Fuel Saving Devices

manufacturers make cars run rich from factory to cater for the differences in parts. If they tune all cars to the best performance some engines will have no problems, but some will fail due to manufacturing imperfections. Nobody wants to see their product returned obviously, so first of all they make sure that your car will pass the warranty period so they detune the engines on purpose and only then worry about fuel efficiency.

those chip mods that exist for many cars introduce more agressive timing, and leaner fuel mixture, which results in more power/less fuel consumption.

cold intake adds more power because cold air is denser, so the mixture becomes leaner.

essentially motor is a big pump which is designed to pump air through

as with any pump, the bigger inlet and outlet are, the more efficient it is

that's why 3" exhaust and intake give you power gains(although mostly at the top end of rev range, and mostly in turbocharged cars)

now that magnet stuff is total crap, because such device is very low cost and if it was truly working manufacturers would introduce it in their cars.

While researching fuel saving and performance products, we also discovered some very special air filters called K&N Filters. Like Hiclone they are simple to install (it literally takes only a few seconds) and they have been thoroughly tested under scientific conditions.

This paragraph on their website made me laugh. I wonder how long it took them to find out about K&N filters...

Why did it make you laugh?
forty years of race wins,
every car accessories store,
bunnings,
playboy ads and less conspicuous magz,
formula 1 2 3 4 ford vee,
every motorcycle store.

such a secret to discover
its funny when the research(?) is of this quality

So these filters actually work? Or do you lump them with the Hiclone?

Why was it a secret? Where did that come from?

You lost me Bob.

I still don't see the funny side of it - perhaps you have to be a motoring guy to understand it.

Been reading some pretty impressive figures about the fuel savings obtained by fitting the Hiclone (as seen on TV) to the air intake of a car.

Here it is.

Whilst searching I found any number of products that will greatly influence the fuel economy. Many seemed to be based on magnets on the fuel line that realign the fuel molecules and make the fuel more efficient.

I think the Hiclone seems pretty popular plus with a money back warranty it looks worth a try. Apparently 10 - 15%+ fuel savings is expected. At today's prices the $160 purchase price will soon be recovered.

Has anyone here any experience with the Hiclone or any of the other products?

Thanks team,

Give it the flick.
Its in the same catagory as Derivex.
I note there are no Royal autoclubs who have done any tresting nor is the testing protocol described.
Also are there up to 15% of members on this forum called ggumpshots........yes is the correct answer
The claims are really vague and who are these people with personal testimonials?

So these filters actually work? Or do you lump them with the Hiclone?

Why was it a secret? Where did that come from?

You lost me Bob.

I still don't see the funny side of it - perhaps you have to be a motoring guy to understand it.

they do work
the reason it made me laugh is because K&N is very well known company producing all sorts of filters for different applications. It is known by anyone who is involved with cars. When the guys claim that they actually did a research to find out about K&N one starts wondering whether they actually have enough knowledge to develop (and more importantly test) such product as they claim they have.

I cant see how the hi clone will work on modern injected cars as the computer tell the injectors how much fuel to put in relivant to the conditions (throttle position, engine and air temps) and putting a device in the air intake just before the trottle body (which has a big flap to control air flow) is going to disrupt any swirling effect made by the hi clone. Magnets - no. cold air intakes / big exhuast- both may effect new car warranties, intake yes if you like racing ,in which case fuel effiecancy doesn't worry you, otherwise they still get the air into the air cleaner from the same place the factory designed its air intake to get air from( near the radiator). exhaust these require back pressure to achieve a scavanging effect making the engine run better, take the back pressure away engine will be less efficient, extactors work as the pipes are roughly the same diameter as factory ones but flow better, again I don't think they provide any noticable improvements unless you like giving your engine a bit of a rev (not worried about fuel efficiency). The way to save money on fuel is to watch how you drive. My 2 cents (half my pay:D )

I read somewhere that orinically it's the cars WITH the infamous polarizer that are commanding higher resale prices :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi All

That's Rarity not an Endorsement.

Like Bank Notes with flaws or rare Signatures the same goes for Classic Sports Cars that were unpopular in thier time and hence rare now.

Two come to mind:

Alfa Romeo Spider used to have a "duck tail" end option which most hated, so the "crop tail" was all the rage. Duck Tails are now more collectable.

Ferrari Dino were orinally just called Dino after the Enzo ( the originator) son. Many owners changed over to a Ferrari Badge in time and now original untouched Dino are very desirable.

Peter 14.7

manufacturers make cars run rich from factory to cater for the differences in parts. If they tune all cars to the best performance some engines will have no problems, but some will fail due to manufacturing imperfections. Nobody wants to see their product returned obviously, so first of all they make sure that your car will pass the warranty period so they detune the engines on purpose and only then worry about fuel efficiency.

Great Post Stannik.

Today I had a very example of manufacturer engine comment.

Getting a service and tow bar changed over on my 1998 Subaru the mechanic were all over a Merc 190 E (older C Class) which was up on the hoists getting new engine.

I asked the problem? ( merc's dont usually die unless poor maintenance).

The Elderly Owner of a probably 15 year old car with low milage had loaned it to his 21 year old Grandson:eek:

In one week G Son had totalled the engine.:rolleyes:

now that magnet stuff is total crap, because such device is very low cost and if it was truly working manufacturers would introduce it in their cars.

And I agree that if a device as cheap as $170 retail (so $30wholsale to BMW) gave you even a 1% improvement, they buy the rights and would fit it.

$BN get spent each year on research so that would be nothing.

I can add on our Subaru Imprezza 2.0 litre boxer flat four cylinder we did the maths on hi-octane fuel and yes it was worth paying 10 cents more for Optimax to get 10% greater milage.

As a bonus it burns cleaner and todays service by the aformentioned Merc Mechanic said after a 135,000km service the Subaru was in great nick.

Peter 14.7

Dont know the action but he casued a valve to come lose and shoot down into the piston, From then on the engine self destructed according to Mechanic.

I assume he simply run it to fast, too long, possibly with no coolant or oil.

Aged 20 I stuffed my Datsun 180b alloy head when I let it run out of water.

Ahhh Youth:rolleyes:

Peter 14.7

Dont know the action but he casued a valve to come lose and shoot down into the piston, From then on the engine self destructed according to Mechanic.

I assume he simply run it to fast, too long, possibly with no coolant or oil.

Aged 20 I stuffed my Datsun 180b alloy head when I let it run out of water.

Ahhh Youth:rolleyes:

Peter 14.7

Hehe i did the same to my first car - holden camira :D
only lasted me 9 months
good thing i only paid 500 for it :)
if he caused the valve to shoot through he must've been revving it too high and too long.

Ah! The Datsun 180. A 160 with 20 more faults LOL

Most Likely.LOL

But in my 180B's defence I lived two years in Bourke ( as is "Back of Bourke"). Datsun was driven on seriously rough gravel tracks and often made a 13hour straight drive to home in Victoria. It use to go and go and go. Had I not been young and stupid it would have been ok. :rolleyes:

In fact I remember having the money to buy better but the mechanic accross the road advised my dad " let him by a bomb as that is what any car will be when he is finished with it".

Conversly, Girlfirend and now wife Mrs 14.7 had a Toyata Corona 1973.

That car is still going and used by her father as his "town car". Recently a new engine for $500 after being stolen and driven flat out to Melbourne. Who steals a 73 Corona to joy ride?!?!. Thus value of car $501:D

But do you think I get father in law ( old mechanic who thinks all new cars are crap) to sell up???

Compared to my Alfa Romeo 147, the 180b was Lexus quality:D but that is another story.

Maybee we should have thread on the bombiest car your ever owned. Reverse Doo Dads?

Peter 14.7

hehe
probably would be my cortina :)
gearstick was constantly falling out, brake booster was shot, so i had to put a bolt in a vacuum tube, speedo cable missing, shocks shot, gearbox in the end would only work in second, the rest of the gears were dead (i had to change the gearbox cuz second started failing as well), valves were very noisy, you could hear the car from miles away.

Back