Forest lake, "house for boat swap"

Hi all,

I have been offered a house in forest lake (plus cash) in exchange for my boat...

A little background ... i haven't used the boat for over 18 months... its got to go!

The offer on the table is not exactly great for me ... except i have decided i am better off not having a boat sitting on a mooring going to ruin (and costing me).

Soo, i am trying to avoid a trip to brisbane to check out this house, I have established the true value but there appears to be alot of houses for sale and rent in forest lake and would like some feedback from anyone who knows the suburb.

anyone know the burb? can i resell if i want to and is there a glut of houses for rent there??

appreciate any feedback

regards

rossv

I really like Forest Lake... I used to sell investment properties there last year, but not any more, because I got a different job.
My initial feeling on driving in was "wow, it is sooo green and leafy". Its the sort of place you would like to live in. very well established for a new area. they've done a good job of the development.
There are lots of new homes there, but I think they have a limit on the number of investors, so vacancy rates were certainly quite low last year, don't know how it compares this year, particularly with Springfield Lakes opening up and providing more stock.
There are quite a lot of schools and child care centres in the area, which should attract families, as well as some very high class retirement complexes. My step daughter and future son-in-law just moved up to Springfield Lakes from Sydney and both had jobs within a week, unlike SYdney where they were scratching around getting low paid jobs and working longer hours.
Springfield Lakes will have the largest shopping centre in the southern hemisphere I think, as well as a commercial area.
It takes about 20 minutes to get to the city by car and there is a regular bus service.
I think if you are confident of the value of the house that it would be a good swap for you.
I don't think youd have too much trouble selling, so long as it was in reasonable condition and in a nice area. The areas closer to the Lake sell the best, but most of the areas are quite pleasant.
Hope that helps!
Pen

It depends on the state of the house. Forest Lake is a family suburb. It has one of the best schools in Brissy.

We have 2 IP's there and they are fairly new and rent for $335 p.w. We have no problem renting them out.

Why exactly is someone wanting to swap a house for a boat?

It's a rather unusual request....Obviously they think they are getting a good deal, and although the house might be a great little house.....what is their motivation in giving away a house????? It can give them an income!!!! (Don't misunderstand me, if you need to get rid of your boat anyway, sounds like a good way to do it).

How did this come about? Do you know the people personally?

Some skeptical questions....couldn't help myself. I'm sure you'll do your due diligence anyway. ;)

1st HOme Owner

Ive lived in Forest Lake for years. Since back in 97-98, and Ive seen both the ugly and nicer side to Forest Lake. Its not for me - why? Because It attracts all the rif raff from Inala. The closest adjoining suburb. Dont get me wrong - its a nice enough place. Absolutely chockers full of rentals. Some nice, some not so.

Unfortunately I can see this area becoming just another Browns Plains in due time.

If the house is in CreekWood (this is a village within Forest Lake) Id go for it - otherwise take the time out to carry out an inspection. Forest Lake is crawling with TERMITES also. Theyre absolutely everywhere, and due to the large number of rentals many places arent very well kept.

Another thing - the grounds in this area were originally serviced by a private organisation, now theyre not. So in some areas the grass is long, weedy and unkept. Sure theres plenty of everything, schools, parks, markets etc - but I know of many couples that have lived there for years and the value of their homes has barely increased at all - if any.

RJ

If it doesn't work out Ross, I'll think of swapping it for one in rocky or logan ...:D

Though I'd have to check the boat out to make sure that whoever built it knew what they were doing ...;)

See Change

Rossv,I would look at the offer this way if l was in your position.
if you sold your boat could you buy better than what has been offered to you in Forrest Lake?
cheers yadreamin

Hi all,

Thanx for the responses, very helpful as usual.

AlmostBob: I assume that to be the case...

1st Home Owner: wow, you're soo trusting.... :) . I put it out to market
as a swap for real estate. I figured if i sold it i would put the money into property anway. Don't know the purchasers.

see_change: how many in logan?? I'm told its bulletproof, unsinkable and built by "the best" :rolleyes:

yadreamin: Selling boats is a long drawn out procedure especially so with larger vessels there is a very small market for them here. If i sold the boat for cash i would in theory be better off but if it takes 2 yrs to achieve that i am no better off......

Anyway i will keep you all posted...

regards
rossv

Back