Gen Y using super for property deposit?

just on all this negative gearing i always thought id make my IP's (when i get them) CF+ but the reality is unless u get the right place at the right time u cant... meaning i need... wait... have to negative gear because i cant afford to pay more off to get it to CF+ and since theres the negative gearing option that gives me a little tax break its better to do that than not have anything at all.
btw im well under the 80k before negative gearing

its amazing how much my mindset and knowledge has changed in 2 months of being on these forums

A lot of people I speak to who are not informed assume that buying a house you need to negatively gear. I've always said if you can avoid it that's best, it means you're making money

Negative gearing (and this is just my reading, I'm unqualified to have an opinion :D) is that negative gearing failed to achieve what they thought it would, which was to increase supply. I don't think it's evil, but I think they should be bolstering depreciation and removing ongoing negative gearing if that was the aim. Obviously it'd need a phased approach to avoid panic selling

Positive cashflow helps.

But you can't lose sight of the fact that the big rewards come from a property going up 2-3x in 4-5 years on 80% leverage. I mean come on, how much are you going to make from rent even if you positively gear? You could make 10x from capital growth in 4 years if you leverage enough. With some currency help that's 20x.

Of course, the higher the upside payoff, the greater the losses if it goes the other way. Like most things.

Back