Free Aerial photo of your suburb courtesy of NASA

NASA is watching you & your IP.
Download the free App from NASA (a mere 250MB) and view any IP anywhere on the planet at any resolution - see attached view of Sydney city.
attachment.php?attachmentid=563&stc=1

This app could be useful for investigating suburbs - the images seem to be reasonably recent. It's also a good way of visiting places from your PC - see Mount Cook in NZ.

Attachments

• WW SydneyCity.jpg
    WW SydneyCity.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 306
  • WW MtCook2.jpg
    WW MtCook2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 185
Keithj,

That would be great, does anybody download 250mb :eek: ?? My PC would take about 7days to do that :D

cheers

Last edited:
"app" is short for application file. the thing keithj has pointed to is a 250 Megabyte file which will then run on your machine. Hope you've got a fast connection to the internet - it took about 2 hours for me.

Voodoo,

Switch to broadband!

Roughly 50% of internet users in Australia were supposed to be on broadband by Xmas, I wonder how close it got :)

Next year the majority of internet connections in Australia will be broadband - and in two years I reckon it will be over 80%.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
Switch to broadband!

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. MANY people I know have tried to get ADSL or cable Internet access, to no avail. I myself am on a "pair gain" telephone line system, which Telstra apply to many new housing developments due to its lower cost. ADSL is not implementable on pair gain systems "as is". Hence, it is nigh impossible for me to get broadband.

Aceyducey said:
Roughly 50% of internet users in Australia were supposed to be on broadband by Xmas, I wonder how close it got :)

It would be interesting to find out. :)

Aceyducey said:
Next year the majority of internet connections in Australia will be broadband - and in two years I reckon it will be over 80%.

I doubt the latter figure, unless there is a major overhaul to Telstra's copper line system; or wireless covers most parts of all Australian capitals; or satellite becomes a lot cheaper... :(

Talking to a Telstra tech over Christmas, says you can't have ADSL on optic fibre cable. That means that estates about 3-5 years old will never get ADSL.

Overseas is now heading to wireless, Telstra wants us on ADSL because it gets the equipment cheap, as no other developed country wants it.

I can't get it as my exchange is not enabled.

We had had a few drinkys, I think that is what he said :D

How do you get this thing to work once you have downloaded it?
I installed it, and then checked in program files where I have installed it and it is not there?

Are you able to get true colour photos from the satellites?

Has anyone successfully got their own photo?

When you want a photo, how does it work? Do you supply longitudinal/latitudinal co-ordinates, and when the satellite next nears those co-ordinates, it takes a snap??? :)

It gives a reasonable view of my suburb (Flagstaff Hill, SA), but I can't get as close as I'd like (demanding little bugger aren't I?)

I can just make out where the main roads go, but try to get any closer and everything goes blurry. Still looks cool though!

Merovingian, I just typed in my location (Adelaide), and then dragged the view down to the southern suburbs.

Will try to post an image or two.... Hmm...how do you do this?
I click on insert image, but it goes "Enter the text to be formatted
??

Last edited:
Martin Vdb said:
It gives a reasonable view of my suburb (Flagstaff Hill, SA), but I can't get as close as I'd like (demanding little bugger aren't I?)

I can just make out where the main roads go, but try to get any closer and everything goes blurry. Still looks cool though!

Merovingian, I just typed in my location (Adelaide), and then dragged the view down to the southern suburbs.

Will try to post an image or two.... Hmm...how do you do this?
I click on insert image, but it goes "Enter the text to be formatted
??

You'll need to attach the images, like someone did at the top of this thread. I would like to see these southern Adelaide suburbs, because that's where I live!

Could you please post a picture of the surrounding areas to Flinder's University?

Thanks in advance. :eek:

Merovingian said:
I myself am on a "pair gain" telephone line system, which Telstra apply to many new housing developments due to its lower cost. ADSL is not implementable on pair gain systems "as is". Hence, it is nigh impossible for me to get broadband.

Are you in Blackwood Park? I've heard there's copper available now for people who whinge loudly enough.. I have 2 friends in Blackwood Park who recently got ADSL and we're previously on a PGS.

Hi,

I remember reading once that the GPS system is very accurate, however consumer receivers are not allowed to use the full potential and only military units are allowed to receive the available accuracy. This was because the military feared those with questionable intentions may misuse the techonology.

Maybe, this technology is accurate, maybe they won't allow a certain amount of clarity on purpose? Though I wonder, if the settings are in application, what would stop someone writting their own version to tap into the higher resolutions (if possible).

Just a thought
Michael G

On cable here, file took about 6 minutes! No way could I go back to dial-up!
See download stats attachment.

Regards, Fester

Attachments

• File Download.jpg
    File Download.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 111
Trying to attach pic of Adelaide Sthn Subs below.....

File too large (1Mb), pm me your email address if you still want a look Merovingian.

Cheers,

M

If you save it as a .jpg file it is ok.

Resolution isn't all that good zoomed in though.

Attachments

• Adelaide.jpg
    Adelaide.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 97
Also notice that suburbs labelled are about 5km out. Marino = Glenelg!!

I got a jpg that was still 1Mb, down from around 4 it was at a bitmap image.

M

Just wanted to brag a bit and let yah know it only took me a few minutes to download as I Im on Fibre-Optic........her in Tokyo..

Lincoln

Back