GF Build - Cost to upgrade mains cable + install power pole

Hi All,

I'm two-thirds into a granny flat build in Western Sydney, and received a bit of a shock today when the builder quoted me an additional $4170 for a necessary electrical upgrade. I just wanted to confirm if this amount is reasonable. I'm told the following works need to be done -

- upgrade mains cables from street pole to fuse box (I'm told that the existing cables carry only 32A, and that the demand for main house and GF is 55A)
- upgrade earth
- installation of a service pole in front of house due to existing cables crossing next door boundary (I'm told that the new cables cannot cross any other boundary apart from foot paths)

It does sound like a fair amount of work is involved, particularly the installation of the power pole. However, I've no idea what these things would cost. Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

Pole is pricey (would be over $1k), that's where your cost would be.

I paid $1800 for:
- New meter and box
- Upgrade to 100A
- Other connections.

The next cheapest quotes were between $2-3k.

Use Dave Fenech, his companys ethics blew me away, and he was cheapest by far.

http://www.davefenechelectrical.com.au/

No need to mention me, he wouldn't know who I am.

Last edited:
I have used Budget Power Poles in the past.

They did a relocation of meters and main switches for 9 units plus the common areas from the internal stairwell of the block to an outside location and they were the cheapest by a country mile.

They are located in Hamondville Sydney

Cheers

I appreciate the responses.

I am currently waiting on a second quote from Dave Fenech - mind you, they're snowed under and couldn't give me a committment on when they could do the quote. Probably not until next week at best. Tempted to just pay the 4K and get things moving - it might mean I get a tenant in there that little bit sooner. Plus from your responses, it seems that the original quote is not far from the money for the work involved.

Speaking to the sparkie, he said that only about 2 out of 50 granny flats that he has worked on required a private service pole for the electrical upgrade. Un-lucky me. :(

Cheers.

Once the electrician opens the cover, he will tell you that main to front house does not have safety switches and by law you need to put safety switches when you're renting out...etc doing me head some of the electrician knowing you don't know your amps

For mine I had one quote which involved a pole, but a cheaper quote for going underground. If the trench is covered by concrete it doesn't need to be too deep.

However, rereading your initial post- mine involved crossing 100m and a driveway but not a boundary.

Once the electrician opens the cover, he will tell you that main to front house does not have safety switches and by law you need to put safety switches when you're renting out...etc doing me head some of the electrician knowing you don't know your amps

I was doing some DIY with an electric plane a couple of days ago. I noticed the power cord was close to the work area so moved it, but did not realise that it had already been damaged and I ended up grabbing exposed 240 VAC wire. Despite about 30m of extension lead going to the back of the garage, which gets it's power from the box at the front of the property, the RCD tripped and all I ended up with was a nasty whack and sore arm.

Install an RCD regardless of whether it's rented.

I then went out and bought a new plane (every cloud has a silver lining) and an extension lead with built-in RCD, and a double-adaptor RCD that anything can plug into: they are less than $30 now.

(As my witty son remarked, he can make toast in the bath safely now.)

Back