Fraudulent Identity

Hi Members,

Just wanna hear from the members if you had any experience being exposed with fraudulent identity.

Please share your story.

I know for sure that I have been exposed to one but because I am in a preliminary stage in clearing my name and I am yet to share my story.

Once the conclusion was drawn on how it happened etc etc, I will post it on the forum so all are aware how to avoid this predicament.

t:(

I moved from one unit to another a few years ago. I forgot to set up mail redirection until the last day - so about 2-3 weeks worth of mail accumulated at the old address. The new tenant kept it all and gave it to the RE agent - who put it all in one big envelope and sent it to my new address - but it never arrived.

Fast forward 8 weeks - I get a call from NAB asking why I tried to deposit a stolen cheque into one of my accounts. I only use NAB for a loan, not for day-to-day banking - and I've never been to their Blacktown branch where the cheque was deposited. She also asks about a Credit Card I'm applying for.

Thats when we realize someone is fraudulently using my name. We cancel the CC - and she tells me to check my credit file. I request a copy from Veda - and find 2x other CC applications, and a loan with Capital Finance for $33k.

I ring all the places - and so far none have yet been approved - so we cancel all of them. Never found out who did it - but stopped anything bad occurring.

I now religiously pay $50 a year for me and my wife (each) to have a Veda credit alert service. If anyone tries to apply for credit for me or my wife - I get an email that same day.

I find it invaluable - as it has shown me when the banks submit my loan application, and sometimes that they have submitted it twice.

If you have the credit alert service - then you really almost completely neutralize any real credit stealing attempt - whilst protecting your credit history.

Everyone on SS should get it (if they dont already have it).

Is there a second credit rating service that you should also apply for. I thought I read something on SS recently that there are two reporting agencies?

laurencei, you should be able to get the financial institutions to remove the hit(s) on your file with that information.

might take a while, but sending something similar to a "notice of discontinuance" would work.

Veda

I moved from one unit to another a few years ago. I forgot to set up mail redirection until the last day - so about 2-3 weeks worth of mail accumulated at the old address. The new tenant kept it all and gave it to the RE agent - who put it all in one big envelope and sent it to my new address - but it never arrived.

Fast forward 8 weeks - I get a call from NAB asking why I tried to deposit a stolen cheque into one of my accounts. I only use NAB for a loan, not for day-to-day banking - and I've never been to their Blacktown branch where the cheque was deposited. She also asks about a Credit Card I'm applying for.

Thats when we realize someone is fraudulently using my name. We cancel the CC - and she tells me to check my credit file. I request a copy from Veda - and find 2x other CC applications, and a loan with Capital Finance for $33k.

I ring all the places - and so far none have yet been approved - so we cancel all of them. Never found out who did it - but stopped anything bad occurring.

I now religiously pay $50 a year for me and my wife (each) to have a Veda credit alert service. If anyone tries to apply for credit for me or my wife - I get an email that same day.

I find it invaluable - as it has shown me when the banks submit my loan application, and sometimes that they have submitted it twice.

If you have the credit alert service - then you really almost completely neutralize any real credit stealing attempt - whilst protecting your credit history.

Everyone on SS should get it (if they dont already have it).

Thanks laurencei for sharing your experience.

It is very that the bank give you advice to avoid further problem in the future.

I will definitely take your advice as it is very valuable.

To apply for VEDA past reports, do you need to provide previous addresses as well?

I saw the website and too late to contact the phone customer service.

I will call them first thing in the morning. How is their call centre service? Can many things be done through phone contact?

t :(

this is one of the reasons im starting to change as much as i can to estatements
less chance of someone getting hold of something they shouldnt

Hi Wylie,
The other credit rating service we used to check our record was Dun & Bradstreet.

Thanks. So, if I want to pay $50 each per year for hubby and myself to have an immediate email if anybody tries to get a loan in our names, is subscribing to Veda enough (does that cover all applications against our credit file)?

Thanks. So, if I want to pay $50 each per year for hubby and myself to have an immediate email if anybody tries to get a loan in our names, is subscribing to Veda enough (does that cover all applications against our credit file)?

There is more than one agency that will maintain credit records, but realistically Veda is the most commonly used.

A vote for the Veda Alerts, excellent value for money and essential to monitor your credit standing.

Somebody swiped my CC details at Melbourne airport last year, first I found out was a large pending charge for electronic goods, was able to alert the shop and find out the address of the thief. Talked to the QLD police but they were not interested in pursuing it at all. Thieves had faked drivers licence details with my name but didn't have any personal information apart from the CC so lucky in that regard.

My work AMEX got blocked by AMEX just before Christmas, because they suspected someone else was using it.
We had just changed banks/got a new mortgage, and we had 4-5 days where we couldnt access money from our old bank or our new bank.... just before Christmas.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
So, I used my work AMEX to buy Chrissy presents at Kmart.
I went back to the shops the next day.......and the work card got declined. I got a text from them to say there was suspect use on the card, and it had been blocked.
Despite the inconvenience, its good to know that someone (or some computer) is looking out for suspect activity, and hopefully preventing more serious problems.

My work AMEX got blocked by AMEX just before Christmas, because they suspected someone else was using it.
We had just changed banks/got a new mortgage, and we had 4-5 days where we couldnt access money from our old bank or our new bank.... just before Christmas.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
So, I used my work AMEX to buy Chrissy presents at Kmart.
I went back to the shops the next day.......and the work card got declined. I got a text from them to say there was suspect use on the card, and it had been blocked.
Despite the inconvenience, its good to know that someone (or some computer) is looking out for suspect activity, and hopefully preventing more serious problems.

Several years ago, after a trip to the UK, we had something similar - the bank pro-actively contacted us to confirm some suspicious transactions. Turns out the card had been skimmed (likely at our dodgy London hotel :rolleyes:) and someone thought a spending spree was in order.

I was very impressed that the bank was so proactive.

laurencei, you should be able to get the financial institutions to remove the hit(s) on your file with that information.

might take a while, but sending something similar to a "notice of discontinuance" would work.

Yeah - I recently had a loan application rejected due to too much credit applications - so I'm currently in the process of cleaning up the multiple errors (about 6 in totoal). Slowly getting there...

To apply for VEDA past reports, do you need to provide previous addresses as well? I saw the website and too late to contact the phone customer service. I will call them first thing in the morning. How is their call centre service? Can many things be done through phone contact?

All I remember giving was my DOB, name etc - and my DL to prove my ID. Then they sent through the credit file same day.

It will cover you against the main types - and also little things like if you have an a small overdue fine (i.e. phone, video store) - you'll know if someone tries to put a black mark against your name

Several years ago, after a trip to the UK, we had something similar - the bank pro-actively contacted us to confirm some suspicious transactions. Turns out the card had been skimmed (likely at our dodgy London hotel :rolleyes:) and someone thought a spending spree was in order.

I was very impressed that the bank was so proactive.

I've been hit a few times like this and the bank has immediately shut the card down and reissued ... inconvinient but thankful

Also helps that I have a lock on the letterbox, tear up any mail for the bin (and the dog poo goes on top the night before the bin is put out) and I compost bulk personal docs when having a file cleanout - yum!

A vote for the Veda Alerts, excellent value for money and essential to monitor your credit standing.

Somebody swiped my CC details at Melbourne airport last year, first I found out was a large pending charge for electronic goods, was able to alert the shop and find out the address of the thief. Talked to the QLD police but they were not interested in pursuing it at all. Thieves had faked drivers licence details with my name but didn't have any personal information apart from the CC so lucky in that regard.

I don't understand how the police didn't pursue this - looks like a nice easy clear case to prosecute.

Back