Gladesville or Kogarah (Sydney) Opinions!!!!!

Gladesville or Kogarah Opinions!!!!!

Hi All,

I have been looking at purchasing our next IP with a budget of $350k - $450k. I’m interested in a 2BR Unit in Gladesville or Kogarah, in the low $300K’s. Just wondering, what are people’s opinions of these two suburbs?

Another option I’ve been considering is to purchasing a 2/3BD house in the mid/high $400K’s in Banksia or Bexley North. What are people’s opinions on this one?

I’m aware that a house will be a higher running cost, as it is a bigger loan but in the long run should do better for CG or will it?

So at this stage not sure which option I should go for, a Unit in Gladesville/Kogarah ($low $300K's) or a run down house in Banksia/Bexley North (mid/high $400k's)

Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers:)
George

Last edited:
Anyone, looks like no one has interest in these areas or are they keeping it a secret?:(

Has anyone purchased an IP in the last year or so? Would like to get some opinions.

I think its because there is nothing exciting or different about the suburbs (in the current market) you mentioned to excite a post from other property investors. They are really just non descript Sydney suburbs.

Whats your reason for picking these suburbs over the hundreds in Sydney?

Gladesville is a nice place to live, though the local Housing commish block was called "Blandville Court "

Its not far from water, on the main bus trunk route into CBD, is well located to access to the M2 M4 and M5

ta
rolf

Gladesville is a nice place to live, though the local Housing commish block was called "Blandville Court "

Its not far from water, on the main bus trunk route into CBD, is well located to access to the M2 M4 and M5

ta
rolf

Yep, I'm aware of Blandville Court commission units, but I've heard that nice kind of people live in these units, older age people.

I agree with you Rolf, that Gladesville is well located to CBD access (7km), also Chatswood on the other side. Also close to Balmain & Ryde.

And if (IF) the North West Metro link goes ahead as promised, then I would say there would be more interest in this area.

http://www.hawkesbury.nsw.gov.au/news/pages/28311.html
:D:D:D

I just think that units in Gladesville are under valued for this area, comparing to neighbouring suburbs.

But in the long tern I just have a feeling that it would do well.

Thanks for the reply Rolf.

How about anyone on any comments for Kogarah.

George

If you ask me, Gladesville is Blandsville. Used to see some good bands at the Bayview pub on Vic. Rd tho.

If you want to do well with units in that radius of the city you need to buy in lifestyle suburbs. Try Balmain, Rozelle, Leichhardt, Newtown etc.

Just not right now.

Hi All,
So at this stage not sure which option I should go for, a Unit in Gladesville/Kogarah ($low $300K's) or a run down house in Banksia/Bexley North (mid/high $400k's)
George

George

In this environment I think yields are very important and units have better yields but I think in the long run the house will be a better option.

If it was me I'd buy a rundown house and do some cosmetic fixing up to increase it's rent.

Cheers

a friend lives in Kogarah and doesn't think too highly of it.

I think Gladesville has more prestige than Kogarah, being well placed for chatswood/macquarie park area, also not too far from CBD.

Thanks all for your replies.

It's so confusing to decide in which areas to invest, with the current market there are allot of options & that's what makes it so difficult to decide:confused:. I'm looking for CG in the median to long term, would be nice a short term but I don't think in current market we will see that.

I know that no one can predict the market & use that crystal ball, but would be nice to know that at least I won't do so badly.

Every person’s opinions are different, but good idea to take note of maybe.

Are any hot spot reports worth purchasing? Or should I just keep on researching my own?

Once again, thanks to all for your replies.

maybe look around the epping-chatswood rail link? (& check when it is due for completion?) It will be more attractive to ppl with better public transport (& faster access to CBD, etc?)

I like Gladesville (have an IP there myself) but can't comment on Kogarah- sorry. Gladesville was actually my pick 7yrs ago when I purchased, for it's solid growth in units over the previous 10yrs, it's position and proximity to the CBD (9km) and it's "rentablility" factor. Never had an issue securing a tenant and my unit has appreciated quite satisfactorily over the period I've held it (from $213K to today's value of approx $380-390K) so I've been happy.
At the moment there are some great buys in the suburb (in my opinion) and you can even pick up a nice 1bed with parking for the mid to high $200K's.
Your budget of $350-450K would cover so many more suburbs, however- why did you pick these two only?

Kogarah has a LOT of units so if you are trying to find something 'different', then it's probably not the best suburb to pick.

On the other hand, Kogarah is really convinent and has a pretty much everything. (Shopping, dining...etc)

Your budget of $350-450K would cover so many more suburbs, however- why did you pick these two only?

Hi Jacque,

Thanks for your reply.:)

Why Gladesville? I find this suburb close for travel to CBD, 8km. Also comparing the median unit’s price to houses price, a big difference in gap. And neighbouring suburbs with a median of $500k+ for units. Allot of Professionals live in this suburb, so should not have troubles with rentals & good rental yields.

Why Kogarah? Again, close to CBD, Airport, and Ocean. Has a train that gets you into CBD in 10 minutes. Close to TAFE,schools, Westfield, Hospital. Good rental yields & low rental vacancy.

Also I've been looking at Turrella, which I find it close to CBD & near a train station.

Anyone with comments on Turrella?

With my budget in the low $400k's, where would you buy and why?

I'm looking at an IP that would cost me no more than $200 per week before tax.

George

Thanks Adrian & Amber,

How accurate are these Residex reports? Has anyone used them in the past & found that they have achieved the projected CG over the given years?

George

They claim that 90% of their Top 100 predicted growth suburbs end up as the actual top 100 growth suburbs five years later.

Back