Gas HWS too hot

I had a new Rheem Stellar gas HWS put in, the tenants report that it's too hot (not the usual complaint I'll grant you!) but I've confirmed it - the water is steaming out of the tap. There's a little dial on the unit that supposedly scales it from 35C to 65C, but it has no effect. The installer is unwilling to revisit and is trying to pass the buck back to manufacturer's warranty.

My question is - is it possible for these gas hot water systems to be installed incorrectly in such a way that the thermostat dial inside them has no effect? Or are they indeed an idiot-proof install (making it in fact a warranty job)?

Not sure about the technical stuff but our renovation could not be passed until the water was (from memory) 50 degree maximum. We had a tempering valve installed. For safety I would recommend this.

Already on it, chilliblue, thanks - was just looking for unbiased info lest it turns into a buck passing exercise.

Cheers wylie, tempering valves are usually for pipes going to bathrooms so the HWS still delivers full temp to kitchens. Handy in some situations but would prefer to get the HWS fixed instead.

No problems.....

Our tempering valve is fitted before any outlets, so we don't scald ourselves in the kitchen. We don't get really hot water for washing up either, but I don't mind that. If I need really hot water for greasy stuff, I boil a jug, but that is pretty rare.

My parents house had the tempering valve set for the bathroom, and their kitchen tap was dangerously hot.

Going by the fact that the valve had to be fitted before council would approve our renovation, I wonder if it is best to make sure that the valve is fitted so that no scalding can happen in the kitchen either.

Does anybody know? I'm curious now.

Tempering valves are a requirement in QLD, not sure about other states so it may be that the plumber neglected to install one when replacing the HWS

It has been my understanding that tempering valves have been a requirement in Qld for some time. Interesting, did the plumber not have to check if one is in the system, after installing a new hot water unit? BTW, in Qld, its only husbands that would know, if no tempering valve was connected to the kitchen taps ..... grin

Back