Floor covering

I am just in the process of purchasing floor coverings for a house I am building.

I went to the local carpet store and got a quote for "supply only" (I can lay myself) 170m2 of industrial vinyl planking,
Retails for $72 m2, 170m x $72 = $12240 if you paid retail.
Best price I got was $40 m2 = $6800 if you bargain.;)

Well you are saying to yourself that really good and I should take that price,however I always look for a better deal.

Same product on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VINYL-FLOORI...&pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item4cf0392345

Total price is $2720 plus $200 delivered to my door.

That's buying power and an incredible saving of $3880 :D

That's a great saving! It's always good to shop around and some of the auction houses have great deals on floor coverings too such as Fowles in their weekly auctions. Definitely worth having a look.

Wishing you every success, Ana Stankovic

That just goes to show how much you were over quoted in the first place.
Ikea is good for cheap flooring. When we last bought some it was $18/sqm.

Gools

That just goes to show how much you were over quoted in the first place.
Ikea is good for cheap flooring. When we last bought some it was $18/sqm.

Gools

You're thinking laminate flooring Gools, totally different from vinyl planks.
Vinyl planks are glued directly to the floor. they are relatively water resistant and hard wearing. Unlike lammy floors, if you have a damaged plank, you simply pull it up and replace. Laminate is a nightmare to repair due to its click locking system, and they hate water.:eek:
To be honest though, I'm not that big a fan of either...:p

Boods

You're thinking laminate flooring Gools, totally different from vinyl planks.
Vinyl planks are glued directly to the floor. they are relatively water resistant and hard wearing. Unlike lammy floors, if you have a damaged plank, you simply pull it up and replace. Laminate is a nightmare to repair due to its click locking system, and they hate water.:eek:
To be honest though, I'm not that big a fan of either...:p

Boods

I have the commercial one in three of my properties,also in my PPOR, in living areas,
Warm in winter,cool in summer,easy to clean,bad side is it is very expensive to install unless you can do yourself. :rolleyes:

My wife has dropped cups/glasses on the kitchen floor without breaking :eek: so has an absorbent factor.

I like it because tiles with young children are dangerous,we haven't had an issue at all with this product.

The local tavern /bottle shop has the same product in their building,he moves pallets around with the forklift and no problems,quick mop and as good as new.

It is 3mm thick with a wear factor of .5 and that's good. :D

Hi Painter,

I'm considering this style of vinyl plank flooring duplex development just completing now.
Just a question on this low profile flooring.
What would you do when joining into a tile floor which is a fair bit higher?
If I run this vinyl and it meets with a laundry which it tiled, I assume there will be quite a step, maybe 20-30mm, which would be a hazard.
Any solution to this problem, a widish angled joining strip maybe?

Thanks

Hi Painter,

I'm considering this style of vinyl plank flooring duplex development just completing now.
Just a question on this low profile flooring.
What would you do when joining into a tile floor which is a fair bit higher?
If I run this vinyl and it meets with a laundry which it tiled, I assume there will be quite a step, maybe 20-30mm, which would be a hazard.
Any solution to this problem, a widish angled joining strip maybe?

Thanks
Last house I did wasn't an issue as it was something I didn't need to worry about.
I just checked for you in my PPOR,there is tile in wet areas and planking in hallway next to it,only about a 5mm height that we have never noticed or tripped on.So I believe you could be worrying for nothing.

I have just purchased 170m from Ross at http://www.universalflooring.page.tl/VINYL-FLOORING.htm
Very impressed on how he handled the order,even did the glue,delivery,insurance,has them listed on Ebay.

Hi Painter

You mentioned in another thread that it was fiddly(?) to install because of the glue. What exactly makes it so much harder? Looking at it from a simplistic point of view, aren't I just going to be putting some glue on the back and pushing it down?

Also do you have any pics of a laid floor with these planks? I can't really see if it would look nice just by looking a strips on the website. Thanks!

Hi Painter

You mentioned in another thread that it was fiddly(?) to install because of the glue. What exactly makes it so much harder? Looking at it from a simplistic point of view, aren't I just going to be putting some glue on the back and pushing it down?

Also do you have any pics of a laid floor with these planks? I can't really see if it would look nice just by looking a strips on the website. Thanks!

If you are not handy i would not do it,the hardest part is around the door frames etc,Last two places I had the skirting lifted up 3mm,however this project now is flat on the floor so I either use a router to get a 3mm gap for it to slide under or I use scotia nailed to the skirting to finish it.You actually put the glue on the floor and then place the planks on top.There is a glue that dries very slow and it is easier,I prefer the glue that is near instant and when you put a plank down,it is harder to shift or slide.
When you have done a couple of metres you roll it with a roller to make the glue adhere more.

If you were doing a smaller area,like a room it will be easier but when you do say 170m2,problems could happen :eek:Especially if we drink a few rums during it like the last one:D
It will take me probably three days to lay the entire house.Any areas that aren't level will need to be leveled first.
This one will be a saving of around $10,000,so worth the effort.;)

Attachments

• front foyer.jpg
    front foyer.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 127
  • kitch en.jpg
    kitch en.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 122
  • kitche n.jpg
    kitche n.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 127
Wow! That looks awesome! Which flavour of plank did you use? They don't really look like any of the ones on the ebay site. They look much nicer in your photos lol

I only plan on doing my kitchen at the moment... 8m2 or so.

Wow! That looks awesome! Which flavour of plank did you use? They don't really look like any of the ones on the ebay site. They look much nicer in your photos lol

I only plan on doing my kitchen at the moment... 8m2 or so.

Thank you fro the compliment, :eek:

Chestnut on ebay is so close to this one you can hardly tell the difference.

I have finished my floor and have attached a couple of photos,
I ended up using a professional floor layer,
Cost was $20 metre for the labour.
150 m2 @ 150m = $3000
Cost of flooring was $3400 delivered with delivery and glue included.
$6400 in total with 20 m2 and a drum of glue left over.,

Probably a saving of around $6000

Attachments

• oct 2010 144.jpg
    oct 2010 144.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 100
  • oct 2010 146.jpg
    oct 2010 146.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 83
  • oct 2010 196.jpg
    oct 2010 196.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 86