"Global" tax for Aussie expats from July 1

There goes a big chunk of my pay packet!

With the Non-Resident for tax purposes, I think you'll find that when you eventuall come home for tax reasons so to speak, the ATO is allowed to ask where have you been, and what Tax did you pay there?
This is what the UK people get asked, and I am sure it is same for us.

M accountant said this was coming if Kev won, she was right.

I work overseas - 9 weeks on 4 weeks off. I now have to pay additional tax because apparently I dont pay enough here (I have never had a tax free salary). I gain no benefit from Australian infrastructure whilst here in a 3rd world country where we need to make our own water and electricity - but I have to pay for it. In Australia people go outside of the capital cities to get ahead - aka the mines - I went a ltitle further to get ahead - why would I bother now as it is the same as home. I may as well come home, add to the already overloaded employment system there and try and get an 8 days on 6 days off roster. What happened to working hard to get ahead being rewarded. I have no earnings in Australia, spend all my money at home GST, stamp duty etc, have no claims agaisnt Australian tax. I see my current situation being an advantage to the Australian economy. Instead I will come home and be like every other Australian and struggle udner an over taxed system. Even though I work a rotational roster I have eben overseas for many many years now - surely that is non resident for taxation purposes?

Back