Give renters a break, landlords warned..!!

good post skater!!

Maybe some of those people should stop wasting money on take-away and actually learning how to cook!

Now there's a govt sponsored project I would support.

Heard on the radio recently, an Aboriginal advocate was complaining the govt was giving out food vouchers instead of cash (think it was somewhere in the NT), as partial benefit payment. Her argument was that it limited their freedom of choice as to how they spent their benefits, and how humiliating it was for them at the check out lane in the supermarket.

The counter argument though is why should the renter share the burden when an investors makes the mistake of overpaying in a big way for a IP. If property was at 2001 levels + CPI then rent would be perfectly priced.

So there is a gap for sure. But is it because rent is too low or is it because people have bid up the price of property way too high?

it suggests there are to many people who can afford to buy a house.. hence price is to high.. less people who are looking for rents..

Investors are not the people in the market at present pushing up prices, its owner occupiers with far too much money!

The investor, just like the tenant, is competing against the market.

Give us landlords more incentive, then. How about allowing a 200% depreciation deduction?
Alex

I think this is a great idea. I wondered why for some time why the goverment doesn't encourage investors with greater deductions or even assistance for investors. This could be means tested, and apply to only brand new housing etc, not existing stock. If not enough new houses are being built, even with the FHOG, then give investors the incentive.

In regards to tenants, I like to treat mine like gold. Mainly because they are all long term, and haven't missed a beat. I'll still raise rents in line with the market, then maybe discount that $5/week. For one tenant I'm going to replace a window a/c wih a split system simply because she has been such a good tenant. Its like rewarding a good employee with a bonus. Thats my view anyway.

Cheers
Paul.

Investors are not the people in the market at present pushing up prices, its owner occupiers with far too much money!

The investor, just like the tenant, is competing against the market.

But that's a discussion about who is causing the increase. Put that aside and investors are still paying these prices to buy an asset that yields miserable income (rent). So the questioin remains is it rent that is too low or have people paid too much for IPs?

But that's a discussion about who is causing the increase. Put that aside and investors are still paying these prices to buy an asset that yields miserable income (rent). So the questioin remains is it rent that is too low or have people paid too much for IPs?

Regardless, landlords can only charge as much rent as the market will bear. If the market can't bear it, we'll have empty IPs. I will simply continue to increase rents to as much as the market is willing to pay.

People read far too many dimensions into this. I certainly do not consider ethics when I discuss rental increases with the agent. A few years ago rents were steady and didn't rise at all. I didn't complain to the tenants saying they 'should' pay me more rent. I just took the market price. Now that it's in my favour, I will take advantage of it.
Alex

It comes down to priorities, in many cases tenants are tenants not because of what they can't afford (their own place) but because of what they won't do without. It doesn't mean they have a lavish lifestyle, it is simply that they make choices which keep them from saving. These same choices keep them from being able to budget from week to week.

True. I have one tenant who is constantly running behind in the rent and water payments. I usually get a 'Form 2' mailed to me by my PM every 6 weeks or so. Yet, they always catch up again and get paid up (never pay ahead mind you). She can also afford the $10pw increase she's getting next month as they're staying on. She's currently paying $30 above the weekly rental to try and knock off the water bill arrears.

This is one of the poorest suburbs in the city, with literally the cheapest rent (for a house) you can get.Should I be feeling sorry for her? No, she can afford it - she just chooses not to sometimes. Fair enough, but then you don't have a right to complain.

Heard on the radio recently, an Aboriginal advocate was complaining the govt was giving out food vouchers instead of cash (think it was somewhere in the NT), as partial benefit payment. Her argument was that it limited their freedom of choice as to how they spent their benefits, and how humiliating it was for them at the check out lane in the supermarket.

I think they should ALL get food vouchers instead of cash AND the rent assistance should go AUTOMATICALLY to the landlord as that is what it is designed for. I will also note that there are MANY welfare recipients who don't find it at all humiliating for them to spend their food vouchers at the checkouts. In fact, some of them have got it down to a fine art as they know how to rotate the charities to get the most amount of assistance possible.

A few years ago rents were steady and didn't rise at all. I didn't complain to the tenants saying they 'should' pay me more rent. I just took the market price. Now that it's in my favour, I will take advantage of it.
Alex

exactly!! did you see headlines saying 'poor landlords struggling to increase rents in line with cpi'? no..

yes.. interesting times for sure...

i wonder what people with mortgages on the brink will do? Now the option to sell the house and rent wont be as appealing ... between a rock and a hard place .. just like ben bernanke..

0.5% rate rise in March will def help escalate this scenario..

It's unlikely people will sell and rent, even though that might be the best option financially How often do people do what's financially best for them? More likely, they'll scrimp and save and try to stay in the house. Many will, but the resultant drop in consumption will hurt the economy. Some won't be able to stay in their houses, and the resultant repossessions may depress markets for a while.
Alex

I don't blame society...I blame the Labour Govt that came into power in about 1972(?) ...that's when all the govt handouts came in. That's when people started getting paid to stay at home and bludge, and live free off hard working tax payers. And they believed it was their due, and still do. I don't think there's anything christian about that!

Hi Sailor,

Sounds like your mum worked extremely hard to provide a good home for you. She certainly is to be admired. I agree with you regarding many believing that they are owed a certain life style. There are many who are paid by the government to stay at home. I believe this is where all of these 'mortgage stress' and 'rental stress' articles originate from. Many people expect to live well, with all of the extras, but don't want to work hard for it, and complain when costs (such as rent) increase. (Not all people have this attitude, but the vocal ones are certainly being heard at the moment).

I read a story in the Herald Sun a couple of days ago. Case study - a couple were finding it hard to meet mortgage payments in Melbourne. They are in their 30's with no children. The husband takes home $1900 a month and the wife took home over $2000. Their mortgage payments had increased to $1970 a month, and they seemed to think they couldn't afford the payments. I couldn't understand why based on the information presented in the article?? They should be able to live on $1500 a mth I would have thought - no children involved? Maybe I am wrong??

Regards Jason.

Hi Sailor,
I read a story in the Herald Sun a couple of days ago. Case study - a couple were finding it hard to meet mortgage payments in Melbourne. They are in their 30's with no children. The husband takes home $1900 a month and the wife took home over $2000. Their mortgage payments had increased to $1970 a month, and they seemed to think they couldn't afford the payments. I couldn't understand why based on the information presented in the article?? They should be able to live on $1500 a mth I would have thought - no children involved? Maybe I am wrong??
Regards Jason.

I know I couldn't live on $187 a week before other expenses, could you?

Power, car or two, gas, internet and so on.
Not to mention ongoing costs for having a house....even putting fuel in the mower or getting a pizza would be a big deal.

I know I couldn't live on $187 a week before other expenses, could you?

Power, car or two, gas, internet and so on.
Not to mention ongoing costs for having a house....even putting fuel in the mower or getting a pizza would be a big deal.

What are you reading? The combined income is over 3,900 per month. Mortgage payments 1,970. So that's at least 2000 per month or about 460 per week. For a couple with no kids, that's not enough?
Alex

What are you reading? The combined income is over 3,900 per month. Mortgage payments 1,970. So that's at least 2000 per month or about 460 per week. For a couple with no kids, that's not enough?
Alex

1500 a month (from the other post)
/4 weeks
= $375
/2 people
=$187

Sure some expenses would be shared, like food and bills for example. But look at stuff like travel for example. Two cars or even weekly tickets cost a lot of that.

Edit: You are right though, its 2000 not 1500.
Even so it would be tough the mortgage is not the only outgoing as we all know.

You're always assuming that all investors are going to buy IP's with cr@p yields YM, and be heavily neg geared.

Why?

Haven't you been here long enough now to realise that there are different markets, different strategies and different levels of debt that a person can carry with their investments?

Most experienced investors are not gunna buy an IP with a 2% yield as a stand alone purchase. The inexperienced, or cashed up but with no financial smarts brigade might (plenty of them around); but they will disappear pretty quickly. Quite often they are the horror stories of "doing their nuts" that you hear about in the news.

The experienced investors may do it if they are confident there will be a subdivision possibility, they know a boom is about to start and they can do a flip in the near future (but this is more a trader than an investor), and/or they are rolling in excess income that they can use to hold it until such a time.

The reality is that when yields are bad, investors don't usually buy much; it's probably a boom time, and most of these buyers will be owner/occupiers, who cause most of the booms in the first place.

You may remember that investors make up a minority of the market - less than 1/3rd, and we are about trying to buy cheap; not push up the prices.

Regards Jason.

Car loans? Credit Card? Buy now, pay later deals that are now due?

Back