Front Fence - Does it add value... for a rental property

Im trying to decide whether a front fence adds any value to a perspective tenant?

My place is in an area where around 50% of houses have a front fence, and the other 50% dont have one at all.

Ive been told by my father to put up a front fence (those white loopy ones about 1m-1.2m high).

I can understand that from a security for a child perspective is that may be more appealing and from a selling point it will make the place more attractive. However I have no intention of selling and intend to keep it purely as a rental.

There is approximately 40m worth of front fence that I would need to do if I decided to go down that path.

So what would make a place more rental-able? A drop in rent by $10 per week or spending money on putting a fence that may make a house visually more appealling from the outside?

Only do it if it is a safety issue. If the back yard is well fenced, you'll be fine. Fences are great, they keep out stray dogs as well as keeping kids in.

Spoken as someone with no side fence on one house, no back or front fence on the block next door ... basically a fence-free zone :eek:

Ive been told by my father to put up a front fence (those white loopy ones about 1m-1.2m high).

If you mean a "loopy" top pool fence....... don't do it :confused:.

Maybe it's just me, but pool fences as front fences just look "wrong".

If the area has half and half fenced or not, then it is up to you as to whether you need to keep tenants' kids or pets "in" or other animals and people "out".

Would the house look better with a fence? Does it look funny without one?

If you think it looks OK (and lots of newer brick and tile suburbs look great without front fences), then save your money.

If it looks OK without a front fence, and side fences will keep children and pets in the back yard, then maybe install side fences.

In our area, a house without a front fence looks a bit odd, so it all depends on the aesthetics and usefulness, and need. You want it to rent quickly and if lack of a front fence means tenants will move on to the next property that IS fenced, then put one in.

I can't imagine a front fence making any difference to a tenant, and certainly can't imagine them paying extra rent for this, unless the property has a particular problem (eg corner block on a busy street, so people constantly walking across it etc). Backyard being securely fenced - yes I think that would make a difference especially if you allow pets.

And even if the front fence did matter to some tenants I'm sure there are other things you could do with that money that would be much more likely to increase your rent potential, like air con, ceiling fans, dishwasher, alarm system, security doors, etc.

nek

In our subdivision which is about 13 years old there are no front fences but in another area which actually fronts a major road there are front fences and the houses are much older.

These front fences add to the street scape, do you have a council cement path out the front of your house?

BTW- Ask your Dad why you need to put a fence out the front of your place?

Regards
Sheryn

Yea there is a cement path out the front on the council area.

My dad wants a front fence because he feels it looks better and will attract tenants.

Does anyone know the average cost per meter for a simple white metal fence? Ive been told its about $120 per metre. Seems rather pricey to me.

I assume it's for your granny flat. I wouldn't worry about it and focus more on making the backyard completely secure. The fact that it is a 2 bedder will make it less likely you'll get a family.

I assume it's for your granny flat. I wouldn't worry about it and focus more on making the backyard completely secure. The fact that it is a 2 bedder will make it less likely you'll get a family.

Its actually for the existing house. Its got a pretty big front yard (waste of space in my opinion), but my dad reckons fencing the front off allows kids to play in the front yard etc etc.

Im trying to decide whether a front fence adds any value to a perspective tenant?

This is pretty much exactly what we have in one of our houses.

Tenant applied to sign up for 2 years. He was a dual qualified plumber and carpenter.

He said "I like your front yard for my dog, but your existing brick fence (which was knee high) is too low."

I said "I won't stop you putting up something more substantial."

He moved in, and within two months had paid for and built a ;

• nice fence, white loopy one 1.2m above the existing brick. Looks OK.
  • magnificent front verandah
  • huge outdoor spa
  • redid all the plumbing including the gutters and soak wells

Sometimes you fall on your feet.

Back