Getting out of Body Corporate ...

I have an IP townhouse unit in a block of 3. Its the street facing unit and it has its own driveway (there is a separate driveway to the 2 units in the rear to the side of my unit). There is a body corporate looking after the common property.

I have had it for about a year and it hasn't occurred to me until now (ok you can call me "slow of mind" .. :D), but I don't really see any need for my unit to be part of the body corporate since I don't use the driveway at all.

So I was thinking of somehow removing myself from the body corporate to save costs.

How do I go about doing this ?
Do I engage a lawyer ?
Is it even possible ?

Thanks !

you will need to get together with the other owners and see if you can get the development re-assessed as torrens title, which, with townhouses, is not common. It can sometimes happen with dual occupancy if there is enough land but units are usually always strata titled. Check with your Council to see if they would support the change.

As a first step, maybe contact the town planning section of the local council and see if what you are think of is feasible.

If so, then you will need the consent of the other owners. This may be hard to obtain as presumably you contribute to the upkeep of the common property. Just because you use a separate driveway does not mean that it is on your title. It may well be that both driveways comprise the common property. Check your plans if you have them - they should show your lot and also the common property. If there is external lighting on the driveways it will be linked into a meter for the body corporate and difficult to separate.
Marg

Thanks for reply ... guess its more complicated than I thought.
I'll have a look at the plans that I have tonight.

If only life were a little simpler and logical .. :)

You would have to get a new title drawn up and surveyed for your property, as well as you neighbours' strata title (which would now have only 2 units). You'd have to fund the legal costs for both titles. This is a significant expense - you should look at whether its worth it or not. Of course your neighbours will also have to agree.. Which they may not!

Back