Gillards penalties to multiple property owners

Thursdays age in Melbourne says that julia gillards trying to introduce penalties to multiple property owners . They said over 14000 Australians own 6 or more properties .

They were talking of taking 4% more tax upon purchase
and giving less *tax breaks for neg gearing for multiple property owners
all in the name of curbing multiple property ownership and keeping housing affordability

Last edited:
14,000 is a drop in the ocean. Those 14,000 would probably just shunt their houses off to a trust or whatever structure works best at the time and dodge the tax completely.

Tell me more when they start taxing 4% on anyone who owns more than ONE investment property.

Rumpled elf

Yes interesting point and quite valid. If you hold the property on trust then how will it be treated under such a proposed regime ? They keep talking about a simplified tax system but to date it is just getting more and more complex

Thursdays age in Melbourne says that julia gillards trying to introduce penalties to multiple property owners . They said over 14000 Australians own 6 or more properties .

They were talking of taking 4% more tax upon purchase
and giving less *tax breaks for neg gearing for multiple property owners
all in the name of curbing multiple property ownership and keeping housing affordability

Yeah; I just love paying too much for the IP's I buy. I pay over asking price every time and charge way too much rent to my tenants.

When can we get someone in the Top Job who is wealthy in their own right, has done it off their own back and has even the slimmest modicum of what the point of view is of investors, and anyone else in life who is striving to better themselves financially and not be a sad, myopic pensioner?

Then, and only then, will we get someone who won't look to cripple at every turn the rich or aspiring to be rich. It's a crime to be rich; just ask Labor.

All we ever get is bloody school teachers and textbook economists/lawyers who have never done anything but earn a wage, or gone straight from Uni to Politics, never done any sort of enterprise (Ted Bailleu notwithstanding) and can't possibly see things from an employers' and business owners' perspective. I mean; they only pay all the employees for god's sake....

Anzac Day falls on the same day as Easter Monday (don't start me on Easter :mad:), so hey! let's tack on another freebie day at the end of it, because the workers don't get a fair go.

The problem is you won't get anyone who has a clue about business in that job because the pay is too cr@p and they are used to being able to make a decision which has action from it immediately.

She's a bloody dill who will send all the wealth and wealthy away and leave us with a Nation of sooks and victims and what's worse is she is hamstrung by the loony Greens who want us to live in trees and eat air.

End of rant; feel free to attack. :D

No attacks here mate I totally agree, as if we didn't know she was going to destroy the investor economy the minute she given the seat.

When can we get someone in the Top Job who is wealthy in their own right, has done it off their own back and has even the slimmest modicum of what the point of view is of investors, and anyone else in life who is striving to better themselves financially and not be a sad, myopic pensioner?

What about Rudd where his missus is rich, does that qualify? ;)

I totally agree.....don't get me started on how pissed I was to hear this.

The hair brained idea came from the Neanderthals who run the unions. They figure taxing 14,000 people will make a difference?:rolleyes:

I had a friend who is worried about this..I told him forget about that....if they did that it would cause a panic not only among the people affected but also regular mom and pop investors with 1-2 properties.

The trouble with this country is that too many people wanting handouts. Personally, I think middle class welfare should be wound back.Whilst welfare could be tightened....lets face it the 5% who are on it are not going to develop the skills this country needs.

The other thing is that increase immigration of skilled tradies. The unions have blocked the recognition of foreign tradies...remove this you sort a lot of the building bottlenecks via cheaper buildings as labour costs drop. Look at the UK where tradies wages dropped when they let in the Poles.

Yeah; I just love paying too much for the IP's I buy. I pay over asking price every time and charge way too much rent to my tenants.

Then, and only then, will we get someone who won't look to cripple at every turn the rich or aspiring to be rich. It's a crime to be rich; just ask Labor.

All we ever get is bloody school teachers and textbook economists/lawyers who have never done anything but earn a wage, or gone straight from Uni to Politics, never done any sort of enterprise (Ted Bailleu notwithstanding) and can't possibly see things from an employers' and business owners' perspective. I mean; they only pay all the employees for god's sake....

Anzac Day falls on the same day as Easter Monday (don't start me on Easter :mad:), so hey! let's tack on another freebie day at the end of it, because the workers don't get a fair go.

The problem is you won't get anyone who has a clue about business in that job because the pay is too cr@p and they are used to being able to make a decision which has action from it immediately.

She's a bloody dill who will send all the wealth and wealthy away and leave us with a Nation of sooks and victims and what's worse is she is hamstrung by the loony Greens who want us to live in trees and eat air.

End of rant; feel free to attack. :D

Politicians are their own species.

This easter sucked, got told on Wednesday afternoon we're having a tank delivered next Wednesday (ie, first day back after a long stretch of holidays and a few days earlier than expected). Tank has to go on a gravel base. Gravel has to come from somewhere that needs a few days notice. Gravel has to be put somewhere we needed to remove some concrete foundations first.

I got to flutter my eyelashes at the local gravel place to get some delivered same day and had to rip up all that concrete while waiting for it. On the upside, we get the entire weekend off to recover now instead of spending it leisurely smashing concrete. I have lots of sore muscles today :(

Is there some politician I can sue for having the local hardware store closed for 5 days right when I need it? Maybe they'll send me a free tube of deep heat?

I totally agree.....don't get me started on how pissed I was to hear this.

The hair brained idea came from the Neanderthals who run the unions. They figure taxing 14,000 people will make a difference?:rolleyes:

I had a friend who is worried about this..I told him forget about that....if they did that it would cause a panic not only among the people affected but also regular mom and pop investors with 1-2 properties.

The trouble with this country is that too many people wanting handouts. Personally, I think middle class welfare should be wound back.Whilst welfare could be tightened....lets face it the 5% who are on it are not going to develop the skills this country needs.

The other thing is that increase immigration of skilled tradies. The unions have blocked the recognition of foreign tradies...remove this you sort a lot of the building bottlenecks via cheaper buildings as labour costs drop. Look at the UK where tradies wages dropped when they let in the Poles.

I don't agree with Immigrating more tradesman, they don't earn huge amounts of money for the work they do, it can be a dangerous and nasty environment and it is a skill not everyone can do it.

How about we immigrate loads of doctors or lawyers or politicians for that matter see if they kicked up a stink about it.

While Im at it they banned tradesman from striking over here in WA, Im happy to be wrong but I'm pretty sure forcing someone to work is slavery

I don't know how this would improve the ability for someone to get into the property market.

Probably a bad analogy but it is like saying that the government will create 7000 jobs in a particular area for the unemployed in that town. Who says that all the unemployed folk want to work, or work in that town?

If we had to sell down our properties to reach the "magic" number, who is more likely to buy our properties - property investors who haven't reached that number of properties yet.

They are already importing doctors...there is an oversupply of lawyer so no demand. The AMA is a defacto union.

As for forcing people to work...if they are able they should contribute in some form to society. Not really interested in supporting able people take advantage of benefits. However, I do think that it is impossible to survive on the current dole.

How about we immigrate loads of doctors or lawyers or politicians for that matter see if they kicked up a stink about it.

While Im at it they banned tradesman from striking over here in WA, Im happy to be wrong but I'm pretty sure forcing someone to work is slavery

I don't agree with Immigrating more tradesman, they don't earn huge amounts of money for the work they do

yet many earn outrageous amounts... all too general for in depth discussion

it can be a dangerous and nasty environment

someone needs to do it, does it matter if it's an immigrant or not?

it is a skill not everyone can do it.

that's what skills recognition is for - and from what I have read some our local standards are shoddy compared to those overseas

Kev didn't do it on his own; he married the cash register.

I think he was a fair bit more on the right level of thinking (because of this, but he was still Labor).

Labor when translated means Robin Hood.

Last edited:
Is there some politician I can sue for having the local hardware store closed for 5 days right when I need it? Maybe they'll send me a free tube of deep heat?

The people you need to sue are the Unions and workers themselves.

Together, the Unions and us workers have seen to it that we get more pay for not being there than when we are there (leave loading), and more public holidays with paid time off than anywhere else in the world by a mile.

And everyone whines when they find out that nothing is made in Aus anymore. All the old pensioner "diggers" whine like hell about that aspect of life; they wonder what they fought for, no doubt.

This Easter weekend will cost me about $10k in turnover, and that doesn't include the actual weekend of Sat and Sun, because we are closed those days anyway.

I could open, but the cost in wages is too prohibitive to make it worthwhile.

The combined cost to my business in pub hols per year is another employee. And I'm a tiny little bloke.

Imagine how many more people could be employed in Aus if we got rid of a few of these ridiculous pub hols.

And what about those tradies; they buggered off from my place at midday on Thurs. Couldn't even work a full day ahead of a weekend where they are going to get 5 days in a row away from the tools.

At least there are a lot more chocolate eggs this time of year:D

I could open, but the cost in wages is too prohibitive to make it worthwhile.
Our local hardware store never opens on sundays/public hols and not long on Saturdays either.

Don't blame em, they're quite a small shop. Their big cousin down the road opens limited hours on weekends too, but heaps longer than this one.

or malcolm turnbull ... most politicians are such gits they have no idea how to profitably and fairly run a chook raffle!

was watching something on abc the other night (can't remember what) where they were showing the victorian desal plant have overrun buget by 25% and not even finished ... and the primary reason was that the unions refused to allow work to proceed until the workers were signed under contract to get paid 50% above standard wages.

outreagous!

Bayview you are at the coal face, no armchair, theoretical economic debates for you. you see it how it is.

Furthermore as you said yours is only a small business.
Take it to the next level, a medium/large business and it becomes even more combersome (payroll tax, increased government regulation etc)

And you are quite 'fortunate' in that at least your business is not in direct competition with overseas substitutes.

Best of luck with it.

Back