Free insulation as Rudd tries to revive economy

Has anyone got any details on this "Free Insulation" that our "fearless leader" has been talking about?

Free insulation as Rudd tries to revive economy

The Rudd government’s latest plan to boost the country’s struggling economy will see millions of Australians benefit from free insulation.

http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2009/02/03/Free_insulation_as_Rudd_tries_to_revive_economy

We have a couple of places that could benefit from this and thought we should "Get On Board" and do our bit for the economy

Dave

Dave

As usual, it's long on spin and short on detail at the moment. Sounds like a re-hash of something Labor had announced last year.

Giving everyone $1000 of insulation is going to fix the economy???

First we had the 'plasmas and pokies' rescue package ..... and now it's the 'pink batts' rescue package! What a joke!!!!!

Cheers
LynnH

Last edited:
In relation to insulation batts not 100% sure of the detail but I think it is free for PPORs but for rental properties it will be an increase on rebate from $500 to $1,000.

Cheers - Gordon

What a joke. This will increase a few jobs in the instillation business, and probably be good for Bunnings, but do they really expect this will have an effect on the economy?

They really need to put some effort into some long term projects such as transport, improving education and health. Development in these areas has long term benefits and creates jobs both immediately and long term.

Better public transport would also serve to reduce carbon emissions as well.

I'll be doing it for sure. I put some insulation in the roof of one of our sheds and was amazed at the difference it made. I've been putting off doing the house, but won't now. Pity there will be a huge waiting list to get it done.
Scott

You're right, Keith.

Lamingtons, you've got two and half years from July 1. But they are allowing people to do it now and claim the rebate after July 1.

For a time-limited period of two and a half years, from 1 July 2009, owner-occupiers without ceiling insulation will be eligible for free product and installation (capped at $1,600) simply by making a phone call.

As an interim arrangement, from today and until 30 June 2009, eligible owner-occupiers who install ceiling insulation in their homes will be able to seek reimbursement (up to $1,600) after the program commences. The Government estimates 2.2 million owner-occupied home will benefit from this program.

Agreed Scott, i wonder if we'll make it in for the deadline of 30 june 2009!

The program actually runs from July 1st 2009 til Dec. 31st 2011. If you get in early you need to get your money beack through reimbursement rather than actually getting the product and iinstallation for free.

For a time-limited period of two and a half years, from 1 July 2009, owner-occupiers without ceiling insulation will be eligible for free product and installation (capped at $1,600) simply by making a phone call.

As an interim arrangement, from today and until 30 June 2009, eligible owner-occupiers who install ceiling insulation in their homes will be able to seek reimbursement (up to $1,600) after the program commences. The Government estimates 2.2 million owner-occupied home will benefit from this program.

I suspect so. If it's your PPOR it might be an idea to get an address on the invoice. I would do my ceiling myself, but it's a skillion roof so the sheets have to come off and it's too high for my extension ladder.
Scott

In WA at least, it is mandatory for all new dwellings to be insulated. Does this mean we can expect the price of building a new home to come down by about $1600?
Food for thought!!:)

What about if you just buy the Batts and install yourself - still eligible?

I drank cold beer under the shade of a mango tree when we had ours done last year during the hottest part of the year.

The guys pulled a sheet of tin and crawled around in itchy dust in 40deg+ temps and only charged $400. (we had purchased our own batts)

Best afternoons entertainment in a long while:D

Dave

it'll be 70 + iinside the roof if its 40 outside.

poor guy, all that for 400 i guess its worth it just do 1 job a day, did he even vacumm all the dust first before he lay the battens ??

hey what happened to the FHBG extension ?

hey what happened to the FHBG extension ?

I was half anticipating an extension on this myself, but perhaps the insulation project has put this to bed now?! :D Or the govt's gone cool on the idea...oh dear! Now I'm really sounding like GeoffW ;):D

If you move during the "free" period, can you claim it twice. Once on the original PPOR and once on the new one?

Back