Global credit crisis may be close to ending - Alan Greenspan

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gc6qIkuRxSi5OmQHiPSGw_BwGHtQ

LONDON (AFP) — The former Federal Reserve chairman Alan Greenspan suggested here Monday that the global credit crisis triggered in August might be coming to an end.

At a conference on the world economy, British Prime Minister Gordon Brown meanwhile stressed the need for financial reforms that would prevent such a crisis occurring again.

Addressing business leaders, Greenspan said: "Is this ... credit crisis about to be over? Possibly."

The former Fed chief pointed to the re-emergence of trading in risky bonds in the United States as a sign that the global credit squeeze was easing.

He also reiterated his belief that the abrupt upheaval in world financial markets caused by lending woes "was an accident waiting to happen."

Greenspan told business leaders: "If it had not been triggered by the large loss suffered on American securitised sub-prime mortgages, it would have eventually surfaced as a rupture of some other financial product in the market."

Two months ago a credit squeeze emerged when banks around the world began to be reticent about lending to each other.

This was caused by problems in the US housing market, particularly in the "subprime" or high-risk sector, which landed many banks and investment funds with large losses.

I'd prefer to substitute the word "credit" with "the herd confidence" when reading Greenspan comments.

The sub-prime mess of over-lending and over-borrowing is still there by contractual agreements, which take years to unwind.

The current rebound in the US and world-wide stock markets is driven by greed for bargain buys and hope for continuing future profits, with high expectation that the US government will do anything and everything to keep the world from recession.

Arggg, I know this is a fairly safe assumption between now and the next US election. Love those stocks... :D

He also reiterated his belief that the abrupt upheaval in world financial markets caused by lending woes "was an accident waiting to happen."

What a cheeky sod! He gave these spendthrifts all the easy money and his successor bailed them out. Once they knew they're too big to fail why wouldn't they carry on with their old, bad habits?

fundamentally the us economy is sick, but the rate cut has sparked another wave of runaway bullrun. There are 2 things u can do now (depending on ur risk appetite), go with the market and make a lot of money (or prepare to lose a lot), or sit tight and wait for the final capitulation of bulls (preceded by capitulation of bears or shorts), and wait for the right time to bargain hunt. I'm in the "sitting on the fence" camp and trying to pay off my home loan as quickly as I can with every single cent in my pocket.. no spare "risk money" to lose as the sentiment of sharemarket can turn anyday now..

I'm no surfie but I may be thinking like one.

Why get off a good wave? Only when the reef looks likely to take my arms off am I going to abandon it. It has worked with RE. I thought that had run it's course a couple of years ago but it still powers ahead for me. :D Similarly the resource companies will go north, long after we think they must fall to ground.

Again I will remind you that I use BHP as a proxy for the resource sector generally, but who'da thunk 46 bucks?

nah, u're right, don't get off the wave while it's hot, although the indicator shows it's massively overbought and the trading volume isn't very convincing (esp. resource stocks), but I guess if u're alert enough u'll get off the wave before it turns into a tsunami and hits the shore, and leaving massive profit intact .

Back