Getting shares changed over to drop sons from ownership

Don't forget marriage is only half the story. Most people don't marry these days and just enter, sometimes unintentionally, defacto relationships.

Some also have mistresses and/or menstresses which may also qualify as a defacto even though someone is married. Under the NSW Succession Act it takes this into account. So if you are separated but not legally divorced, or you have a lover on the side then take care.

For Exhibit A - See Richard Pratt :)

No different from people who buy off the plan because the display home is really shiny.

A property that someone paid too much for, will eventually increase in value. People that bought IP's on the GC in the 80's and held on have properties worth quite a bit more than they paid back then today. In divorce, both parties are lucky if they come out the other end with more than the clothes on their back.

by doing SOME objective assessment (living with that person for a while, putting yourselves into certain situations, assessing how they react to things) I believe one has a better chance of beating the odds.

I did that. After three and a half years, she went camping one weekend, came home and dumped me and that was the end of that chapter. Came right out of nowhere. I'd give you her 'reason' but quite frankly, it's still really embarrassing. Living with your gf/bf first guarantees nothing.

At least with a property, I could accept that one day it would be worth more than what I paid.

I didn't say it was a guarantee. However it is more likely than not.

And a divorce is more likely than not? I disagree, or at least there are ways to do it so that the odds are more favourable. It's not a random occurrence, though of course there are random elements. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and when it happens to someone, the probabilities don't mean much. However, I think it's worth the risk.

And a divorce is more likely than not?

60% of marriages today will end in divorce, so yes it is.

I disagree, or at least there are ways to do it so that the odds are more favourable.

This is also true.

It's not a random occurrence, though of course there are random elements. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, and when it happens to someone, the probabilities don't mean much. However, I think it's worth the risk.

Well Alex, I certainly hope that you find (or have found, as the case may be) a lovely young woman (or man) and that you spend a long and happy life together.

Back