Garage Seamless Floor?

Hi guys,

The garage floor of my IP is bare concrete. Im thinking of adding a seamless floor to it, in order to tidy it up a bit. Like in the pic :

seamless-flooring5.jpg

Its pretty expensive though - $1400 for a single car size. But it does look good...

From your experience, is it worth the investment? Will it add much equity to the place?

Agree with Alan in that it's not generally a value-add product but it certainly looks great. My brother had it done in his DLUG and it's much nicer aesthetically. He always said he did it for looks, though, and was realistic about this. The best value-add feature he's done on his renovated house was replacing tiles with timber floors.

In the past we have used paving paint to make a garage floor a bit more attractive.
Yes, it does wear but improves the look markedly and it is easy to put on another coat.
Marg

bondcrete make a nice solvent based paint that does a nice job, and the paint doesnt lift under hit tyres.

Not as sexy as that piccie..............but my garage floors dont need to look like a private hospital ward :)

ta
rolf

You can polish the concrete or alternatively, Bunnings sell a paint product used for garage floors.

I had asked for a concrete polisher (?) of potentially doing a front walk-way outside and said it would be far too slippery being exposed to the weather, especially when it rains. Might not be as much of an issue inside a garage admittedly. Not cheap either.

Is tiling an option? I figure they do it in car showrooms so they must be able to hold the weight of cars ok. I'd quite like to do that.

Hmm I guess if its not going to add much equity, the money is better spent doing some landscaping :eek:

Ahhhhhhh possibly, but who told you that landscaping was a value-add? :confused:

It can be. But for an IP all the landscaping can die if you get a tenant that is not interested in gardening / watering.

Most value-adding stuff comes from: kitchens, bathrooms, number of bedrooms (i.e. add one to a 2brm to make it 3brm), decks, floor coverings, paint etc.

Cheers, Alan

On second thoughts, why wouldnt a garage floor add much value?

We all agree it looks good... And nowadays, most people use the garage as the main entrance, so wouldnt a seamless floor be a part of the "wow factor"? And be an extra factor in increasing the value of the house?

Prop, the backyard has areas where there is no grass growing - just dark dirt... so when people walk around there, it tends to bring mud into the house.... so I was thinking of adding slabs, mulch, pavers to try and make it neater and cleaner...

We all agree it looks good... And nowadays, most people use the garage as the main entrance, so wouldnt a seamless floor be a part of the "wow factor"? And be an extra factor in increasing the value of the house?

I think it would add value, not so much as to increase the overall price of your property, but it would be appealing to would be renters or purchasers more then if your property did not have it. It therefore, which could be argued, reach closer to your asking price for purchaser's.
It may also warrant a more rentable demand, decreasing vacancies.

Thus increasing value by way of desirability, the same reason why you would want it in your own garage!

--- I should point out, that I am only getting at that you may receive your $1400 back throughout time because of these reasons. The difference would be minimal.

My 2c!

Daniel

You can polish the concrete or alternatively, Bunnings sell a paint product used for garage floors.

to have a nice polished concrete floor you need to use 32MPA concrete and not have it vibrated........

polishing old concrete thats usually 20MPA strength may look pretty average in my opinion...they are usually all vibrated when pouring which drops stone lower....and its the stone that makes or breaks a lovely posished concrete floor

do it properly, use 32 MPA, non vibrated...

if

I reckon it would only be significant if, say, you had a double garage with internal access to the house and it could be used as an overflow living space - like a rumpus/games room. But it's a stretch.

Brother used to do the work,
Resinex or Resinflex,
something like that...
Helped him do a Fashion store in Chapel street Gloss Green Everything in it, one day in, out,

worked in food warehouse, 500 000 feet+ of the stuff and a foot up the walls to seal the concrete to the wallboard for washable
ran 45 forklift trucks, 100 stock pickers, over it 24/7 (minus Aus, ANZAC day, worked xmas newyears, lot of troopies in management and staff)
after 3 years needed a small recoat over the despatch lanes only,

the stuff is tough,

Back