

If you look at google maps you get a totally different street (probably the right one).

Scott, a timely reminder - due diligence. The process starts with the advertising, then records such as online, trends, valuations, etc, and finally an inspection. The order can be changed. I start with the easy ones as the early easy checks act as a filter. Had I been more interested in the Bendigo property I would have checked the zones. The inaccurate street view reflects badly on the agent.

***** me no end when they put rubbish 'views' in the windows that look nothing like the reality.

For me, I really dislike houses without proper photos or floorplans, and unless it seems a really good deal I won't bother.

Agreed. I'd like to see a law that requires a floor plan and a block plan. Some leeway would be allowed regarding dimensions, but potential buyers and renters would get a better idea of the layout and size. Also, there could be a summary of areas: block, dwelling, garage, patios. Arranging a plan would cost but once done REAs could share.

The link to the photoshopped website advises "The page you requested does not exist, or is currently unavailable." Maybe the REA took note of complaints and took the website down. Is there a street address?

Anyone relying on the advertising photos when buying property needs to rethink their strategy.

Agreed, but there should be a reasonable degree of accuracy. Website enquiries are the first filter. REAs will doubtless suggest that a little bit of creativity is needed to get people to make personal enquiries, but I see gross inaccuracies as wasting everyone's time. REAs are creative with prices as well.

Ok, anyone relying on REA for advice needs to rethink their strategy.

Go to the property, inspect for ones self, do the DD.

REA is just the messenger of offers and counter offers.

Ok, anyone relying on REA for advice needs to rethink their strategy.

Go to the property, inspect for ones self, do the DD.

REA is just the messenger of offers and counter offers.

And how do you screen properties to prioritise which you visit, especially when buying a PPOR instead of an IP say? Personally, there's a bunch of houses I rule out because of floorplans/siteplans once I've identified an area

And how do you screen properties to prioritise which you visit, especially when buying a PPOR instead of an IP say? Personally, there's a bunch of houses I rule out because of floorplans/siteplans once I've identified an area

For the floor plans use google satellite view to review the roof design. Combined with the pictures provided, you can usually work out the expected floor plan.

PPOR and IP require the same amount of due diligence. How you do prioritise? See all where possible, where there are clashes, take into account land size, location, price and whatever other factors your value. Whichever one is of greater interest, go to that one.

To be reliant on the information that is simply provided to you is foolish.

Maybe people could put their worst examples of photo shopping up here

Unfortunately I haven't seen too many bad ones

For the floor plans use google satellite view to review the roof design. Combined with the pictures provided, you can usually work out the expected floor plan..
Why should I bother? They're trying to sell to me, they should provide something as basic as this. It cost me $200 when I sold, done with lasers and looked very professional.

PPOR and IP require the same amount of due diligence. How you do prioritise? See all where possible, where there are clashes, take into account land size, location, price and whatever other factors your value. Whichever one is of greater interest, go to that one..
I'm not saying they don't require the same dd, but it's a completely different decision. I might hate austerity houses with bathrooms in the middle, but I don't care how renters feel, so long as it will rent for what I need it to.

To be reliant on the information that is simply provided to you is foolish.
To rely solely on it, yes. But again, if I'm trying to screen a large number of properties, why not. For some reason you seem to think I'm an idiot, I don't understand your conceit (nor The Fences, who's decided that his approach is the way real investors do business).

Why should I bother? They're trying to sell to me, they should provide something as basic as this. It cost me $200 when I sold, done with lasers and looked very professional.

I'm not saying they don't require the same dd, but it's a completely different decision. I might hate austerity houses with bathrooms in the middle, but I don't care how renters feel, so long as it will rent for what I need it to.

To rely solely on it, yes. But again, if I'm trying to screen a large number of properties, why not. For some reason you seem to think I'm an idiot, I don't understand your conceit (nor The Fences, who's decided that his approach is the way real investors do business).

If that's how you feel then so be it. There really isn't much point to discuss the benefits of what myself and the fence are referring to. That said, the more people who share you mindset the better it is for me. Good luck with your investments. :)

Back