Going guarantor

Hi all,

Was just wondering about the process of guaranteeing loans for others. A number of people on the forum have mentioned the practice as a good way for securing funds when "going it alone" isnt enough. Ive noticed a few on the forum have proposed their parents guaranteeing loans for them, while a few of the parents on the forum have done this for their own children (and there should be more like you!).

My question is: How does this affect the serviceability of the guarantor? Ive heard in some instances and with some lenders, being a guarantor effectively means that you are responsible for the entire debt in terms of serviceability. If a person was to go guarantor on a loan for someone else, would this affect the guarantors chances of securing finance for themselves 3 or 6 months down the track? How do banks assess loans when a guarantor is present? Is it simply a matter of adding the assets/serviceability of the borrower and the guarantor, or is it more complicated than that? Does the guarantor need to prove that, in a worst-case-scenario, they have the means to service the debt on their own?
And is there a limit to the number of loans you can provide a guarantee for before a bank says enough?

Thanx,

Jamie :eek:

Hi Jamie!

I'm sure you will get a great response to your question, but in the meantime, try to do a search on guarantor.

There have been a few really good threads discussing the effect on your serviceability by going guarantor.

See if you can augment the answers you will get here, with what's in the archive. :)

hope this helps

asy :D

Hi Jamie

Guarantor methods are a last resort - blech .

In many cases I refuse to take on the business and refer it on to others.

The best way to describe a "serviceability" guarantee is one of jointly and severally liable for the debt.

This means that the guarantors financial position can be diminished by the guarantee.

There are promoters that say a guarantee is a just a contingent liability and may never be called.

There are commonly better and less risky ways for M&D for example to help, like getting their own loan for the kids etc .

ta

Rolf

Back