Gift of half mill @ 3%

What would you do if someone gave you a gift of 500k and you repay them back @3%? Assume they give to you because the interest in their country sucks.

How would you do this for property investment?

Edit: hypothetical btw :) wish it happened tho

Last edited:
What would you do if someone gave you a gift of 500k and you repay them back @3%?

It would be a loan not a gift then.

I would purchase an IP or 2 with 50/50 tenants in common over a long term (min 10 year) hold... they pocket the surplus rental cash flow and CG and I'd pocket the remaining CG. :)

Last edited:
If your benefactor's interest available is so low, that would indicate to me that his countries finances are pretty awful.

If offered I would only accept if I could hedge the currency at less than the available SAFE margin. I would not borrow short and lend long. Imagine if you had lent money denominated in US$ in the early oughties because you could borrow cheap Swiss francs? That would be painful.

I have a significant sum denominated in the loony and have lost 30% of face value in a similar time. Inflation/deflation is an insidious thing but losses are real.

I would get a proper loan contract drawn up and then just put it in an offset account against a main residence loan or just pay off the loan.

Consider that it would be taxable income to them and they could be a non-resident for tax purposes. You may be required to withhold tax from it and remit to the ATO.

I'd buy 20 Canadian cheapies..and make about $650 month on each.

$13,000 month rent
$ 4,000 month lot rent,maintenace,super's wage
$ 1,250 month interest
$ 667 month insurance & taxes

Profit $7083 month ($84,996 year)
about 17% return after all costs

Back