Front boundary calculation from staircase?

Hey Tim

I presume you are referring to the front boundary requirements of the Residential Design - Small Lot Code. The front setback is actually measured from the lot boundary to the outermost projection of the house or garage, but excludes the exempt building work of the Small Lot Code such as carports, stairs, ramps, eaves and window hoods.

Where the outermost projection is a deck or balcony, the outermost projection is taken to be the balustrade (or in the case of no balustrade the deck or balcony edge).

In the example you gave, the front setback would be measured from the balcony ballustrade, not the front stairs.

Hey Tim

I presume you are referring to the front boundary requirements of the Residential Design - Small Lot Code. The front setback is actually measured from the lot boundary to the outermost projection of the house or garage, but excludes the exempt building work of the Small Lot Code such as carports, stairs, ramps, eaves and window hoods.

Where the outermost projection is a deck or balcony, the outermost projection is taken to be the balustrade (or in the case of no balustrade the deck or balcony edge).

In the example you gave, the front setback would be measured from the balcony ballustrade, not the front stairs.

Awesome great to know. It means when I raise my house I won't need to move it back as well.

Thanks again.

Back