going to the USA to renovate an investment property???

Hi folks
What would be required by USA imigration authorities if I wanted to go to the USA to live in an investment property while renovating it(Australian citizen). I know I can stay for ninety days on a holiday but what about for other activities like the above purpose ...sourcing and renovating IP's
Thanks for any ideas about this proposal.
Si:)

If you're happy with the 90 days, you can probably do it on a visitors' visa. But why not just call the US embassy and ask them? :)

You can apply for a b1/b2 visa, it may allow you to stay in US for 6 months.
Where is your investment property? I bought one in Florida in Jan.

House, 4 bed, 2.5 bath, right on a small lake. Not sure about the vacancy rate there, it took me about 2 months to rent it out, but at least it's 100% occupied.

My understanding is that real estate is classified as 'passive' investment, and doesn't qualify. However, there were some special programs that granted green cards for large real estate investment in 2008 and 2009, mainly to attract international investors. I don't think they exist any more.

Cheers. Tide

Just be very careful that whatever kind of visa you use, you don't end up inadvertently making yourself a tax resident of the USA when your intention was not to be a tax resident.

Back