Gold Coast Auction? & Commission

Have an apartment between Gold Coast & Broadbeach, apparently the market is pretty slow there.

Agent is strongly pushing for Auction & offers reasons for this against Private treaty as follows.

We offer the option of sale by private treaty or auction to our sellers and in this case, xxxxxx (principal Agent) recommends an auction campaign as the best approach to achieving an optimum price for your property. Given its features, we feel that removing the price will encourage more parties to enquire on the property and become emotionally committed to it. This emotional commitment is often what will allow your property to reach a higher than anticipated sale price. Changing the thought process of the buyer gets them thinking how far they need to go down in price eg. low offers, whereas in an auction they have to think how high up in price they have to go to beat the other buyers. The auction process also offers an expedient sales experience in many cases as we are noting that property sold by private treaty is in many instances sitting on the market for some 120 days with the changing economy. Please see the pros and cons below:

Sale by auction
• Sold in 30 days (less time on market)
• Cash contract – no finance clause stretching a minimum of 21 days
• No pest and building inspection – buyer must complete this before auction
• Creates competition (buyer against buyer)
• Opportunity to achieve a premium price
• Deadline for buyer to make a decision to purchase – cant keep waiting to see what comes on the market each week
• Creates urgency
• Advertising without a price widens the buyer net

Private Treaty
• Setting a fixed price where you can’t go up, only down
• Currently the average days on the market 120-160
• Generally all offers/contracts will be subject to at least 21 days finance with extensions required frequently
• Generally all offers/contracts will be subject to at least 7-14 days pest & building
• Buyers don’t have to rush to make a decision as there are no time limits imposed
• Conditional contracts are common at present: long settlements
• Buyers tend to judge the property on price before they judge it on its attributes

Not really pros & cons, all pros for auction all cons for private sale.

Also they are asking commission of 5% of first $18k then 2.5% on balance which I think is very expensive.

Can anybody offer advice?

That commission is normal. You add $18K to the sale price and divide the total by 40. Same thing.

Tell the agent you will go to auction, but will pay for the large sign and internet only, really nothing more than the advertising for a private treaty sale. See what happens :D.

I reckon they will try to tell you that you will need a $5K auction advertising programme which will put the agency name in bold in lots of newspaper advertisements.

If they price the place correctly, internet advertising should bring in the buyers (if they are out there) and any more expensive auction programme is only free advertising for their agency.

House in our street sold after $25K advertising budget. Stupid!

Another house in our street, same agent, spending $10K on advertising. Stupid!

Have an apartment between Gold Coast & Broadbeach, apparently the market is pretty slow there.

Agent is strongly pushing for Auction & offers reasons for this against Private treaty as follows.

We offer the option of sale by private treaty or auction to our sellers and in this case, xxxxxx (principal Agent) recommends an auction campaign as the best approach to achieving an optimum price for your property. Given its features, we feel that removing the price will encourage more parties to enquire on the property and become emotionally committed to it. This emotional commitment is often what will allow your property to reach a higher than anticipated sale price. Changing the thought process of the buyer gets them thinking how far they need to go down in price eg. low offers, whereas in an auction they have to think how high up in price they have to go to beat the other buyers. The auction process also offers an expedient sales experience in many cases as we are noting that property sold by private treaty is in many instances sitting on the market for some 120 days with the changing economy. Please see the pros and cons below:

Sale by auction
• Sold in 30 days (less time on market)
• Cash contract – no finance clause stretching a minimum of 21 days
• No pest and building inspection – buyer must complete this before auction
• Creates competition (buyer against buyer)
• Opportunity to achieve a premium price
• Deadline for buyer to make a decision to purchase – cant keep waiting to see what comes on the market each week
• Creates urgency
• Advertising without a price widens the buyer net

Private Treaty
• Setting a fixed price where you can’t go up, only down
• Currently the average days on the market 120-160
• Generally all offers/contracts will be subject to at least 21 days finance with extensions required frequently
• Generally all offers/contracts will be subject to at least 7-14 days pest & building
• Buyers don’t have to rush to make a decision as there are no time limits imposed
• Conditional contracts are common at present: long settlements
• Buyers tend to judge the property on price before they judge it on its attributes

Not really pros & cons, all pros for auction all cons for private sale.

Also they are asking commission of 5% of first $18k then 2.5% on balance which I think is very expensive.

I generally agree with the above.

Just note that there IS pressure on the seller ( as well as potential buyers, as re agents would repeat) in auction processes.
What if the turnout is minimal and the spread between min bid price and your reserve is large? If there are not many buyers and the reserve cannot be met, then the RE agent may put pressure on you, the seller, to accept what 'the market is offering'.
There is no clear cut answer to if you should sell/but at auctions. It is a bit of a risk.

Which suburb is your property? Is it Broadbeach? There are new apartment blocks recently on the market, so you have some competition there. Does yours have a point of difference?

Agent is strongly pushing for Auction.....

Yes, I believe that an auction is in their best intesests as Wylie said. Lots of market exposure... for them.... plus they don't have to pay for it....

Gold Coast market is very quiet at the moment.

I don't see the Gold Coast as a good market for auctions. Clearance rates for the past 12 months of around 27% (according to Australian Property Monitors), nothing like the Melbourne market.

In my observation, many of the properties that go up for auction, come back on the market by private treaty anyway, listed as 'passed in at auction for $XXX'.

My opinions are based on my position as a buyer, not a seller, but if I were selling, I would try private treaty, and probably go through an agency that doesn't rely on auctions first and foremost.

Look at listings and talk to a few agents to get a feel for who and what might work best for you

Gold Coast market is very quiet at the moment.

I don't see the Gold Coast as a good market for auctions. Clearance rates for the past 12 months of around 27% (according to Australian Property Monitors), nothing like the Melbourne market.

In my observation, many of the properties that go up for auction, come back on the market by private treaty anyway, listed as 'passed in at auction for $XXX'.

My opinions are based on my position as a buyer, not a seller, but if I were selling, I would try private treaty, and probably go through an agency that doesn't rely on auctions first and foremost.

Look at listings and talk to a few agents to get a feel for who and what might work best for you

Yeah...the GC is in a bit of trouble. Lots of construction during the boom years have resulted in oversupply. Whats more, the GC does not have the jobs and GDP that Syd/Mel or even Bris have, so i'd be very careful investing in the GC.
Will take a while for the market to absorb the supply and result in price growth. The GC is also heavilly dependant on overseas tourists, and the global economy aint that great, and the high Aussie dollar aint helping it either. I think there are better deals elsewhere in the country. Id personally stick to near or in the capital cities , esp syd/mel - thats prob the safest bet in uncertain markets.

Thanks everyone for good advice

Posted as I felt agent just wanted a quick easy sale & and I would cop a little vendor conditioning during campaign. (probably get that anyway)

My commercial agent was of the same opinion as most posters...slow market, nothing that would make property unique... stay away from auction.

Property has never been rented & is only used couple of weeks a year & market not going anywhere there other than backwards

Not a distressed vendor, will list as a private treaty.

Anyone recommend a good agent there? property on border of Broadbeach & Surfers.

Cheers

Back