Fixing a wrong/non sloping shower

Was wondering if there are any plumbers here,

am struggling to get a straight answer from plumbers in the area

ive had a builder do my bathroom with a frameless shower,

unforutnately, he has botched teh job, and done a runner,

basically the shower isnt level towards teh drain, and the tenants have to mop up after each shower,

what can I do? obviously want to do it on a budget as we did spend a fair bit of $$$ from scratch

Was wondering if there are any plumbers here,

am struggling to get a straight answer from plumbers in the area

ive had a builder do my bathroom with a frameless shower,

basically the shower isnt level towards teh drain, and the tenants have to mop up after each shower,

what can I do? obviously want to do it on a budget as we did spend a fair bit of $$$ from scratch

I'm not an expert, but a moulded shower tray would be quickest and cheapest.
edit - just noticed it's a frameless shower screen, probably won't work.

Sounds like you need a tiler to remove the tiles and do it again. You'd also need the frameless screen removed and reinstalled after.

Similar thing happened to our son's bathroom. Their tiler is going to be coughing for the fix by another tiler via the tribunal.

Hi TMNT,

Unfortunately I think Wylie is right. I'm not a tiler but have come across this a number of times.

If the shower screen touches the pan tiles (bottom of shower base) as opposed to sitting on a hob on the side of the shower (raised area) then you will need to have the shower screen removed first before the base can be repaired. Hopefully the shower screen does sit on a raised area so that will at least save the cost of removal/re-installation. We recently had a shower screen removed/re-installed for painting some wall tiles and this cost $200.

When they re-do the shower tiles, they need to remove the tiles, re-shape the pan, re-waterproof and then re-lay the tiles. My estimate (a real guess!) is that the cost would be around $600-$700. Anyone out there who knows better, please jump in!

Next time, it could be a good idea to check if all your tradies are licensed.

Good luck!

Sounds like you need a tiler to remove the tiles and do it again. You'd also need the frameless screen removed and reinstalled after.

Similar thing happened to our son's bathroom. Their tiler is going to be coughing for the fix by another tiler via the tribunal.

the tiler will win in the tribunal.

the tiler will win in the tribunal.

I don't think so ...

It hasn't gone to the tribunal but he has already paid most of the cost of the "fix". He got things very wrong and has admitted as much. He has paid up rather than have the matter taken further.

safe to say not the brightest legal rep.people get away with murder.

Yeah I know, those damn paying customers who expect a job to be done correctly. They get away with murder.

Poor tiler who did the job poorly, he is the victim in all this your honour.

safe to say not the brightest legal rep.people get away with murder.

Let it go will you. He did the wrong thing, he admitted it and he is paying for the fix. He has a lawyer because they received a letter. But he has paid most of the fix cost and is holding out for the last bit, hence the lawyer letter calling a bluff. It won't work.

You clearly have some sort of issue or history with this. Are you a tiler?

And I have experience with lawyers and barristers, very recent. Being "right" doesn't mean you don't get screwed. Believe me!

If it's not level then you are going to have to reset the level and rip everything up if it's on a slab then it's back too the base slab nothing like the sound of a jackhammer in the morning,,also it may pay to look into your landlords insurance "IF" while cleaning up the extra water on the tiles the tenant slips over and goes belly-up then you find out with an absence of understanding most insurance companies have from my experience,,who ends up carrying the legal can..imho..

I'd also add that I'm sure a good tiler would not just take up the tiles in the shower. I know when we had our bathroom done recently, we wanted him to waterproof everything except one wall we thought we would have to remove to get the bath in :eek:.

He told us the waterproofing had to be done in the room at the one time to form a proper barrier. He wasn't prepared to do part of the waterproofing and then add more to the wall we would put in once the bath went in. We had to find another way to get the bath in.

So, if your tiler is good and wants to ensure he doesn't have you come back later with problems, you may find you have to rip up the whole floor and probably the first wall tile. I think this is what our son had to have done.

They also had to have a new shower screen made because the existing one was made to fit the tiles. Once the tiles are changed, it is unlikely the bottom edge will be right for the screen made to fit the old tiles.

Back