Gold Sale up to __%off, buy 1 get__FREE

G20 supports IMF's plan to sell 403 tons of gold

Endorsement signals plan likely to be approved by member countries this year

By Moming Zhou, MarketWatch
Last update: 3:30 p.m. EDT April 2, 2009
comments.png
Comments: 110

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Leaders from the Group of 20 nations Thursday endorsed the International Monetary Fund's plan to sell 403 tons of gold to raise funds to support the world's poorest countries.

The announcement from G20 leaders helped add pressures to Thursday's gold trading. Gold futures fell $20.30, or 2.2%, to $905.80 an ounce in recent trading on the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. See Metals Stocks.
The G20 vowed in its statement to "use the additional resources from agreed IMF gold sales for concessional finance for the poorest countries." Read more on G20.
The endorsement suggests that the IMF's gold sales plan is likely to be approved by its member countries later this year.
The IMF has been planning to sell gold since as early as 2007 to diversify its revenues and strengthen its balance sheet. But the plan needs to be approved by an 85% majority vote from its 185 members.
The U.S., which has 17% voting power in the fund, essentially holds veto power. The U.S. government has informed the IMF that Congressional authorization by law is required before it is able to support the plan.
The U.S. Treasury announced last year that it will seek authority from Congress.
Hussein Allidina, an analyst at Morgan Stanley, said in a note Thursday that he expects the IMF to implement the sales over the next few years, "but do not believe that this presents a strong negative risk to gold prices - as it will be 'orderly' and maybe even off market."
The US administration has seemed supportive, both for expanding the IMF's role as well as helping its long-term funding challenges. This makes the proposed IMF gold sales much more likely, as the US Congress effectively has a veto on this decision, with the US having a 17% vote on an IMF decision that needs 85% to pass.
Minimize market impact
The IMF, which holds more than 3,200 tons of gold, is the third-largest holder in the world after the U.S. and Germany.
Most of the IMF's gold holdings come from the fund's member countries, which are required to commit 25% of their quota in gold. The fund can't sell those holdings into the markets.
But an additional 403.3 tons of gold the fund acquired through off-market transactions in 1999 and 2000 - such as interest payment from countries that received IMF loans - are not subject to the restriction.
If member countries approved the gold sales, the IMF can find ready buyers in countries with low gold reserves, especially Russia and some Asian countries such as China, Taiwan, and India.
China, with less than 1% of its $2 trillion reserves held in gold, has expressed interest in buying more gold, crude oil, and other strategic commodities.
According to the IMF's plan, the gold selling will be implemented in coordination with major central banks to minimize the impact on the market.
The European Central Bank said Wednesday it had completed the sale of 35.5 tons of gold.
The gold sales were in full conformity with the second Central Banks Gold Agreement, which was signed in 2004 by the ECB and other European major official gold holders.
The second CBGA, which caps total gold sales of the signatories at 500 tons a year, expires in September. Some analysts expect a third CBGA to be signed before September.
greendot.gif

Moming Zhou is a MarketWatch reporter based in New York.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/G20-supports-IMF-plan-raise/story.aspx?guid={5ABAE8F2-060D-44BC-9905-EB79665AEACE}

What will this do to prices?

Dave

I think the IMF actually selling the gold seems unlikely, probably just a threat to try and push the price of gold down. They've been harping on about this sale for a couple of months (?) already.

I think the more likely reason for gold falling in price (short term) would be confidence in the equities market which is pushing fear out of the price.

hi
very little
the gold buyer market is like a waste land at the moment its like being in a desert with no water
there are lots of buyers but very little gold bullien sales.
As the gold is not there anyone that has a large gold seller would love to chat.
even the large gold user are having fun get their hands on the stuff
it not the price as everyone works ont he spot price less a discount its supply thats the problem.
most of thins gold will go from one vault into another vault so will do very little to the price I think.
there is one mandate buyer that has the mandate for twice this amount in volume and they are in sydney and perth.
so sounds like alot but its not really with the volumes that are moved

:eek: OMG

Sunfish
Quick get out now.......
Why? That announcement was last night and has already prompted a $20 fall. Bit late to sell today. I may take the opportunity to buy a little in line with my current policy of slowly buying the dips in resource related companies.

The $4 rise in POO negates the fall in gold on my portfolio.

The IMF has been huffing and puffing about selling gold for ages but most of the gold they have is not theirs to sell! I'm unsure of the details but, in essence, it still belongs to the sponsoring countries and is held as a guarantee. I'll see if I can understand (I'm not much good at reading detailed statements and rely on commentators to tell me what it means) if the gold owners have agreed that their gold is to be sold and the IMF pocket the proceeds.

Guffer Brown, the now UK PM sold a load of gold when the price was around $240. He announced it first so that everyone knew that he was going to dump a load and magically the price dropped so he got even less for it. It was almost as if he was looking to get the lowest price possible to screw the taxpayers it belonged to.

I believe the RBA still has 80 tonnes left after their sale of the bulk of our gold in 1997.

http://www.rba.gov.au/MediaReleases/1997/mr_97_13.html

Thanks Hobo. I have my antenna up for any data re our gold reserves but it is almost non-existent.

Have you got a link to the "80 tons" bit? I would be surprised, but I'm willing to be corrected.

This bit:
Over the past five years, a number of central banks have sold gold from their reserves, the most prominent being the central banks of Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, Portugal and South Africa.
does little to inspire confidence. It indicates, to me, a subservience to greater powers similar to KRudd's subservience to the US now.

Do any of the conservatives here seriously think a Howard gov would have walked an independent path?

Have you got a link to the "80 tons" bit? I would be surprised, but I'm willing to be corrected.
The article I linked mentions 80 tonnes of gold left after the sale of 167 tonnes. This article in 2004 confirms that the RBA still had it at the time:
The RBA also holds 80 tonnes of gold, valued at $1.5 billion. The US dollar price of gold rallied strongly during 2003/04, gaining around 25 per cent through to end April.
http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsA...rts/2004/Pdf/operations_financial_markets.pdf

You can also sign up (for free) at gold.org (WGC) to view their current reserve stats showing Australia still has the 80t as of March 2009.

considering that there was an agreement between european banks to reduce selling gold several years ago to artificially push the prices up, according to which they are supposed to start selling somewhere about now, i won't be surprised to see gold drop in the next year-two

Quote:
The RBA also holds 80 tonnes of gold, valued at $1.5 billion. The US dollar price of gold rallied strongly during 2003/04, gaining around 25 per cent through to end April.

The Gold Price is A$40,216.88 per kilo today. If we still have 80 tons that's now worth about A$3.2 Billion. Would the RBA pay capital gains tax if it sold it?

The article I linked mentions 80 tonnes of gold left after the sale of 167 tonnes. This article in 2004 confirms that the RBA still had it at the time:

http://www.rba.gov.au/PublicationsA...rts/2004/Pdf/operations_financial_markets.pdf

You can also sign up (for free) at gold.org (WGC) to view their current reserve stats showing Australia still has the 80t as of March 2009.

Thanks for those links Hobo. I am now better informed and it seems we do, indeed, have 80 tons in reserve.

It also seems Costello has avoided the opprobrium that has rained on Gordon Brown though. A search found this passage on financialsense.com:

ANALYZING THE AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR: Up, Down, and Under
by Gary Dorsch
Editor, Global Money Trends Magazine
February 13, 2006

On July 3, 1997, the RBA announced, "Over the past six months, the Reserve Bank has sold 167 tons of gold, reducing its holdings from 247 tons to 80 tons." The RBA said it planned no further gold sales, but was widely accused of betraying local gold miners, undermining the gold price and the Australian economy.

Gold mining shares soon plunged, the Australian stock market tumbled, and gold skidded to its lowest level since 1985 to $325 per ounce. The gold sales soured currency market psychology, and toppled the Aussie from 81 US-cents level to as low as 55 US-cents a year later. To offset the pain in the equity markets, RBA governor Ian McFarlane guided the 3-month Aussie deposit rate lower from 7.00% to 4.50%, but also greased the skids under the Aussie dollar from 1999 to early 2001.

Is this the same Mr Costello who claims to be an even greater treasurer than Keating?

Back