generational housing problem

My holding costs are ~1.2% and falling. I don't need anything like 7-10% growth to show a profit. However I fully expect my property will perform better than 7% long term :)

If it doesn't, and there's a huge sustained bust and credit crunch, well bad on me, I'm a grown up and know what I'm getting myself into. Investing is about knowing and managing the risks, no such thing as guarantees and noone to blame but ourselves. IMHO not investing is way riskier than doing so.

That's a great post Twitch.

I think thats the way a lot think here. We are all grown up, and the only guaranteed thing is that not investing is a guaranteed way to lose.

See ya's.

Even if I lose everything and go bankrupt, I'll still be richer in the long run than people who don't invest. Why? Because I still have the savings habits and knowledge that got me this far. Even if I had to start back at zero I'll build it back up faster.
Alex

Really? This poll:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33605

Says that 79.1% of people on this forum think that property will "probably" or "definately" double in 10 years.

What exactly are you trying to prove??

That poll does not say that EVERYONE expects ALL Property to double EVERY 10 years - that poll asked if YOU expect YOUR property to double by 2014-2017 (read the specific poll question posed by twobobsworth).

32% voted definitly
47% voted probably
15% voted unlikely
6% voted no way

So 68% are at least slighty unsure if their propertys will double in the next 10 years - they agree with you!!

Really? This poll:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33605

Says that 79.1% of people on this forum think that property will "probably" or "definately" double in 10 years.

Have a try reading through the comments! This is the thread I was referring to, and here's my comment, with the relevant part in bold, which echos what I just said:
Closer to 2017 end, but yup I reckon so (well the IP's I have at the moment anyway, future ones who knows yet).

Here are some other quotes from within the thread I quickly grabbed out:

that this is un-knowable

Seriously, the notion is too simplistic to commit heavily to. True, it is always best to own your PPOR if you can but that was not the question.

Definately - but only for some properties -

Buy smart where the population moves and based on history, hard to see market not doubling in next 10 years

If you actually read through, a lot of the comments are quite reserved, and people who have (I assume) voted for the 'definitely/probbaly' options qualify the vote with their reasoning.

Although there was this comment from mbl:

There is absolutley no way you are going to see a doubling in prices. More like a halving in prices.
I think you two know each other?

What am I trying to prove?

I have had 2 people say that "nobody says property doubles in 10 years". In order to prove "nobody" is wrong, all I have to do is provide a single case. Eg if someone said "there are no unicorns" and I brought in a unicorn that would disprove that statement. "There are not MANY unicorns" is still valid.

In that link there were many cases of people saying they believed in the doubling in 10 years as some kind of golden historical rule. When questioned for evidence I provided a direct link to a post providing evidence but was told not to link to my own posts (even though it was someone else's post)

There were some other people saying that the rule is untrue, but that doesn't change the fact that "nobody says..." is UNTRUE.

Here is one by Letiha: "history shows that property doubles 7-10 years"

There are pages and pages of quotes listed on GHPC forum by Foundation today, I can't be bothered reposting it.

Again, beacuse you are taking our responses to mean we believe EVERY PROPERTY will double in 10yrs. The question specifically asked:

Given the current prices around the country do you still expect your property to double in value by 2014-2017?

To this, I answered DEFINITELY. I can't speak for other members, but when asked this specific question about my properties, yes I DEFINITELY believe they will have doubled (& then some) by 2017.

I was NOT referring to EVERY property in Australia, which is what you seem to think people meant in this thread. That was not the question.

Oh my. I have just read this whole thread. And this link : http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.com/index.php?showtopic=20868

The price of property to fall? This is laughable. The reason that the price of property has grown is becuase it all comes down to demand and supply.

My my how quickly have people forgotten. How many needed to share a bedroom back in the day? How about a family of four or five sharing the same bathroom? It was managable back then, so why shouldn't it be now?? Were credit cards available to every Harry and Sally back in the day?

I remember when I was a young child, I went to wedding invitied by my parents friends and relatives. Fast forward a few months later and we would go visiting. The newly weds had either stayed with their parents or moved in with the inlaws. In 4 years they managed to save a VERY reasonable deposit which enabled then to buy a nice house and the loan to be paid back easily. PEW people would do such a thing now.

I'm 26, I study full time, I work full time and i'm currently building my PPOR. I have a few friends who bought their first homes while also studying full time and working full time. There are a number of students who are renting. They want to play house, have parties and have boys stay over. :rolleyes:

I was taught NEVER to buy a car through finance or through a loan. I was young, and 18 and I wanted a car. My parents forbade me to take out a loan. When I did get my first car, they showed me that it was NOT an asset. As soon as I drove my car out of the dealer why wheels were worth a WHOLE lot less as my parents tought me before.

This anticipation of a housing crash may happen but highly unlikely. Is the population going to decrease for this to happen? So people are not going to reproduce? Skilled immigrants to be refused visas? Australia to ban the incusion of regugees? GET REAL. People will reproduce, skilled immigrants will come here and we will offer support to refugees. 97,500 places for skilled migrants have been allocated for 2007-2008. In yesterdays paper I read that 13,000 people will be offered refugee status here.
It's all about SUPPLY and DEMAND.
Once upon a time people got married in their early twenties and there were two incomes going towards the mortgage. It was paid off quicker. All those years back, 2 year old childern were not wearing baby nike sneakers, or wearing baby country road. THAT IS A FACT.
Now a days people are marrying later, into their thirties. Thats when they buy houses. Or people want to buy a house on a SINGLE income. It wasn't done like that before. Oh and lets not forget the divorce rate compared to before. Obviously when a couple divorces there is a need to house an extra person in society.

My parents own many homes including a beach house as well as Ip's outright. If they can do it anyone can. Some facts as to how they got there:

They did not go on a holiday for 7 years after buying their first PPOR and obviously had a loan to pay.
We wore hand me downs incuding toys. My bike had to last me a long time. My parents wern't going to buy me one every two years.
Both my parents worked.
My dad was offered overtime and took it everytime. Something he still does today.
When my dad bought a new car. He could afford the BMW X5 cash. Instead he got a Nissan X Trail.
My parents were paying more than 18% interest for their current PPOR back in the day (only coz they didn't sell their PPOR at the time). Times were tight but we got through. I was never allowed a pair of nikeys until my parents had just about paid off the loan. With their work ethic it didn't take long.
My parents NEVER lived beyond their means and my parents taught me that if you can't afford to buy things in cash, well then you simply can't afford it (with property being the exception of course).

My parents have taken me to visit their home country. It was a culture shock to me to see 3 generations living in the same house. People there have NO choice. They can't afford to buy and the cost of housing is high. We have it pretty good compared to that. My parents bought a house there. In 1985 it cost them 60k AUD. Yes it has increased the problem is that the MONTHLY wage there is 500 euro and your lucky if you actually get paid. Work opportunities are limited. THAT IS REALITY. I have reaslised that i am lucky that my parents had a dream and that was to come here to have a better life. They didn't throw it away. They busted their guts and said that their children will have everything they didn't have and more.

The reality is that there will always be rich people and poor people. Like my father says in this country as long as you have the drive to work you will always have an opportunity to have whatever you want. People become greedy and buy things that they cant afford. One of my mates took out a loan for a 1 month USA holiday. People like that will continue to exist. There will always be people who want doodads but can't afford them.
You will also have people otherwise known as "old money". These people will be set and hey most parents want the best for their children. Then these children will likewise want the best for their children and invest for their future.

And I wonder why the family in a newspaper article that I read even went out and bought a house and land package in the outer subs when they already had two young children and another who just came along. The wife wasn't working. He had just lost his job. They admitted to living on the credit card. Oh and they NEEDED two cars worth 50k right? :rolleyes:

What am I trying to prove?

I have had 2 people say that "nobody says property doubles in 10 years". In order to prove "nobody" is wrong, all I have to do is provide a single case. Eg if someone said "there are no unicorns" and I brought in a unicorn that would disprove that statement. "There are not MANY unicorns" is still valid.

Here is one by Letiha: "history shows that property doubles 7-10 years"
Yeah & if John Howard says "Interest rates will be lower under Liberal than Labor", who's to say he is wrong? You can't prove it but if you want to believe it, then you will.

You need to quote Letiha in context... can't just throw it in yourself.
Let's just agree to disagree, although we are really agreeing:D & move on?
Steve

Hi minx, just a few comments on your post

Oh my. I have just read this whole thread. And this link : http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.com/index.php?showtopic=20868

The price of property to fall? This is laughable. The reason that the price of property has grown is becuase it all comes down to demand and supply.
Immigration numbers do sound high, but when you look at the historic data, net population growth has dropped from 2% pa to 1%pa. People who tend to buy first homes around the 20-30 age group have dropped to an average of.5% pa, some year it is negative growth. Demand is strong now because of lots of jobs and easy access to credit. This isn't a given....
I remember when I was a young child, I went to wedding invitied by my parents friends and relatives. Fast forward a few months later and we would go visiting. The newly weds had either stayed with their parents or moved in with the inlaws. In 4 years they managed to save a VERY reasonable deposit which enabled then to buy a nice house and the loan to be paid back easily. PEW people would do such a thing now.
I know plenty of people doing this, but in some cases their savings aren't keeping up with price growth, and in other cases they are convinced by the rhetoric that they must buy now or be priced out of the market forever.

This anticipation of a housing crash may happen but highly unlikely. Is the population going to decrease for this to happen? So people are not going to reproduce? Skilled immigrants to be refused visas? Australia to ban the incusion of regugees? GET REAL. People will reproduce, skilled immigrants will come here and we will offer support to refugees. 97,500 places for skilled migrants have been allocated for 2007-2008. In yesterdays paper I read that 13,000 people will be offered refugee status here.
It's all about SUPPLY and DEMAND.
As I said earlier, net population increase isn't great, we are losing quite a few skilled people at the same time we are gaining, plus the population is aging. I don't believe a crash will occur either, more West Sydney scenarios may occur, but I'm sure on the whole prices will keep up with inflation. For those who see a crash coming, I think they are basing it on the fact that we will hit a debt limit. Debt has been increasing at 15% pa to provide an increase in house prices around the 7% mark. Add it up and it can't keep going up forever. This credit growth also fuels the economy, so a stalling of credit could see a slump, less jobs, more on unemployment and less skilled immigrants attracted to live here. That is one theory, it seems worse case to me, I'm sure the central banks will use their magic powers to stop it happening. Risks are growing though.

Once upon a time people got married in their early twenties and there were two incomes going towards the mortgage. It was paid off quicker. All those years back, 2 year old childern were not wearing baby nike sneakers, or wearing baby country road. THAT IS A FACT.
This comparison is problematic. Once upon a time we had double digit inflation and wages to match. This meant the size of a loan was eroded very quickly as wages and prices increased around it. This allowed people to get a loan under control very quickly, even int he case of 17% interest rates. Low inflation now doesn't provide that same benefit, and as a consequence people are getting into trouble, although I'm sure unrealistic expectations do play a part in some instances.....

Interestingly, looking at median house prices and inflation data, if you allow for inflation, the median house price took 30 years to double.

Not conclusive by any means....

Interestingly, looking at median house prices and inflation data, if you allow for inflation, the median house price took 30 years to double.

Not conclusive by any means....

Inflation is your friend when you have debt against the property, because inflation makes the real value of the debt go down as well. Using real returns to evaluate property masks the advantages of leverage.
Alex

Inflation is your friend when you have debt against the property, because inflation makes the real value of the debt go down as well.

Hmm, yes. That was my point. In the past we had high inflation, now we have low inflation. Comparing habits of mortgage holders in between the two is problematic, just as comparing trends of capital growth is also.....

OK... first up, an apology to the forum. My last few posts were to stir people. This isn't consistent with enlighted self-interest, so I'll stop. It's my fault I was sucked into the vacuum of negativity. Between all the personal attacks, name calling and ALL CAPS TEXT!!! there is a sprinkling of good discussion going on here, so it would be good to see that continue.

I had a quick browse of GHPC. In general, some interesting things going on but there are so many pages of anger, flaming and negativity to wade through to find it. It's no wonder a few users from there on here instantly resorted to 'forum violence' once they came over, just like a child from a family of domestic violence throwing punches in the otherwise peaceful playground.

Good discussion is what Somersoft is all about (I'm finding what HiredGoon has to say very interesting) but please, check in your weapons at the door.

I've registered and awaiting approval on GHPC. I've drafted a positive, constructive post with solutions in response to Firefly/Gcs15's question here http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.com/index.php?showtopic=21931.

I believe Gcs15 had originally posted it here but removed it because he thought it was trolling. I thought it was a good question and would receive lots of helpful ideas here, so please repost if you like.

An interesting factoid - In the Domesday book the area of Brighton was estimated at 12 pounds. So yes, the did have pounds back then and no, it hasn't grown 7.2% since then, as HG has pointed out (reminds me a Dr Evil - one billion gazilion dollars).

Last edited:
I had a quick browse of GHPC. In general, some interesting things going on but there are so many pages of anger, flaming and negativity to wade through to find it. It's no wonder the few users from there on here instantly resorted to 'forum violence' once they came over, just like a child from a family of domestic violence throwing punches in the otherwise peaceful playground.

Would you like to point to the post where I did this?

What am I trying to prove?"
There are pages and pages of quotes listed on GHPC forum by Foundation today, I can't be bothered reposting it.
HG,why not you posted every other bit of crap you can find,for a person
with so much free time on your hands it makes me wonder who you are
but i know you come in this site every time the media starts to play
games with investors in property,or the equities markets,why not ask
yourself the simple question,why do you bother but i don't care 1%
what you think,just start to be optimistic and your mindset will change..
willair..

Back