Glossy vs Matt Tiles & Size

Renovating an IP circa early 70's in the Frankston South area

We are hoping to get some feedback on glossy vs matt tiles.

Having had no children we were wondering about the safety issues of glossy tiles, we plan on running them through hallway, kitchen, bathrooms etc.

When renting the property which would tenants & which is most practical, friends are telling me to stay away from the glossy due to children slipping, our preference is for a tile around 400x400 (mainly due to small size of the house).

As an aside we are doing the walls half strength Hog Bristle & looking for a slightly off white with a little black running through.

Does anyone have any help they can offer with this

Thanks

You should have no trouble with 400 x 400 tiles or even 450 x 450. I assume, seeing everyone is using them these days, that those polished porcelain tiles would be rated for grip as floor tiles. If you are going down this route, make sure you purchase from a reputable store who can show you the rating. I assume they're only slippery when wet. Nevertheless, if you're putting tiles into living areas I'd be going matt. Tiled floors are pretty cold in Melbourne and a gloss finish makes them look colder, IMO.
With the hogs bristle, if you are going white trims I would choose pure white. The other popular combo right now is apparently 1/2 HB on the walls and 1/4 HB on the trims, which is probably more of an up-to-date look than the white trim look.

Last edited:
I would definately go with the matte finish. We are currently renting ourselves for a few years and the house we are in has glossy tiles in the kitchen, dining and bathrooms. Both our 2yo and myself have had numerous slips on the tiles when wet already, including me landing heavily on the ide of the bath. Admittedly the house we're in is about 10 yrs old so they may have safer glossy tiles available these days, but I would still suggest matte if your potential tennants would be families with children.
In regards to the size, I think 400 x 400 or 450 x 450 is perfect ... nice and big and easier to keep clean IMHO.

Gloss looks great when new and seems to be the trend.
However, the gloss wears and they can soon look less attractive than matt. High traffic areas and high heeled shoes knock the gloss in particular.

I haven't seen any info saying they are more slippery than matt, but you'd think they are.

Nevertheless, tiles are lower maintenance than timber, carpet, vinyl, cork, but agree they are colder and harder underfoot, and anything dropped on them brakes.

If it is a long term hold IP, I'd go with matt.

Gloss finish on tiles and timber looks good when new.

But it really shows the marks and needs a regular cleaning regime. Daily is best - thats too much mopping for me.

I much prefer a matt finish on both.

Safer too.

I can tell you from experience the gloss tile is dangerous. We have them and the slightes bit of moisture on your shoe or foot or socks and you end up on your backside.
We have it on our list to replace them soon. They also scratch easily, and they chip very very easily.
Get the matt finish you wont regret it.

cheers

Mrs Jade is hog bristle the new in paint colour?
I painted my bedroom 5 years ago in this and had the feature wall in charlie horse brown [no not joking] It looked really good and l am thinking of doing it again.

cheers

Everyone considers Hogs Bristle when looking for a white paint.

I plan on using different strengths to paint my next place.

Mrs Jade is hog bristle the new in paint colour?
I painted my bedroom 5 years ago in this and had the feature wall in charlie horse brown [no not joking] It looked really good and l am thinking of doing it again.
Yeah, it's apparently the most popular neutral right now. You were a bit ahead of the times, yadreamin! It's popular in 1/4, 1/2 and full strength though all are quite different looks.
Love the name 'charlie horse brown' though! Better look that one up.

Thanks for that...and the glossy tiles looked so good, off to tile shop to change over glossy samples to matt.

Having removed all the tiles there is a light yellow slightly sticky adhesive left, tiles came off easily but left this residue, does it have to come off before laying new tiles...

Thanks

Leave the glue - they will just lather it with tile cement like icing on a cake before putting the new tiles down!

Back